NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Myself included, I don't know why we're talking about "odds" and "better" at this point. What where the "odds" of having Philly or Zona in the NFC Title game, let alone an assurence that one of them will be in the Super Bowl ?

yeah, I'm not like the majority of the fans ... I'm going to dig the Title games seeing as how only ONE of the teams "has any business" being there according to you know, everybody (up until today that is).

I'm not some diehard NFL fan. I mean I've been watching for a year or two and really like the game, but I don't know a great deal about the game outside of the main stuff and the rules and sometimes find it really hard following everything and how so much works, but why would hardly any of the teams left have no business in being there? They've got to this point, so surely they're better than all these other teams people are hyping, well for this year anyway? That's just a general question, because I see alot of people shitting on the teams left and don't understand why. I realise some of the apparent better or bigger teams didn't make it, but if they're out, then surely they're just not the better team this year?

Either way, Steelers for the win :wub:

You're dead to me.

For the sake of argument, he's been dead since he rooted for the Italians in the 2006 World Cup.

Myself included, I don't know why we're talking about "odds" and "better" at this point. What where the "odds" of having Philly or Zona in the NFC Title game, let alone an assurence that one of them will be in the Super Bowl ?

yeah, I'm not like the majority of the fans ... I'm going to dig the Title games seeing as how only ONE of the teams "has any business" being there according to you know, everybody (up until today that is).

I'm not some diehard NFL fan. I mean I've been watching for a year or two and really like the game, but I don't know a great deal about the game outside of the main stuff and the rules and sometimes find it really hard following everything and how so much works, but why would hardly any of the teams left have no business in being there? They've got to this point, so surely they're better than all these other teams people are hyping, well for this year anyway? That's just a general question, because I see alot of people shitting on the teams left and don't understand why. I realise some of the apparent better or bigger teams didn't make it, but if they're out, then surely they're just not the better team this year?

Either way, Steelers for the win :wub:

You're dead to me.

For the sake of argument, he's been dead since he rooted for the Italians in the 2006 World Cup.

That was HIM? Oh, in that case, he's...undead to me. Deader than dead.

I do hope one of the NFC teams win the title.

I always liked McNabb and I would be happy to see him finally win it.

And I'll always mark for the veteran who's been there before, career went down, and now he's back, just like I rooted for Favre last season.

That's Kurt Warner you're describing, not McNabb.

I think I'm at the point where I don't care who wins.....as long as said team does not represent the trash that is the city of Philadelphia.

Amen to that, Philly is a fucking hole.

Taker, are you forgetting the choke job McNabb pulled in the Super Bowl. He was the reason they lost that game. Technically speaking Philly isn't back from anywhere. They've been to the conference championship game 5 out of the last 8 years and yet manage to blow it each and every time.

Yeah, as Naiwf said, your description matches Kurt Warner way more than it does McNabb. Warner went from two Super Bowl appearances, to losing his job in St.Louis, then having to be a back up in New York, then finally having to sign with Arizona, where he was supposed to be nothing more than a back up.

But yeah, Donovan McNabb, really overcoming so much and getting back on top. :rolleyes:

Well, Tony Dungy has retired. Other than the fact that he was an amazing coach, I don't find it that big of a deal. There is so much talent on that Indy team, Rod Marinelli could coach them to the playoffs.

Well, Tony Dungy has retired. Other than the fact that he was an amazing coach, I don't find it that big of a deal. There is so much talent on that Indy team, Rod Marinelli could coach them to the playoffs.

A 67% win percentage, 6 division titles (including a crazy 5 in a row), an unreal 6 straight seasons of 12 wins or move (that streak is still active by the way) is a big deal. The man had one losing season as a coach.....and that was his first season. By all accounts a great guy and to think what he went through with his son a couple of years ago. Yeah he is only 9-10 in the playoffs but he does have a ring (and a team he built won it in Tampa too) and 4 of those losses are to teams that eventually won the Super Bowl that year. The road to the Super Bowl did legitimately go through his team most years. He can come back and coach my team any time.

Edited by sahyder1

I do hope one of the NFC teams win the title.

I always liked McNabb and I would be happy to see him finally win it.

And I'll always mark for the veteran who's been there before, career went down, and now he's back, just like I rooted for Favre last season.

That's Kurt Warner you're describing, not McNabb.

The second line is refering to Kurt Warner.

I said I hope a NFC team wins the title.

Because I like McNabb.

And the second line is about Warner, and I like Warner.

Edited by Red Devil-Taker316

Damn, beat me too it.

I think it's absolutely fantastic that Rolle is going to do is Oxford Scholarship and get a Master's Degree in ONE YEAR. This is serious good news in the terms of the whole 'role model' and being an athlete and all. Even more impressive that he did it at FSU :shifty:

eh, I'm not saying anything bad about Dunby because I do think he's great. I will however point this out. In MANY (if not all) of the discussions in this thread the qualifying aspect of "good/great/whatever" has been a singular thing, and that's the ring. Yes, he has one. That would mean though that the entire rest of his career was nothing but great regular seasons. Those great regular seasons ultimately meant crap. His playoff record isn't even .500 and that's including a Super Bowl season. If I'm not mistaken he only got to the one that he won, which would mean his amazing teams choked in the playoffs every year. Yeah, a team he put together won it in Tampa BUT ... what was the one thing different about that team ? The coach. That says quite a bit. Yeah, division titles are great and 12 wins seasons in a row are great, but his playoff record kind of squashes all that a bit. I'm just throwing the devil's advocate out there. Yeah, his "numbers" show how great of a coach he is .... but so does the LACK of playoff success.

However, personally I think the NFL has indeed lost a fantastic coach and more importantely an amazing person.

The great thing about this is my head coach at the Berkshire Renegades is the head coach at OXford, so no doubt he'll be trying to get him to play for a year. >_><

In draft news, Myron Rolle has decided not to enter the '09 draft. Instead he's going to Oxford, to study for a one-year Master's degree in anthropology, then plans to enter the 2010 draft instead. That guy is indisputably my favourite player.

Is Rolle the guy who became a Rhodes Scholar and had to fly back in town in time for a game earlier this year?

That be him. And yes, he is, in fact, the man. Of all the places to find an All-American football player/Rhodes scholar, Florida State isn't quite the LAST place I'd think to look, but it's really damn close.

A guy for, I think, Yale had the same thing the same day that Rolle did and had to miss the Harvard game. Apparently, he didn't make the cut. Imagine the shit he's taking for losing out to a guy from Florida State. :D

Yeah, I am pretty much in agreement with HTTK here. Tony Dungy is kind of like Marty Schottenheimer, just that his team stuck it out long enough to let him get a ring. Mind you, he was likable enough to not piss off the ownership like Marty always does but I am still convinced he could have won a Super Bowl with the Chargers eventually, hell even with those Browns teams.

But yes, Dungy really did blow a lot of playoff games (As did Peyton by proxy). Nothing new though, the Colts have been choking in playoff games for years now.

Dungy is definitely going into the HOF, and would even if he hadn't of won the Super Bowl a few years back either.