NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Cassel's passer rating is 78.1, and he's ranked 19 overall. Among others, he's ranked above Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer, Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, and Matt Schaub. Some of those guys are obviously having terrible seasons, but are capable of performing well. And plus, you have Kerry Collins, playing for a team that is 5-0, below him. Matt Cassel isn't the Patriots' problem. The rest of the team needed to step up, and they have--but not enough to dominate. Plus, I'd argue (okay, CHFF would argue) that their poor draft classes have lead them where they are this season.

And I can't believe that Cleveland Browns fans just chanted "overrated" at the Giants. Maybe they were collectively doing it for the irony.

I love CHFF, any site that talks about how great of a QB Ben Roethlisberger is, is fine by me.

Also, I HATE when teams chant "overrated" that's akin to saying "Wow, you guys lost to us. You must suck!"

Chase, your referencing Big Ben so much on EWB is beginning to reach Kornheiser/Favre proportions. :P

I am John Madden and he is my Brett Favre. I just love the way he plays football and wills his team to victory. For my money he's the most clutch QB in the NFL and there's no one else I'd rather have as my QB in a big game.

But I'll shut up.

The Giants losing has certainly made things tighter. Hopefully Dallas can get two wins from St. Louis, Tampa Bay and the Giants that should keep us in a good position for Romo to come back after the bye week. Going to be tough, though, not only is Romo out for four weeks, Felix Jones is out for two, punter Mat McBriar out for 6-8 weeks (might go on IR), Sam Hurd may need season-ending surgery and Anthony Spencer will miss a week as well. Newman's out three more weeks and I doubt Roy Williams or Pat Watkins will be back against the Rams either :/

The Giants losing has certainly made things tighter. Hopefully Dallas can get two wins from St. Louis, Tampa Bay and the Giants that should keep us in a good position for Romo to come back after the bye week. Going to be tough, though, not only is Romo out for four weeks, Felix Jones is out for two, punter Mat McBriar out for 6-8 weeks (might go on IR), Sam Hurd may need season-ending surgery and Anthony Spencer will miss a week as well. Newman's out three more weeks and I doubt Roy Williams or Pat Watkins will be back against the Rams either :/

Don't forget a possible Pacman suspension.

It's quite lucky for everyone, well - it means we're all kind of back where we started anyways. Philly have made up some ground but obviously the 'Skins, Cowboys and Giants will all be disappointed they couldn't win against teams they should have beaten, but there you go - no ground loss.

It's out turn to have a stab at Cleveland next time, then we have Detroit and Pittsburgh. Quietly confident but I'll see how we come out after that poor loss.

It's quite lucky for everyone, well - it means we're all kind of back where we started anyways.

No kidding.

NFC South- The Titans are obviously way ahead here, but in examining quality standings, they still have a bit of a road ahead of them. Being 5-0 more than just helps them, but they still have a few tough games. Honestly, they have a pretty easy schedule, but so does the rest of the division. And with Kerry Collins and his poor passer rating, they're not out of the woods yet. We can probably write off the Texans if we want, but the Colts (3-2) and Jaguars (3-3) aren't too far behind.

AFC East- This one is wide open. The Bills have a good record, but are 0-1 against quality opponents (see link above), while the rest of the division has at least one quality win. It's way too earlier to count anyone out here.

AFC West- The Chiefs are obviously done, and I'm not buying into the 1-4 Raiders. Despite their terrible start, the Chargers (3-3) still don't look too bad in the long run. The same goes for the Broncos. Their record is better (4-2), but they're also a shootout team, which will cause them to lose some pretty important games. Still, the Chargers' defense has been weak too. It's definitely a two team race.

AFC North- I know there are a few Ravens fans here, so maybe there will be some disagreement with this, but I think the Steelers are the only real competition here. The Bengals are obviously done. The Ravens (2-3) don't look like a legitimate threat since their offense has struggled due to having a rookie QB and injuries at RB. I'm not buying the Browns. They played ugly against the Fitzpatrick-lead Bengals, and even though they played well against the Giants, that doesn't erase the last four games. A 2-3 record doesn't look too bad against the Steelers' 4-1, but the Steelers are just playing too well for me to buy into anyone else here. For the time being though, it's safe to say that the Ravens and Browns can still keep things competitive, especially since the Steelers have the more difficult schedule, but Pittsburgh is close to pulling way ahead very early.

