NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Seriously, fuck Reebok. I'm surprised the NFL lets them interfere with league issues like that.

Nope. Makes sense. The other jerseys that are in store would go to waste. He has the option of buying back those jerseys. If he does the new ones will be on the market. It was the same thing in the NBA when Kobe changed his number.

Edited by sahyder1

Including mine. I think that's all of my jerseys out of date now, Roy Williams changed his number, Emmitt Smith retired, Johnson changed his name, Chargers changed their look, Favre changed team. Oh, my Vasher one's still good >_>

In my view, players should have their legal name on the back of their jersey. Ocho Cinco is his legal name, deal with it, slap it on the back of his jersey. I get why it's not been allowed but I don't like it.

Seriously, fuck Reebok. I'm surprised the NFL lets them interfere with league issues like that.

Nope. Makes sense. The other jerseys that are in store would go to waste. He has the option of buying back those jerseys. If he does the new ones will be on the market. It was the same thing in the NBA when Kobe changed his number.

Poor Reebok. I'm a little biased against them after they enforced their will on the NHL when their shitty techno-garments actually made things worse for players, but still, they make the uniforms. They shouldn't have a say in how a player in the league is represented, they should supply what they're told to supply.

No, but the fact is he was impressive enough in the workouts (which I think teams put way to much weight into compared to college performance) that he obviously has some talent. And while he has under-performed and he is injury prone thus far, who's to say if he signs a deal with a team like the Lions and actually gets to learn an offense for a couple years from the sidelines and has the same system that he might not turn out to be a reliable starting QB?

Woah woah woah......hold the phone. Did you just actually imply that someone could sign with the Lions and revive their career?

Are you insane sir? The Lions are where careers go to die. This is especially true at QB. Sure Kitna has proven that he's solid enough to be a backup on most teams, but for the most part being a Lions QB is taking a paycheck to get beat up and booed.

And I fully expected the Lions defense to be (somehow) worse than last year...but if they play as badly the entire year as they did in that first game, the Lions might just as well forfeit the rest of the season.

See, Lions fans agree, if our defense is worthy of forfeiture of the season. Jase, do you also find it peculiar that our first and second round draft picks are not starters when we needed them to be starters? Do you also find it a bit strange that they are probably better players than the incumbents they were drafted to replace, and yet are still on the bench? I'm having serious questions about Marinelli's ability to evaluate talent.

I just assumed that they were way behind on where they were supposed to be as far as learning the playbook and whathaveyou. They could also be lazy and not working hard enough to earn a starting spot. I can't blame them....as soon as you become a Lion you learn that busting your ass will still get you nowhere :P. Or maybe Marinelli came to the realization that they completely screwed up the draft and doesn't trust the talent of any of the rookies.

I would like to believe that we only had a hard time with Michael Turner because he's tough to tackle and our defense is on the small side...but then Jerious Norwood (sp?) almost broke 100 yards as well, on far less carries.

I really really fear what the Lions will look like against the Packers, who by all accounts should be a better team than Atlanta.

Also....I was getting a bit irritated with Jon Kitna in that last game. Atlanta's cornerbacks are 5'10" and 5'11" respectively. Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams are 6'5" and 6'3" respectively. Maybe it was the playcalling, but i didn't understand why on those third downs with nothing happening, he didn't just throw up a jumpball on occasion. I know it's hardly sound quarterback strategy, but when your receivers are supposed to be as tall and athletic as Detroits supposedly are, you should be able to trust them to come down with a couple balls when they aren't wide open. This is especially true when nothing else seems to be working, or on fourth down (or maybe it was third and long) when he tried to run with the ball and got sacked because nothing was open.

Regarding the whole 'Ocho Cinco' jersey, he shouldn't have to buy the remaining jerseys in order to get his new ones out. If a player get traded, they don't have to buy out any jerseys to get their current jerseys produced and sold. It's basically the same thing. Reebok should just make the damn jersey and clearance the 'Johnson' jerseys.

Yeah, besides if the Ocho Cinco ones go on sale, I'm sure a ton of people would buy the Johnson jerseys anyways simply for the fact that they could become collectibles of sorts. I understand the reason why they're doing it (aka they don't want to lose money on certain things) but 1. they could probably make a fuck load if they just release the Ocho Cinco ones and 2. it's just a stupid thing to ask him to buy all of the Johnson ones. It actually makes the company look bad, because it makes them sound petty.

