The Largest game publisher in the world?

'That Guy'

In a surprise move that has gamers stunned, Vivendi (divisions of which include Blizzard and Sierra) and Activision (publishers of Guitar Hero III, Call of Duty 4, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground and more) have merged in a deal worth $18.9 billion. The resulting company, Activision Blizzard, is now the world's largest video games publisher.

Exactly what this means for PS3 owners (or any other gamers, for that matter) is unclear as of yet. No doubt we'll hear more details regarding the merger and what this means with regards to Vivendi Blizzard's gaming frachises over the coming weeks. We'll be sure to keep you up to date as more information becomes available.

This is good news for Guitar Hero fans I'd expect. With Vivendi's massive music library the series won't need to be stuck using so many covers.

Also, Activision Blizzard is a pretty bad name. Surely they could have done something a bit better than that?

This is good news for Guitar Hero fans I'd expect. With Vivendi's massive music library the series won't need to be stuck using so many covers.

Also, Activision Blizzard is a pretty bad name. Surely they could have done something a bit better than that?

Well, I like it -_-

Nah, point is, they were never going to please EVERYONE with the name anyway.

I don't get how this makes them the biggest publisher... Um they're still well behind EA.

EA's acquired Origin Systems, Bullfrog Maxis, Tiburon and Westwood in the past, with Criterion and Digital Illisions not that long ago... With BioWare and Pandemic just recently.

That's not counting all EA's umpteen dozens of other studios and the different things they have their fingers in. Especially their growing exclusive deals and such, like with Valve.

Sure Activision was fairly big, but EA dwarfed them along with everyone else before, and just by adding Blizzard doesn't exactly make them instantly become #1.

QUOTE(ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster @ 2nd Dec 2007, 4:34 pm) *

QUOTE(Dragsy 7-0 @ 2nd Dec 2007, 8:37 pm) *

Actiblizzard.

Blizzivision. thumbsup.gif

I like that name kind of reminds me of Squenix

Edited by Colly

I don't think Valve will ever get bought out by EA, Valve is too strong of a company and does not need a publisher to survive.

The current relationship between the two companies is perfect as is and i don't think either will try to change it.

Though bottom line is EA is not in any trouble of losing atleast a #2 spot, if they even lost thier #1 Spot.

Edited by Universal

I don't get how this makes them the biggest publisher... Um they're still well behind EA.

EA's acquired Origin Systems, Bullfrog Maxis, Tiburon and Westwood in the past, with Criterion and Digital Illisions not that long ago... With BioWare and Pandemic just recently.

That's not counting all EA's umpteen dozens of other studios and the different things they have their fingers in. Especially their growing exclusive deals and such, like with Valve.

Sure Activision was fairly big, but EA dwarfed them along with everyone else before, and just by adding Blizzard doesn't exactly make them instantly become #1.

Edited by Drifter_2000

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the combined Guitar Hero and Warcraft franchises on their own are a pretty good contender to EA's position at the top of the industry by now, and that's before you factor in the likes of other big sellers like Tony Hawk's, and anything else that the two now own.