NFC South- This one is wide open. Everyone but the Saints have 4 wins, and the Saints are at 3. They are pretty even in quality standing as well, although the Falcons are 0-2 against quality teams.

NFC West- Obviously the Rams are out of the conversation. I'd count the Seahawks out as well since they only have one win. I'd also like to count the 49ers out (2-4) since the Cardinals have doubled their victories, but it's still early and the Cardinals are certainly capable of a big losing streak. Just like the Steelers, the Cardinals are close to pulling way ahead early in the season.

NFC North- No one stands out here. The Bears would have been the obvious frontrunner if they would have won this weekend, but they have just as many victories as the Packers and Vikings (3). Needless to say, the Lions are done. But the three remaining teams have definite deficiencies. I would lean towards the Bears because they have the best defense and Orton is efficient, but there is no way you can say this is not a three-way race at this point.

NFC East- No surprises here. This is going to be a tight race to the last week.

So really the only teams we can write off are the Lions, Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Chiefs, Raiders, and Texans. That's 25 other teams who have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. I would probably add the Browns, Ravens, and 49ers, but their windows are still slightly open. But hey, if this really is Bizarro NFL, and Cardinals and Steelers will lose their next two games and the Browns, Ravens, and 49ers will win their's.

That's actually a pretty good link plankton. Might keep hold of that for myself for future use.

Look at the Bengals, 0-4 against +.500 teams, I'll keep backing them as I quite like them. This just shows they're having a tough schedule.

Titans have a terribly easy schedule. I got a lot of abuse of my friend for losing to the Rams so now I'm looking forward to seeing the Titans get a royal kicking off someone who can expose that below average offense for what it's worth. He was a total jackass considering his dad is a Redskins fan and he himself is named after a former Redskin. So why he actually supports the Titans is beyond me. But he was just a prick :@

Edited by IAceI

It's quite lucky for everyone, well - it means we're all kind of back where we started anyways.

No kidding.

NFC South- The Titans are obviously way ahead here, but in examining quality standings, they still have a bit of a road ahead of them. Being 5-0 more than just helps them, but they still have a few tough games. Honestly, they have a pretty easy schedule, but so does the rest of the division. And with Kerry Collins and his poor passer rating, they're not out of the woods yet. We can probably write off the Texans if we want, but the Colts (3-2) and Jaguars (3-3) aren't too far behind.

\

I'm not buying the Titans as a contender. Sure they might win their division but they don't have the balance on offense to be a Super Bowl team. I still think the Colts are gonna win the division.

AFC North- I know there are a few Ravens fans here, so maybe there will be some disagreement with this, but I think the Steelers are the only real competition here. The Bengals are obviously done. The Ravens (2-3) don't look like a legitimate threat since their offense has struggled due to having a rookie QB and injuries at RB. I'm not buying the Browns. They played ugly against the Fitzpatrick-lead Bengals, and even though they played well against the Giants, that doesn't erase the last four games. A 2-3 record doesn't look too bad against the Steelers' 4-1, but the Steelers are just playing too well for me to buy into anyone else here. For the time being though, it's safe to say that the Ravens and Browns can still keep things competitive, especially since the Steelers have the more difficult schedule, but Pittsburgh is close to pulling way ahead very early.

I don't think the Steelers really have a more difficult schedule. The only difference is the Steelers play the inconsistent Chargers and the Brady-less Pats. In contrast the Browns have to play the surprising Bills and a decent Broncos team, and the Ravens get the Chiefs and the Jets.

The Steelers are already essentially three games up on the Ravens and Browns because they have wins over both of them. Now I expect the Steelers to beat the Browns again in Pittsburgh, but lose to the Ravens in Baltimore. The question then becomes, can the Ravens win 2 more games than the Steelers from here on out? I gotta say no.

