The OAO Grand Theft Auto IV Thread

abundant

Has anyone heard about this game supposedly being traded in a lot? Some dude on another forum made mention of how he didn't like it so he went to trade it in for something else and was "surprised by the number of trade-ins for this game". The guy in question barely got out of Dukes/Bohan and into Algonquin before coming to the conclusion that it's "just San Andreas with more distractions and less fun". I guess he didn't even try multiplayer or anything, but I'm getting off topic -- has anyone heard anything about the game being traded in a lot? :P

The person posting such a sentiment is officially on some high-grade crack. IV has plenty to do, and some of the frequent calls, especially when you're juggling all the contacts and four girlfriends, can get annoying when you just wanna go do some Vigilante shit or whatever. But I'll say this: almost all of these people have some worthwhile benefit for taking up your time. And if they don't, they're usually pretty entertaining to hang out with. And everything in this game that counts toward 100% feels like it belongs, there's no pointless crap like the BMX Challenge or Beat the Cock triathlons tacked on just to get another five hours of play time out of it. Honestly, this game is like the svelte 1955-era Elvis, compared to San Andreas being the bloated, wasted, dead on the toilet Elvis. And I loved San Andreas, don't get me wrong, but there was no way in hell I was ever gonna get 100% on it, while 100% will be mine on IV.

But I'll say this: almost all of these people have some worthwhile benefit for taking up your time. And if they don't, they're usually pretty entertaining to hang out with.

Driving Packie home while drunk results in some awesome dialogue >_>

but there was no way in hell I was ever gonna get 100% on it, while 100% will be mine on IV.

I'm too busy playing FM to slap my penis on the keyboard to form paragraphs, but this is one of the major problems I have with IV. It shouldn't be simple to get 100% completion in this or any game, especially when the game basically shows you how to get half the shit.

but there was no way in hell I was ever gonna get 100% on it, while 100% will be mine on IV.

I'm too busy playing FM to slap my penis on the keyboard to form paragraphs, but this is one of the major problems I have with IV. It shouldn't be simple to get 100% completion in this or any game, especially when the game basically shows you how to get half the shit.

Yes...it should.

Being able to 'beat the game' should not be unattainable. As that just takes the fun out of even trying, and makes it more annoying then anything.

Example, Spider-man 3. There's the task of collecting tokens, which can even prove difficult with a map. But that's at least doable. But then there are also races, and other events, where the 'Gold' times are ridiculous, and needless to say there's no point in event trying for 100%. This obviously isn't the case here, and it's much better for it.

Yes...it should.

Being able to 'beat the game' should not be unattainable. As that just takes the fun out of even trying, and makes it more annoying then anything.

Example, Spider-man 3. There's the task of collecting tokens, which can even prove difficult with a map. But that's at least doable. But then there are also races, and other events, where the 'Gold' times are ridiculous, and needless to say there's no point in event trying for 100%. This obviously isn't the case here, and it's much better for it.

To be fair, he didn't say it had to be unattainable, just not simple.

I much prefer to play a game and know that even though I've completed the story, I can still go back and do other things, making the extra time I spend on the game worthwhile. If it was "simple" to get 100% on each and every game, they wouldn't have that much longevity.

But then again San Andreas didn't have a damn website in it that showed you the location of every jump and pidgeon. In multiple ways this feels very much like Fisher Price's my first GTA. with III, VC and SA having more depth than it.

Edited by Kou

So after retrying the said mission, I proceeded to ROLL THE FUCKING VEHICLE and sit stationary on the vehicles side getting shot up by about ten cop cars worth of cops. Eventually I got back on my wheels and going again (I was pretty much ON the wall of a highway, so it was really, really difficult), and then ended up t-boning the balls out of a cop car (sending it flying into some water) after crusing down a huge hill/offramp thing. A moment before I hit it I tried to handbrake stop and slide knowing the water was just there. Sent him flying and then spun out into the water and drowned. Super damn.

Or while in the subway between trains.

First time I tried the subway chase mission, the bike ended up totally upside down after I ran over the first guy's dead body and flew over the handlebars. I tried to get back on my own bike, and Niko simply stood there like, "Yeah, I dive off of tall buildings and tuck and roll like a parkour runner on crack, but fuck you for asking me to pick this flipped bike up." And I failed the mission. Lazy fuck.