Covers of Songs You Like, That You Hate

Hobo

I see your Iron Maiden and raise you a Misfits.

Seriously... I have more cover versions of their songs than songs BY them. My library of Misfits stuff, live, studio and rare... eclipsed by the library of Misfits Cover Stuff.

Some of it is horrendous, some of it is fun, and some of it is just straight up cover songs. The latter two are my favorite. Alkaline Trio's version of Halloween is hella-fun with just the piano and vocals.

Has anyone done a cover of Helena?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is annoying me...I'm not a big Misfits fan...but I know Helena...and I definately remember somebody doing a cover...grrr.

And as a massive Ignite fan, Zoli Teglas singing for The Misfits just seems fucking weird for me...cool as hell...but he just seems so 'random' to take the part. Amazing vocalist, he's a bit of a knob when it comes to 'activism' and shit, like cramming his opinions down his throats, but unlike most bands that seem to do that, he's got talent...and the last Ignite album was the best of their career.

Now back to the topic at hand;

Strung Out's cover of "Every Breath You Take" is fucking dull as shite. Quite funny, that at the start of their 'career' they'd cover The Police and Bryan Adams...now they're tossing out Iron Maiden, INXS, Anthrax and Ozzy covers....now that their mention it their cover of "Summer of 69" (Well one of them, as there's 2 'proper' ones doing the rounds), where they stop halfway through because Rob broke a string and instead have a 'best haircut' competition or some shit in the crowd is fucking terrible/brilliance at the same time.

Hmmmm....I love covers...so actually thinking of bad covers is pretty difficult...hmm...give me a while and I'll have loads. :shifty:

Edited by YI

I was exposed against my will to HIM's cover of "Enjoy The Silence" a long while back. Absolute shit. I yelled at my nephew afterwards...how he can listen to that I'll never know.

Green Day's cover of "Working Class Hero" is fun, solely because my niece is a Lennon fangirl/hates Green Day, and if I mention it she goes ballistic. She did the same thing after the Lennon/McCartney week of American Idol. It's hilarious. :)

Half the time with Idol, I won't be able to listen to the original song for a while because whoever sang it on TV butchered it. Imagine's on that list due to a tone deaf 17 year-old.

Zoli Teglas has an amazing voice for classic Misfits material. It's crisp, clear and is a throwback to the 50's style, without losing the attitude of the current day.

My favorite Ignite album was Call On My Brothers... was that the latest one?

Also, on the subject of Sunday Bloody Sunday... Ignite has the only version of that song that I like. It's fucking awesome.

YI, MisfitsCentral has download threads in their forums for live and out of print material. If you want to hear Zoli singing for the Fits, I'd highly recommend heading over there to download a show or two.

I don't see a problem with posting that, since it's live and out of print material, meaning the bands wouldn't make any money off of it anyways. If it turns out to be a problem though, I'll edit my post.

Zoli Teglas has an amazing voice for classic Misfits material. It's crisp, clear and is a throwback to the 50's style, without losing the attitude of the current day.

My favorite Ignite album was Call On My Brothers... was that the latest one?

Also, on the subject of Sunday Bloody Sunday... Ignite has the only version of that song that I like. It's fucking awesome.

Edited by YI

YI, Our Darkest Days is a class fucking album. Good call on that one.

Come Together is credited correctly to Manson, but it's a shit recorded bootleg. It's live, and it was probably recorded using a handheld recording device from the 80s.

Aside from his covers though, are you a big fan of Manson's songs? If not, then I understand your take on his cover versions... but like I said above, any Manson fan who says they don't like the covers he's done either hasn't actually listened to them, or they're only a quasi-fan, listening to the singles when they chart and not delving very far into his catalog.

I'm actually a huge Manson fan. I worshipped him as a child and still hold him in high regard. I just don't think that his cover versions are as good as a lot of people make out. But then I also refuse to buy into AS being his greatest album like most do (I'm a MA/EMDM guy). So take that for what it's worth.

Edited by TMJ

I didn't see this answered, but wasn't the band that covered the Misfits song "Helena" My Chemical Romance?

Forgive me if I'm terribly wrong, but there just seems to be something in my mind that puts the word 'Helena' next to 'My Chemical Romance' as if I've seen it somewhere before. Now, I have no idea if its' MCR covering the Misfits song, a coincidental naming of a track or a completely different band, I'm not fans of either MCR or Misfits.

The Korn cover of Word Up is great. So happy/catchy.

Oh well, I tried. Good job I'm not an MCR fan.

I heard/saw a video of Audioslave doing a cover of RATM's "Killing In The Name". Ok, so it is basically RATM with Chris Cornell singing instead, but it wasn't that great, Cornell's voice didn't suit it. Audioslave's cover of "Seven Nation Army" though, that DESTROYS the original, mainly thanks to the Cornell/Morello combo as per usual.

That post reminded me of how terrible that Audioslave cover of "Killing In The Name" is. Ugh. Cornell's voice sounds so emotionless and like he's just going through the motions. Really bad cover.

The Korn cover of Word Up is great. So happy/catchy.
Yeah, it's awesome, although Gun's cover slightly edges it out.

And from Gun to Guns N'Roses, the talk of Audioslave doing Rage songs reminded me of Velvet Revolver doing GnR songs and having seen both VR in 05 and 07 and GnR in 06, a bold statement maybe, but I think that Axl's band does their songs far better than VR do, as a whole. You'd think that the VR sound would be better because of Slash and co, but they seem not to actually give a toss, whilst Axl was having fun and his band seemed to love being up there with him. So add VR's cover of their own GnR songs up there, not helped by Weiland sounding like Axl-Lite.