The OAO Grand Theft Auto IV Thread

abundant

When San Andreas came out, there were tons of topics about it, it was such a busy and hot topic it got given it's own forum which, when San Andreas died down a bit, became the Coin Op.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for 360 owners, the first 360 exclusive episode's due in August.

"In its GDC keynote extravaganza, Microsoft confirmed that the first downloadable "episode" for GTA IV will be coming this August, exclusively to Xbox 360.

Grand Theft Auto IV: Episode One, as it's being called, is presumably the first in the previously announced two downloadable episodes for Rockstar's sequel. They've been rumoured to have cost Microsoft a fair few pennies too.

Microsoft VP John Schappert also confirmed that more than a thousand new games will be released on the Xbox 360 in 2008 and that Grand Theft Auto IV will be one of the biggest. Thanks, but we already knew that.

GTA IV is out on April 29. We'll have hands-on impressions from a recent Rockstar event soon."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=182934

New previews will come out this Thursday.

Earlier this month we revealed that a selection of privileged websites were receiving hands-on demonstrations of GTA IV, and that previews were due to be published some time around the 27th of this month. We now have a confirmed date for those previews, and that is Thursday 28th February, which is two days from now. You can expect previews from Kikizo, GameSpot, IGN, and the usual suspects. We don't know the exact time of release yet, but expect it to be around 5PM or 6PM (GMT).

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

The new previews are up. Here are a few new details I've gathered:

- Not all Pedestrians are pushovers. Some will get out of their car and fight back if you wreck into them. Others will exit their car and cuss you out, prompting any allies with you to shot them.

- Even when you're about to be arrested, you have flexible control over Niko. If you're stopped in the car, you're in trouble. If they catch up with you when you're on foot, however, they'll come within range, Niko will stop and put his hands behind his head, and as he slowly drops to his knees he can still escape out of it and run. This works up until the point when his knees are about to hit the ground. Escaping the hands of the law like this will increase your wanted level by one star.

- Six star wanted system is back.

- When police helicopters are after you, it's really hard to lose them because of the new wanted system.

- You need to maintain relationships with other people. You do this through phone calls. For instance, Roman may call you about a group of thugs threatening him. You can help him, thus strengthening the relationship, or you can ignore the phone call all together.

- The new vigilante side missions are done through tapping into the police criminal computer.

- After a recent terrorist attack the city becomes locked down.

- There are eighteen radio stations in total with genres including funk, reggae, jazz, dance, modern Jamaican, pop, hardcore, hip hop and a specific Eastern European station.

- Certain vehicles will offer activities and ways to make money. An example of this is using a taxi to rack up fares and add to your account. However, instead of jacking any taxi and activating a cabbie mode, Rockstar said that you’ll have to ping your cousin Roman with a request for work, and he’ll loan you a cab to hack it out for a while.

Edited by abundant

At one point, while taking a midnight stroll through Liberty City's quite breathtaking spin on Times Square, we spot a man hunched over the open bonnet of his car, quizzically looking at the broken motor. Being the helpful citizens that we are, we push him to one side and try to hotfoot it with his automobile, but naturally his concerns weren't just a superfluous animation as the car fails to start and we climb out with rose-blushed cheeks.

:lmao: Awesome.

Just pre-ordered it from Play, can't wait. I remember the original on the PS1 fondly and loved GTA3 and Vice City. I wasn't a big fan of San Andreas I just never took to the character I was controlling but this years character looks awesome. It's pretty much a 21st Century update of the Scarface story.

Anyone else interested in the special edition.

I know it's $30 more but to get:

* A customised metal safe deposit box.

* A Rockstar keychain for the safe deposit box keys.

* A limited edition Rockstar duffel bag.

* Production artwork in the Grand Theft Auto IV Art Book.

* Selected soundtrack CD from Grand Theft Auto IV.

* A specially packaged version of the game.

Just seems worth it.

After hearing more of these previews though I very well think my decision to purchase it is final. Just have to figure out what version to pre-order.

Anyone else interested in the special edition.

I know it's $30 more but to get:

* A customised metal safe deposit box.

* A Rockstar keychain for the safe deposit box keys.

* A limited edition Rockstar duffel bag.

* Production artwork in the Grand Theft Auto IV Art Book.

* Selected soundtrack CD from Grand Theft Auto IV.

* A specially packaged version of the game.

Just seems worth it.

After hearing more of these previews though I very well think my decision to purchase it is final. Just have to figure out what version to pre-order.

Sounds like a lot of shit to take up room. I'm getting tired of these ultra deluxe special editions crammed with useless knickknacks. It's one thing when it's a 4 Disc DVD with some kind of cool, sleek packaging, but does anyone really need a foam Master Chief helmet? I have enough trouble getting laid as it is.

Edited by Zero