When I was saying contenders, I failed to mention that I was talking about contenders to win their divisions.

And I agree, Chase, the Browns and Ravens are very unlikely division winners. But I think they're still in it. The Steelers still have to play the Colts, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Chargers, Patriots, Titans, and Ravens. Granted, some of those teams aren't dominating, but the Steelers are certainly capable of losing any of those games.

On the other hand, the Browns and Ravens have similar schedules and haven't been playing nearly as well. At this point, it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt though. The Ravens have a usually very good defense that could carry them, and the Browns played really well last night. But that means that the Ravens' defense has to be ridiculously good for the rest of the season, and that the Browns have to put the first 5 weeks behind them. They have little room for error, and the only way either of them will pull it off is if the Steelers self-destruct. So the likelihood is really small, and one or two more Steelers wins coupled with Browns/Ravens losses will pretty much seal it for them. So the possibility is about as small as it can be, but it's still there.

And yeah, Ace, the AFC North teams have tough schedules. As much as I'd like to think that the Bengals could pull of some huge upset, it's just not going to happen. They'd have to pretty much win every game, and it's not going to happen, especially since it looks like Palmer is done for the season. I hate to be one of those fans who stops supporting their team when things get bleak, but when you have a cheap owner like Mike Brown who won't make big moves in the off-season or hire a GM, a lack of support is the only clear message to give. That's why articles like this one is actually encouraging. It sucks that it's come to this, but the time has passed for this core group of Bengals. Palmer is obviously a keeper, but we have to build around other new players. I like the defense, as it shows potential and is improving. But the offense needs to be rebuilt. Hopefully Mike Brown grows a pair and is lucky enough to get as good of a trade offer for Chad Johnson as he got a few months ago. Right now I just hope guys who are obvious keepers (like Palmer and Odom) don't want to jump ship after this fiasco of a season.

NFC South- This one is wide open. Everyone but the Saints have 4 wins, and the Saints are at 3. They are pretty even in quality standing as well, although the Falcons are 0-2 against quality teams.

The Bears and Packers aren't quality teams?

I'm basing it off of CHFF's quality standings.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts measures the performance of each NFL team only against opponents with winning records, or what we call Quality Teams. It eliminates the dead-weight detritus of games against second-stringers and gives you a look at the inner core of a team and lets you know how they perform when the sh*t gets heavy.

I'm willing to accept Cleveland as legit again if they can perform like they did against the Giants in their next game. Remember, Anderson and Edwards both missed time in preseason, but last night it finally looked like they were in sync again. The AFC North can always turn into a crapshoot, so I don't count out the Browns if they can start performing better, which will probably happen when Winslow gets back from whatever testicle swelling STD he's contracted.

And Pacman's been suspended indefinately. Fucking stupid piece of shit, just go to prison already.

And the Cowboys are apparently in talks to get Roy Williams from the Lions. Do it Jerry, we need good news, desperately.

Edited by Maxx

Adam Schefter says it's a 1st, 3rd & 6th rounder in exchange for Roy Williams and a 7th rounder in 2009. I'd rather have it be the two 2nd rounders.

I feel sorry for Miles Austin, he's proven to be a solid 3rd receiver and beaten out Sam Hurd (although Hurd has been injured) but now he'll probably go back to being the 4th guy behind Crayton.

Edited by AD

ESPN says its the 2nd rounders, I tend to trust them more than Schefter, but odd there's such miscommunication about it.

I feel bad for Austin, but this is was a much needed move and its going to open up the offense quite a bit. Miles will see action in 4 reciever sets where he'll likely be the go to guy.

Edited by Maxx

Thats good news for the Cowboys and Detroit are even more fucked then when they started off.

And How.

How are the Lions fucked? The season is already over for us, and we got a 1st, 3rd, and 6th for someone who we would have had to franchise and a 7th. It gives the new GM some ammo in the draft and saves us from having a ton of cap room in WRs.

And it's not all good news for the Cowboys. TO is already bitching about touches, so you trade for Roy Williams?

Edited by foolinc