The OAO Grand Theft Auto IV Thread

abundant

The Link: http://games.kikizo.com/news/200801/037_p1.asp?f=037_p1.asp

Characters that are included in this preview are as follows: Niko Bellic, Roman, Brucie, Playboy X, Lyle Rivas and Bell. The following are missions that were shown to the gaming press:

Mission Name: Search and Delete

Summary: Brucie asks Niko to kill an informant named Lyle Rivas, before Lyle has a chance to testify.

* Niko steals a police car in order to access the criminal database.

* After Rivas flees his residence, Niko takes after him in a high-speed chase that shows off the new and improved free-aim “drive-by” targeting mechanic.

* If Rivas escapes, Niko’s phone receives a text message allowing him to restart the mission immediately.

* During chases you can enter a chase cam that will reorient the camera to focus on your target, even if he gets out of your line of sight.

* This mission takes place in Broker, and parts of Bohan.

Mission Name: Deconstruction for Beginners

Summary: Niko offers to help Playboy X in taking out a few “union leaders” down at the construction site.

* Niko can now take cover behind anything in the game and engage in more sophisticated firefights than ever before. In addition, he can also blind fire over or around targets.

* Some cover points are destructible, and will degrade if fired upon.

* Targeting improvements include headshots, procedural damage, lock-on targeting, free-aim, and blind fire.

* Repeating failed missions will often result in brand new dialogue strings, which is one of the many ways GTA IV is aiming to keep things fresh and original even on repeated playthroughs.

* Rooftop sniper point helps illustrate the verticality and density that we’re aiming for.

* This mission takes place in Algonquin.

Mission Name: Truck Hustle

Summary: Niko gets introduced to Bell through a mutual acquaintance; Niko plans to steal a drug truck from the Triads, and deliver it to Bell’s son-in-law.

* GPS navigation in all of GTA’s vehicles. Default settings enable GPS speech in luxury cars, but settings can be tweaked to turn speech on or off in any vehicle.

* Rocket launchers and grenades make a return!

* Climbing the truck and shimmying across its roof to the front is one of the many implementations of Natural Motion throughout the course of the game.

* This mission takes place in Alderney...and ends at a somewhat familiar location for fans of GTA 3.

One "friend activity" that isn't really being referred to as a "mission" is when you go drinking with Roman. Niko picks Roman up and heads to a nearby bar to hang out. He will then have to navigate his way back to Roman’s apt while (slightly!) impaired.

* You can hang out with friends by giving them a call on the phone, and of course they’ll call you too...you can choose to accept or decline their invitations.

* Building friendships will offer Niko some help during his stay in Liberty City (i.e. Little Jacob meeting up to sell him guns!).

* Niko’s stumbling is further evidence of the abilities of Natural Motion. These animations weren’t mo-capped or drawn by hand...they are the work of the computer software procedurally reacting to stimulus in the world. For example, when Roman stumbles into Niko and they trip over each other...or Niko leaning against the car.

Boats weren't intended to be shown to those that got previews, but you can swim, jack boats and create havoc on the water...Liberty City is a series of interconnected islands after all!

That's all of the mission details from the January 23, 2007 special.

Bwahaha, New Jersey being called Alderney is ridiculous, but cool. So relatively few people will get that. Has that always been the case? I'm not too familiar with Liberty City...

Next-generation Console Debut of the Grand Theft Auto Franchise Set for April 29, 2008

New York, NY - January 24, 2008 - Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce the release date for Grand Theft Auto IV, the new title in the genre-defining Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto IV will be simultaneously available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and will be in stores worldwide on April 29, 2008.

"We are so excited to be releasing Grand Theft Auto IV," said Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. "We've pushed ourselves very hard to make something incredible and hope the game sets a new benchmark for interactive entertainment."

For more information, log onto http://www.rockstargames.com/IV

April 29th, here is the big question, do I get an X-Box or a PS3? I love the online stuff of the X-Box but it doesn't have my traditional games, the PS3 has finally started catching up and I like the idea of a Blu-Ray player so I can start my Blu-Ray collection now, please make cases for and against for me :(

April 29th, here is the big question, do I get an X-Box or a PS3? I love the online stuff of the X-Box but it doesn't have my traditional games, the PS3 has finally started catching up and I like the idea of a Blu-Ray player so I can start my Blu-Ray collection now, please make cases for and against for me :(

You like Final Fantasy I believe? Then PS3 it must be.

A good chunk of my next year's bonus is reserved for a PS3. :shifty:

I probably won't get GTAIV, though. I barely played San Andreas (before I think I leant it to my brother, who now claims not to remember borrowing it) or Bully, even, which is of course fairly similar. As good as I'm sure the game will be - and if I had a spare £100 lying around, maybe I'd blow £40 on it - it's not high on my list of priorities for the coming year.

Tekken is only 15 quid now online I believe, so thats better news for you.

Aside from the fact six hasn't been released yet? :unsure:

Unless you mean Dark Resurrection, which I'll get it on PSP, it's even less on that and it means Tekken on the go.

Edited by Evil Benji

It's Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. Primarily an arcade port, not a PSP one. Couple of extra characters, some game tweaking.

I plan on getting GTA IV for our PS3. Not only is it game starved (Warhawk, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and Ninja Gaiden are not enough), it also has the advantage over our 360 in that it hasn't broken on us. I fear what a large game like GTA would do to the poor thing. It's also supposed to be built around the PS3 and then ported to the 360 which likely means it will run a smidgen better on Sony's black behemoth.

With the Duel Shock 3 coming out... sometime... and my complete and utter lack of interest in achievements anymore it's a further moot point.The downloadable content doesn't particularly appeal to me either as the previous GTA titles have never remotely been completely finished by me. So extra content would likely go to waste. I also feel Microsoft's pricing scheme for extra stuff is a tad bit overpriced. Same for Sony actually.

The game will likely play identical either way so it really comes down to if the DLC is worth it or appealing, which for me it isn't.

As for whether you should get whichever first Benji, get a PS3. With Tekken and Final Fantasy coming out with a plethora of other great looking stuff you're bound to enjoy it more. Then again, if you plan on getting both no matter what getting a 360 now probably wouldn't be a bad idea at all. After all no one seemingly knows when the good shit for Sony is coming.

If the question is what system to get for GTA, then I don't see how the answer would be anything but the 360 due to the exclusive DLC. But if the question is what system is best suited for you, probably the PS3 since you're such a fan of FF and Tekken. But that said, I wouldn't expect FFXIII anytime before 2009.

Glad the game finally got a release date set though, I gotta put Rock Band down and start playing other games so I'm not drowning when GTA comes out.