What games are you most looking forward to in '08?

So what games are you most looking forward to playing and owning in '08?

This thread may also be a chance to introduce some games to people who have never heard of them!

For me, number one HAS to be METAL GEAR SOLID 4. I have the in-game video demo and we stick it on the PS3 at work for people to watch...It truly does look special and I can't wait to play it to death. As long as playing it to death doesn't total about 4 hours...... :pinch:

I'm also stupidly excited by Patapon: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lp173Si-XZM

For the PSP and designed by the crew behind Locoroco. It's a Cute strategy war rhythm platform game. Groovy.

I'm also really looking forward to the Beijing 08 Olympics game...Reading stuff about it is definitely setting it up to be the most complete in a long line of decent Olympics/Athletics games...Also love the fact that it'll be online! It's on the PS3, 360 and PC...They're not making it for Wii as they made Mario vs Sonic for that.

As I like Viking history, "Viking: Battle For Asgard" looks like a bit of brainless fun in the mould of Spartan: Total Warrior and God of War.

Also, I want Rock Band to hurry up and get released over here. Grawr. Even if it WILL cost something stupid like £120-£150....Which is a ripoff. £100 ($190 or so) is more than reasonable.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also waiting for Rock Band in mild dread at whatever the prcie tag will end up being. MGS4 is one of those games (along with FF13) that I'm just trying to forget until it suddenly appears on shelves one day, otherwise I'll work myself up into an unpleasant amount of frustrated hype. :shifty:

Other than that, there are a bunch of games like the new Super Smash Brothers, that Star Wars Force Unleashed thing, and so on that I'm interested in having a good, serious look at when they come it. Can't think of any more "definitely going to get immediately definitely definitely" titles at the moment...though I may have just forgotten them.

Viking: Battle for Asgard looks fucking killer, definitely something I'm eager to check out.

Saboteur is another game I'm looking forward to, a World War 2 game that isn't a FPS.

Also slightly curious about Devil May Cry 4 (haven't play any Devil May Cry games at all though) and The Club (looking to be a fun rental at the least).

I would say MGS 4, but I wont be getting a PS3 anytime soon.

I was actually thinking of making this topic myself. Anyways '08 actually looks like a pretty good year, although I doubt it'll top last year in sheer number of quality games that got released.

Off the top of my head I can think of: Culdcept SAGA (360), Devil May Cry 4 (360), Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3), Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3), Army of Two (360), Mario Kart (Wii), Viking: Battle For Asgard (360), Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360), Saints Row 2 (360), Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360), Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway

And more I honestly can't think of right now. Not all of this stuff is must buy, except for the first four anyways.

I was actually thinking of making this topic myself. Anyways '08 actually looks like a pretty good year, although I doubt it'll top last year in sheer number of quality games that got released.

Off the top of my head I can think of: Culdcept SAGA (360), Devil May Cry 4 (360), Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3), Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3), Army of Two (360), Mario Kart (Wii), Viking: Battle For Asgard (360), Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360), Saints Row 2 (360), Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360), Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway

And more I honestly can't think of right now. Not all of this stuff is must buy, except for the first four anyways.

GTA4's gonna be out on 360 too.

Apart from the obvious MGS4/GTA4/Rock Band? Condemned 2 is looking pretty good, although I'm still only partway throught he first. I've been interested in Army of Two, the concept is sound but the gameplay looks a bit iffy from what I've seen so far. Haze, Fallout 3 and Ghostbusters all look good, but fuck knows when they're out. SSB Brawl is another one, but I'll need to get a Wii first :(

I wasn't too interested in Metal Gear Solid 4 until I watched this. I haven't even played 3 yet, but plan to go through the series soon with my girlfriend in anticipation of this coming out. I finally must say it truly does look tremendous. Hope the rest of the game reflects well on that video, and with that said I hope it's actually long enough. And with Metal Gear Online being a part of it, if the gameplay turns up just as good if not better than what's been shown it should be a tremendous online game.

I look forward to GTA IV. I tried playing San Andreas the other day and couldn't stomach it. Graphics and certain features were too lacking, especially having enjoyed Saints Row for its numerous improvements to the formula. But GTA IV is addressing all of that and adding even more to it, which should be absolutely fantastic. I'll likely pick it up for the PS3 though, I've become estranged from playing the 360 and I'm utterly paranoid it'll break down again. Especially with such a massive game such as this.

