Covers of Songs You Like, That You Hate

Hobo

And I don't super-hate it, but compared to what has been done, Johnny Cash's version of Personal Jesus was meh.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Marilyn Manson did a cover of Tainted Love that I absolutely despise. The only thing going for it is the hot chick in the music video.

On the other hand, I liked Manson's version of Sweet Dreams, because it made the song sound a lot more sinister.

Sweet Dreams is the only good Manson cover. The others are too similar but just with a 'dark' sound, and its annoying.

I dunno, I like his cover of "Mind of A Lunatic" by Geto Boys.

OK, only good cover I've heard then :shifty:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot one: Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean. IT REEKS!!

Cash's version of Personal Jesus is okay. His version of Rusty Cage, however......

Marilyn Manson did a cover of Tainted Love that I absolutely despise. The only thing going for it is the hot chick in the music video.

:w00t:

Cash's version of Personal Jesus is okay. His version of Rusty Cage, however......

HOWEVER the biggest offender I can think of is Mariah Carey. She did a cover of one of Def Leppard's best songs from the era when they were still metal: Bringin' On The Heartbreak. AND IT TOTALLY, UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! Fuck Dave Navarro for playing it on. Seriously.

Mark Ronson has ruined Valerie for me. It used to be my favourite song ages ago, but now I have Amy Winehouse sounding like she's trying to cough something up in his version. And it's played everywhere, constantly. I hate it so, so much.

I agree with Pesci.

Although I'm willing to go one step further. I want her to die. :shifty:

Edited by Badd-um-tsch

I assume that means you agree?

The only cover I've ever heard that truly bothered me was when I heard Avril Lavigne do Fuel by Metallica years ago.

The giggling, and knowing she didn't care thats he was fucking it up, just made it all the worse.

HOWEVER the biggest offender I can think of is Mariah Carey. She did a cover of one of Def Leppard's best songs from the era when they were still metal: Bringin' On The Heartbreak. AND IT TOTALLY, UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! Fuck Dave Navarro for playing it on. Seriously.

Oh man, how could have I forgotten about that. This girl I know was playing this CD when that version came on. She started singing along with the lyrics when I realized what was going on: "Wait a minute... Bringin' On The Heartbreak? Isn't this... HOLY FUCK TURN THIS PIECE OF SHIT OFF RIGHT NOW."

Also, Cheryl Crow's cover of Sweet Child of Mine is pretty bad too.

I like Cornell's Billie Jean. It's got this blues feel to it.

Cash's Personal Jesus isn't a bad song, it's just really disappointing. I mean, the original was pretty good, Manson's cover rocked, as well as some others. And then when you see Cash doing it, and think of stuff like "Hurt," it could have been a lot better than it was.

Also, on the topic of Manson covers, This Is Halloween was awesome. I still need to "obtain" that.

Yeah, I like Manson's cover of "This Is Halloween" mounds better than Panic At The Disco's. I've watched performances of the song by both bands (and used to have an mp3 of Manson's cover..) and Manson's is just awesome. I need to reacquire that mp3.

I love Muse, and I love House of the Rising Sun, so you'd think I'd love a Muse cover of House of the Rising Sun, but no... it just makes my ears bleed. I honestly don't understand it :(

Nonpoint's cover of In the Air Tonight. Not a big Phil Collins fan, but the thing that made that song was the atmosphere. Nonpoint completely removed that.

Also, I pretty much loathe any band that covers a Cure song. I may like the band, but I'm sure to hate the song. I used to hate William Shatner's cover of the Pulp's Common people.......but the damn thing grew on me like a fungus. :shifty:

Bad covers are one thing (see Mark Ronson), but as someone mentioned what really pisses me off is when people are so fucking ignorant and/or stupid they don't even realise it's a cover. The original Valerie was on one time and I overheard this group of kids saying it was crap and why had someone covered that Amy Winehouse song (heck, even Mark Ronson didn't get a mention). I was all set to correct them when one of them had a brief flash of intelligence and mentioned that it was the original to the others. That's just an example, but it's bloody irritating.