Covers of Songs You Like, That You Hate

Hobo

To make it clearer, have you ever heard a cover of a song that you had previously known and this cover is so annoying to your ears that it makes you want to find the person singing it and slap them?

Mundy's cover of Steve Earle's 'Galway Girl' which is just plastered all over the place in Ireland over the last year or so. It is an utter abomination of Earle's song to my ear. Yet it is tremendously popular. I have the same issue with Jeff Buckely's 'Hallelujah' cover.

Come EWB, share in your Hobo's vitriol! Vent they spleens!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Ronson has ruined Valerie for me. It used to be my favourite song ages ago, but now I have Amy Winehouse sounding like she's trying to cough something up in his version. And it's played everywhere, constantly. I hate it so, so much.

Ronson's a dick. Whenever I've seen him on TV, he always seems so smug and smarmy, and he's "credited" with making the Amy Winehouse "sound." Can't think of anything I'd less want to be proud of. And he ruined Just.

Just, as in, the Radiohead song? I heard a cover of it on the radio last week and it was absolutely butchered. Didn't know who the perpetrator was though. I'll agree with the Valerie song as well, since it's played three or four times a day here, and I was never even all that keen on the original to begin with.

Killswitch Engage. Holy Diver. Gnnnrnnrrnng *puts down sharp object*

In a club the other night (metal night, obviously) they played it. And it started, and me and four other guys who didn't know each other but were suffering through the wank they were calling 'metal', got up and made our way to the dancefloor area.

Then we realised it was the KsE version, and three of us independently turned around and sat back down. It was hilarious. So much so that we laughed about it for the whole song, and discussed how fucking much we despite KsE, just for this one song, even though the rest of their stuff isn't as terrible as you'd think.

Then they played Bye Bye Beautiful by Nightwish, and the night was saved.

Ronson's a dick. Whenever I've seen him on TV, he always seems so smug and smarmy, and he's "credited" with making the Amy Winehouse "sound." Can't think of anything I'd less want to be proud of. And he ruined Just.

Just, as in, the Radiohead song? I heard a cover of it on the radio last week and it was absolutely butchered. Didn't know who the perpetrator was though. I'll agree with the Valerie song as well, since it's played three or four times a day here, and I was never even all that keen on the original to begin with.

I love the KsE cover. I mean, there's no beating Dio, but I thought their cover was really well done.

And they hardly try to be "bad ass" or whatever. On YouTube, look for the "As Daylight Days, Track by Track." One of the things I like about the band is that they don't take themselves super serious like every other "hardcore" band.

I remember recently some broad was telling me Maroon 5 had this awesome song that they hadn't released and if they did would blow the world away. She was going on how it showed "the true genius of Adam Levine".

She played their cover of Don't Look Back In Anger. It sucked. I don't know who I wanted to slap more: the girl or Adam Levine.

Marilyn Manson did a cover of Tainted Love that I absolutely despise. The only thing going for it is the hot chick in the music video.

On the other hand, I liked Manson's version of Sweet Dreams, because it made the song sound a lot more sinister.

Agree wholeheartedly with Yitzy regarding Shakira's version of Back In Black. It does pick up a bit after a minute or two, but it still sucks.

HOWEVER the biggest offender I can think of is Mariah Carey. She did a cover of one of Def Leppard's best songs from the era when they were still metal: Bringin' On The Heartbreak. AND IT TOTALLY, UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! Fuck Dave Navarro for playing it on. Seriously.

And I don't super-hate it, but compared to what has been done, Johnny Cash's version of Personal Jesus was meh.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Marilyn Manson did a cover of Tainted Love that I absolutely despise. The only thing going for it is the hot chick in the music video.

On the other hand, I liked Manson's version of Sweet Dreams, because it made the song sound a lot more sinister.

Sweet Dreams is the only good Manson cover. The others are too similar but just with a 'dark' sound, and its annoying.

And I don't super-hate it, but compared to what has been done, Johnny Cash's version of Personal Jesus was meh.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Sweet Dreams is the only good Manson cover. The others are too similar but just with a 'dark' sound, and its annoying.

I dunno, I like his cover of "Mind of A Lunatic" by Geto Boys.