Biggest songs of the 2000's?

Guest tiarnantmann

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half the songs I've heard listed don't really have that defining songs of the 2000's vibe that you'd have Sweet Child O' Mine or Smells Like teen Spirit for the 80s/90s, though "popular" nonetheless. Maybe because after about 2004, I realised chart music is mostly shit and not for me, thus giving up on radio, and I despise 99% of Indie (see The ColdRazorFratRacon FrayLightPlay), but anyway, I guess its down to peoples opinion, or maybe half the songs seem too present to be in the category of defining songs.

But nevertheless, there were some undeniables:

How You Remind Me - Nickelback (playing now as a matter of fact.)

Rollin' - Limp Bizkit

Best Of You / Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters

19/2000 / Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz

Numb/Encore - Linkin Park & Jay Z

In The End - Linkin Park

Blurry / She Hates Me - Puddle Of Mudd

By The Way - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

A plethora of Killers songs, notably When You Were Young & Somebody Told Me

And as much as I hate the song, Chasing Cars will be on here. I literally have to turn over when I hear. Everytime you want an "emotional" scene on the TV, the lazy twats who pick songs for TV all turn to that. Talk about limited music spectrum. Last.FM would not be happy. :shifty: It pisses me off even more that I can play the main riff (if it deserves to be called a riff) on my guitar. And that's not an impressive feat, I know zero of the many chords there are.

On the Outkast "Hey Ya" subject, I remember it was number one for a few weeks, but I can't really remember them putting it on the plinth its on now at the time and don't really get why it is on the plinth it is on now.

Edited by TheModernWay

Umbrella - Rihanna

Crazy In Love, Irreplaceable by Beyonce

Cry Me A River, Sexyback by Justin Timberlake

Golddigger - Kanye West

Music, Hung Up - Madonna

Crazy by Gnarls Barkley

Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day

Hey Ya by Outkast

In Da Club - 50 Cent

The Real Slim Shady, Lose Yourself - Eminem

Hot In Heere - Nelly

How You Remind Me - Nickelback

Destiny's Child - Independant Woman

In terms of chart performance, longevity etc. I'd say thats a pretty decent list. Some of the stuff on the list I kinda hate... but whatevs. I'd say its a pretty great list in terms of being able to contain 7-8 years worth of music.

On the Outkast "Hey Ya" subject, I remember it was number one for a few weeks, but I can't really remember them putting it on the plinth its on now at the time and don't really get why it is on the plinth it is on now.

I can't speak for the other side of the pond but in the US that was the song of 2003.

I can't speak for the other side of the pond but in the US that was the song of 2003.

Edited by TheHurk

• 2 weeks later...
Since you're from Britain, throw Naive in there by The Kooks. Do it.

I can't explain it's amazingness to any North American's who probably haven't heard it, or any Brits who don't like it. But it's fucking awesome.

Do it ¬_¬

Naive is a good song. It's an injustice that Eddie's Gun wasn't the song that made them big though.