Music sim games.

In the vein of Music Maven, The Rockstar Game, Popomundo etc. - does anyone know of anymore? So far I've tried going back and playing Music Maven again (it's still fun and surprisingly a little more challenging now, I just hate having to wait until 12AM EST for the game to update), The Rockstar Game is fun but doesn't have the depth of Maven (which I like), Popomundo is WAAAAAAY too complex (yeah, let's call it that) for my tastes and the only other ones I can find are Project Rockstar and Music Rivals. Music Rivals was no fun, and Project Rockstar wasn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically, what I want is a relatively real-time game as simplistic as Music Maven but not as complex as Popomundo, with the array of options (as far as releases, labels, etc. go) that's also present in Music Maven. I'll probably stick with Maven, but if there's anything else out there, I'd like to try it.

Also, relatedly, does anyone remember a game similar to Popomundo (where you play as a single artist and join bands) that was around about.. four years ago? All I can remember is that the website design was very simple, featured dull yellow colouring, and musician skill ranks were.. musicians. for instance, the best rank a bassist could achieve was "Victor Wooten", a guitarist "Buckethead", etc. etc. I know Bas and I played it, but I don't remember what it was called.

Oh man...I miss Music Maven. Last time I checked my screamo band were still like 'gods' among the screamo genre, and it'd been like 2/3 years since I'd played.

Signed back up on Maven...better still be fun. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Oh man...I miss Music Maven. Last time I checked my screamo band were still like 'gods' among the screamo genre, and it'd been like 2/3 years since I'd played.

Signed back up on Maven...better still be fun. :shifty:

I dunno, I think it is. I have three bands on there, one rap group, one punk group and an experimental/post-rock group called Hollow Pink Lions. As long as you remember the basics of the game you oughta be okay (use the first few months giving your band rest with the "additional practice at home" option to raise their musical skill, then take a month or two to write songs and start touring.. or at least that's what always worked for me).

The one change I dislike (but that is admittedly realistic) is that you can't go on 14-day tours without a decent number (5-7 or so) songs in your band's setlist, but you can usually get 7-day tours just fine with no songs. My rap group is almost bankrupt because I learned about the new 14-day tours the hard way. I kept trying to do 14-day tours and getting only 1 or 2 of the dates, so now they're down to like $92 to their name and I'm hoping I can cover their cost of living with a few 7-day tours while they spend the rest of the month writing songs.

Edited by Cloudy Is Very Not Gangsta

After you all mentioning it, I went out and checked Music Maven. I now have a Death Metal and Grindcore band. <_<

Thanks, it's actually a very enjoyable game although I'm lost when it comes to dollars. Completely lost.

I vaguely remember Rob Cooper (guy who made the Chart Wars games) saying he was planning a band management sim, lost interest so don't know what has happened with that one...

Chart Wars: Rise To Stardom.

It's sad this game will never see the light of day, I was super excited for it :crying:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. If you're in debt for something like more than 3 in-game months your band's deleted so as to not bog the game down with tons of inactive bands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did Music Maven move or something?

The site I have doesn't seem to be updating at all, and the last note on the main page is from 2005.

I've been itching to get back into the game, but like I said... something doesn't seem right here.

http://www.music-maven.com/mm3/

I was the one who got Cloudy back into Music Maven in the first place. Shortly thereafter, I lost interest. My interest was only held because Bas and the guy who ran the label I was on posted a decent amount, but it's virtually a desert on the MM forums now. Well, when I say desert, I mean a desert full of gangbangers and Aaliyah wannabes. :shifty:

I signed up there two days ago... nothing's changed yet.

What's up with the "Now at another new location" bit?

EDIT: Nevermind... it hasn't updated for anyone apparently. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Edited by Gabriel

I've been trying to get back into it, RP'ing with 2 different 'bands', but as Tristy said, the forum's pretty much dead these days, outside of like 1/2 people.

As for the problem. Yeah, there's something wrong with the game. It just hasn't updated for about a week, if not longer. I might just use this as the opportunity to bail out, as it's just not the same as 'back in the day'.