Speaking of sandbox upgrades, Saints Row 2 should be great. I really really hope that the co-op they're including is available on the same console. Otherwise it's useless to me. Especially if it doesn't hold a candle to GTA IV.

And speaking of that. Mercenaries 2's co-op better be same console too. But considering the way things go with games nowadays it these two won't be. It's amazing what can go on with Halo, yet a simple concept since the 8 bit era still can't be including in most games today. The desire to own them will have drastically decreased to a mere rental if there's no co-op.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to Secret Agent Clank for the PSP. Daxter's game seemed enjoyable enough and I'm curious what they do with Clank. Same goes maybe for God of War: Chains of Olympus. But I'd have to see more of that before I decide.

Then of course there's the only reason I really wanted a Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm a bit tired of people freaking out over it and have decided to avoid anything to do with it until release. I will be decidedly unimpressed if it really is in short supply. Nintendo can then go fuck themselves for deliberately under producing their products.

I'm also waiting for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. I was going to fork over for Super Street Fighter II on the Virtual Console until I heard about this. Will likely show up whenever Street Fighter IV does.

One game I was looking forward to and is already out, was PixelJunk Monsters. It's a great and fun game. Especially for its current price.

I was also curious about Starcraft 2 (mostly for story purposes, I've lost interest in RTSs) and Spore. However having a 3 year old PC and a lack of interest in upgrading nixes those ideas.

Other than that I'm not interested in much that's coming out this year. The prerequisite updates and upgrades to games with ports and remakes galore doesn't interest me anymore. For example, I was curious about Bully: Scholarship edition until I learned not much has been added or changed and they'll be charging more for it than what I already paid for the PS2 version. Same goes for a lot of stuff, it's just too much of the same anymore.

I mostly am interested and looking forward to stuff that was originally supposed to be released last year but was delayed.

Nothing for the Wii looks interesting outside of Smash Bros., the 360 looks dull as fuck and I've lost interest, the DS has become dull with only the PSP and PS3 having much of anything to interest me.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I think the one I'm most looking forward to is Rainbow Six Vegas 2. I loved the first game so I really can't wait for the second. I'm also hyped for GTAIV, Army of Two and of course the EA Sports series (mainly Madden) towards the end of the year.

The Bourne Conspiracy and EndWar also look good.

Edited by dwsnuk

Definite

Major League Baseball 2k8

Grand Theft Auto IV

Madden NFL 09

Likely

NCAA Football 09

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Fable 2

Possible

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

The Bourne Conspiracy

Ninja Gaiden II

Fallout 3

Mercenaries 2: World In Flames

Too Human

Alan Wake

Battlefield: Bad Company

If Haze is good, I'd consider saving up for a PS3. The Timesplitters team are geniuses.

RSV2, GTA4, Rock Band, Army of Two (if it does the concept justice, I love the co-op games), the new Olympics game should be awesome too. And I'll probably get my hopes up for Madden and Smackdown and inevitably be disappointed when it turns out the studios are big fucking liars and won't fix half the bugs (read: any of the 5+ year old bugs), and still score highly in the reviews.

GTA4's gonna be out on 360 too.

Edited by Drifter_2000

The only games I'm genuinely excited for are Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and 358/2 Days. Oh and Rock Band. All 3 may not even be out this year though. Though they better be, I'm getting a DS just for 358/2 days.

MGS4, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Star Wars The Force Unleashed look extremely good too. So does DMC4 but not on the same level as the others.

How have the Kingdom Hearts games not been mentioned by anyone else?

If Haze is good, I'd consider saving up for a PS3. The Timesplitters team are geniuses.

RSV2, GTA4, Rock Band, Army of Two (if it does the concept justice, I love the co-op games), the new Olympics game should be awesome too. And I'll probably get my hopes up for Madden and Smackdown and inevitably be disappointed when it turns out the studios are big fucking liars and won't fix half the bugs (read: any of the 5+ year old bugs), and still score highly in the reviews.