January '08 Transfer Thread

Lineker

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle fans appear adamant that they're going to sign David Bentley. I can't see it happening as Blackburn have always been one of those sides that just sort of stick together through the season and make deals in the summer. I don't see them letting go of Bentley, and this guy claims Milner is going the other direction.

Really don't see it happening. Milner is possibly one of Newcastle's brightest and best players. So no.

You are aware that Savage, Mokena, Bentley and countless others were all signed in different January windows by Mark Hughes? He has become something of a genius at picking up mid-season transfers and then doing very little in the summer.

Stephen Reid as well, and I believe MGP too. All of course, different years but still in January.

MGP was bought by Souness in August 2004, Reid was also bought by Souness, 2001 I think. As for our January signings, most of our defense are January signings, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock then we have Bentley and Dunn. Usually in the summer we just sign tat and one excellant player who no one else seems to want (see Rigters and Santa Cruz last summer, tat and excellance)

Birmingham have failed in their efforts to sign Georgian midfielder Levan Tskitishvili after his request for a work permit was turned down.

The Blues had hoped to sign the 31-year-old free agent on loan until the end of the season.

BBC

How do you sign a free agent on loan?

Lucas Niell is the one that springs to mind, can't think of anyone else who I would class as decent though

Edit: Derr, Mr Savage obviously, but then again he had gone off the boil a bit recently and I wouldn't have placed him as a decent player this season, the other seasons I would have though

Edited by cmb211087

• Admin

How many of Blackburn's better players have ever been sold in January?

More to the point, how many have been sold on the cheap without a release-clause being involved? Sorry Geordies, but Bentley would cost a lot more than 5 mil plus Milner in the current market. If Gary Cahill is worth £5 million, imagine how much Bentley will cost.

Birmingham have failed in their efforts to sign Georgian midfielder Levan Tskitishvili after his request for a work permit was turned down.

The Blues had hoped to sign the 31-year-old free agent on loan until the end of the season.

BBC

How do you sign a free agent on loan?

It is BBC after all.

I'd say "a short-team deal until the end of the season" describes it better.

How many of Blackburn's better players have ever been sold in January?

More to the point, how many have been sold on the cheap without a release-clause being involved? Sorry Geordies, but Bentley would cost a lot more than 5 mil plus Milner in the current market. If Gary Cahill is worth £5 million, imagine how much Bentley will cost.