Either way, how they haven't realize that they could make a fuck load on the Ocho Cinco jerseys yet is beyond me.

Regarding the whole 'Ocho Cinco' jersey, he shouldn't have to buy the remaining jerseys in order to get his new ones out. If a player get traded, they don't have to buy out any jerseys to get their current jerseys produced and sold. It's basically the same thing. Reebok should just make the damn jersey and clearance the 'Johnson' jerseys.

That's horrible logic. If he gets traded, he (in most cases) has no choice in the decision. He went out and changed his last name, on his own. He SHOULD have to buy back those jerseys, because it's not fair for Reebok to have to eat their money, because this fool wants more media attention.

Poor Reebok. I'm a little biased against them after they enforced their will on the NHL when their shitty techno-garments actually made things worse for players, but still, they make the uniforms. They shouldn't have a say in how a player in the league is represented, they should supply what they're told to supply.

They paid a hefty amount to get exclusive rights to produce Licensed NFL merchandise. I work for a sporting goods company and NFL Jerseys, hoodies, tees, hats are big business for us.

He should still be allowed to have it on his jersey, just not make any for sale untill the Johnson ones are gone

Why would anyone buy a jersey that is not being currently worn?

That's horrible logic. If he gets traded, he (in most cases) has no choice in the decision. He went out and changed his last name, on his own. He SHOULD have to buy back those jerseys, because it's not fair for Reebok to have to eat their money, because this fool wants more media attention.

Reebok is making money off of his name in the first place, so how is that horrible logic? All Reebok is doing is capitalizing off of Chad Johnson. The rules state that a players legal surname must be worn on his jersey. Chad's surname is legally 'Cinco Ono' so his jersey should represent it.

This is American and Reebok works within the system. Tell me, what's the difference between a Farve GB jersey and a Johnson jersey?

In reality, there is no difference. Reebok is being influenced by Goodell because he doesn't want Chad to have his way and give more power to the players that's making him wealthy.

Stop being so arrogant. Just because you 'work in a sporting goods store' doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong on this topic. It's all opinion, man.

What happened when London Fletcher changed his name, did he have to buy out stock too? I actually don't know, that's why I am asking.

It has nothing to do with being arrogant. We've been trying to get the Ocho-Cinco jerseys from day 1.....and that is the response we get from the NFL and Reebok. At $110 for the premier jerseys and over $200 for the authentic....that's a lot of money you're talking about. Like I said it has nothing to do with Goodell as it is in the best interest of the owners for there to be Ocho-Cinco jerseys on the market. It happened with Jerry Porter last year when he tried to change his #.

As for Fletcher I'm not familiar with the case but I highly doubt there were that many Fletcher jerseys on the market to begin with.

A good quarterback can make do, and put up okay numbers. And having bad recievers doesn't explain his horrible TD to INT ratio. Bad recievers may limit the number of TDs and yards, but they shouldn't force him to turn the ball over as much as he has.

Again, the pylons masquerading as offensive linemen he'd been playing behind help explain that. Pressure = decisions being forced = interceptions

That's not always true. David Carr aka the human piñata was sacked 76 times his rookie year and managed a 52.5% completion percentage and was 9/15 TD/INT. Two years later he lead the league again in getting sacked (49) but completed 61.2% of his passes and was a +2 that year with 16/14. The year after that he was on top of the league in eating sacks :pervert: again (68) but completed 60.5% of his passes and was 14/11 in the TD/INT ratio. No one in the league had less time to throw passes than he did and yet his worst percentage as a pro was 52.5%, he led the league in completion percentage one year at 68.3% and was almost a 60% guy for his career. He was a -8 for his career, but did have a couple of solid seasons with absolutely no one protecting him from a pass rush. Carr is a widely accepted bust and yet his career shits on Smith's.

To be fair David Carr probably just became so accustomed to being sacked he probably thought it was the norm to get the ball and immediately try and evade 4+ men running at you. So he probably just adjusted to it and developed his own style of play to deal with it <_<

Edited by IAceI