January '08 Transfer Thread

Lineker

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teenage Gillingham striker Luke Freeman has completed his expected move to Premier League giants Arsenal.

The 15-year-old has attracted interest from several clubs but has joined the Gunners after a fee - reported to be around £200,000 - was agreed.

Freeman, who turns 16 in March, has signed a two-year deal to become part of Arsenal's youth set-up on their schoolboy/scholar scheme.

He became the youngest player ever to feature in the FA Cup in November.

West Ham and Newcastle were among the other clubs to have targeted him.

Gillingham chairman Paul Scally said: "It is a shame for Gillingham to lose a special talent such as Luke but we cannot stand in the way of such a fantastic opportunity.

"Arsenal have gone about their business in a fair and commendable way so it was a pleasure to do the deal with them.

"They are a fantastic club and I know that they are the right ones to take Luke on and make him into a Premiership player."

Guest Ringmaster

Fred hasn't done anything good in about two seasons, I hope he doesn't join Spurs. As for Routledge, he's got potential. If O'Neill teaches him to dribble, cross and score, he'll have gold on his hand! :shifty:

Speaking of which, are Aston Villa our feeder club now? >_> Routledge, Chimbonda (?) and Boateng? I find the willingness to get rid of Boateng particularly puzzling, it's gonna take him more than 3 months to settle, and especially when you consider the fact Ramos did all he could to sign him when he was at Sevilla, the move just strikes me as odd. Guess he's just not meshing in.

heheh Thankfully Villa have ended up with the players I'm glad for us to sell to them. So long Boateng don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Shame about Gillingham losing the youngster. As my most local league team (I grew up in Kent) I've got a big soft spot for them and follow their trials and tribulations...The £200,000 won't buy anyone of note so ultimately it was bad business unless they get a decent percentage of future sales.

Seriously, Villa must be the new Spurs, being linked with everyone under the sun. Or at least every Spurs player under the sun. Keane, Defoe, Chimbonda, Routledge, Boateng. Sheesh.
Edited by Lost Soul

Guest Ringmaster

Boateng just came in from a league where the tempo is much, much slower, he looks average and like he's a bit off so far, given an extra few months to a season, he could settle and turn out very good, if last season in Germany is anything to go by. I don't know whether he is going to Villa now, but I don't think selling him is right with at least giving him a season and half to see what he can do.

Though, dear god, the hair, oh god.