Covers of Songs You Like, That You Hate

Hobo

The Nightwish cover of that didn't drive me to murder that much, they tried to tone down the guitar solos by shifting some of the song to keyboards which was bloody stupid but it was nowhere near as bad as so many covers out there. After all the worst Nightwish related atrocity was Tarja, she's done covers of both Smells like Teen Spirit and Poison. Part of me liked that she hadn't done a straight up copy of them but the more I thought about it the more I thought she should've just left them untouched. Then again, she did say to me that she'd never intended for SLTS to be filmed performing that one for fun at a fashion thing, oh well...

*seconds the Lavigne hatred*

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....fuck off........I'm just listening to this for the first time....it's fucking brilliance.

These are the kind of covers I WANT to here.

Well, it would actually be quite unfair to call it a cover as Amos doesn't really follow any of the original song structure for Raining Blood, at all.

Muse's cover of House of the Rising Sun was pretty good, I thought.

Cash's cover of Rusty Cage was abysmal, I'll agree.

Didn't Korn do a cover of Comfortably Numb? That was fucking awful. My opinion's probably void though, cause I liked Scissor Sister's version.

Amos' Raining Blood cover is fucking awesome. Actually, I've yet to hear a Tori Amos cover I dislike.

Edited by Cloudy

Mark Ronson/Timbaland and all these "..mixed by DJ Dave" you here on the adverts are twats. Well, the whole producer thing is annoying, they press a button to set off a random drum loop and are praised as being awesome.

Anyway, Johnny Cash's cover of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage is meh too, and worse is that fact people hail Cash as a god and would probably over look the SG version, similar to NIN's Hurt. I'm sure Cash is good however, but not my kinda thing. Though he has suddenly got a lot more recognition after he kicked the bucket though :shifty: .

EDIT: Wow, I didn't see the mentioning of Cash's Rusty Cage above lol :P , just skipped from the first page to post :P .

The whole of Paul Anka's "Rock Swings" album. Basically, he takes popular rock songs, and makes them into swing. But they're so bad as the majority of the songs don't keep the same rhythms or riffs, like Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. He's basically just took someone else's lyrics and made a different song altogether bascially. He even changes the lyrics of Teen Spirit, from "Load up your guns/Bring your friends" to "Load up, Load up/Bring Your Friends" just not to offend the grannies in the crowd, in the most happiest way ever. He just didn't even get the song. About the only decent ones by him I've heard is Oasis' Wonderwall.

Oh, and he can't get his genre's right (but who can these days looking at Last.fm tags?). Imagine the advert...

"Paul Anka brings to you ROCK SWINGS, featuring swing versions of your favourite rock songs! Featuring 'Wonderwall' by Oasis, 'Smells Like Teen Spirirt' by Nirvana, 'Black Hole Sun' by Soundgarden, 'Everybody Hurts' by REM and 'It's My Life' by Bon Jovi, as well as THE PET SHOP BOYS and LIONEL RICHIE!"

o_O What?

Edited by TheModernWay

I don't HATE it but Frank Sinatra and Jimmy Buffet's cover of "Mack the Knife" is probably the worst rendition of it I've heard; Sinatra tries too hard to make it a Sinatra song, Jimmy Buffet should have never been there, and referring to the title character as a "bum" (see Sinatra trying too hard to be Sinatra for why this happened) seems to sort of undermine the entire point of the song.

Now I don't mind a bit of Fall Out Boy from time to time and actually quite enjoy some of their earlier work but when I heard their cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart (originally by Joy Division... as if I needed to point that out) a feeling of wanting to just curb stomp the hell out of Pete Wentz and Patrick Stumps faces came over me all of a sudden... can't really explain that kind of feeling but they wrecked a brilliant song.

Edited by 619 fan

Anyway, Johnny Cash's cover of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage is meh too, and worse is that fact people hail Cash as a god and would probably over look the SG version, similar to NIN's Hurt. I'm sure Cash is good however, but not my kinda thing. Though he has suddenly got a lot more recognition after he kicked the bucket though :shifty: .
Edited by Dragsy

Well, when Guerrero died and they used the Cash version of Hurt, it was one of the songs that music naive fans came along and said "it's awesome" and so forth without mentions of NIN. Back in 2005, I admit I wasn't into music that much, and I'm not really a fan of NIN, I saw the Cash video a few times on TV and I only found it was a NIN song with a random search on the Windows Media Player Media Guide thingy.

And another thing is with Cash, my firends in uni were on going through their MP3 players, and saw 'Closer' by NIN, and I said that Limp Bizkit took the lyrics from that for Hot Dog etc. and played a bit. They didn't like Bizkit, (but thats up to them), but one of them said "do you know why I like Nine Inch Nails? Because Johnny Cash covered them"... and? :wacko:

With the Rusty Cage cover, yeah, I guess its opinion again, but it's just a bit too boring. the SG cover is "just turn up load and lose yourself" awesome. Maybe I'm partial to SG and that album (Badmotorfinger, especially the first 4 anthems), but hey :P.

Maybe, but Badmotorfinger is the only Soundgarden I have, and I lvoe it, yet I still love that cover :/

I think some people dismiss a cover purely because of the reputation of the band they're covering. Like when I heard Fall Out Boy were covering Michael Jackson, my first thought was how bad the backlash they were going to get for it would be.

I don't wanna turn this into a Soundgarden thread (or do I? :pervert: ) but get as much as you can. I have Superunknown too and used to think that it wouldn't get any better than that, until I got Badmotorfinger. I've streamed both Louder Than Love and Down on the Upside from Last.fm and they're both good, and am patiently waiting for the random CD/DVD seller dude to turn up at uni because I'm pretty sure they have Louder Than Love and another SG CD as one there for £2.50. It's been ages. :(

Sum 41's cover of 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' at the MTV Metallica apprection thing should've been crap but wasn't. The less said about Snoop Dogg's (sorry, 'Snooptellica's') version of 'Sad But True' the better. Just imagine him and his homies saying "yayeah" for a bit more than a minute, and that's it for those who haven't heard/seen it. Lars was NOT having fun watching that cover.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm going to defend the Paul Anka Rock Swings just because of the sheer bizarreness of the whole thing. And I actually liked a couple of them (Wonderwall, Jump, True).

I'm going to defend the Paul Anka Rock Swings just because of the sheer bizarreness of the whole thing. And I actually liked a couple of them (Wonderwall, Jump, True).

I agree it's a good idea, but it's the fact with the likes of Black Hole Sun and Smells Like Teen Spirit, they've just lost all meaning and everything that made those songs great. Wonderwall was pretty decent, and I don't like swing nor Oasis, because it kept what the original had. The super-cheezy cheezyness doesnt help too lol.

"oooo yeah, with the lights out, it's less dangerous, here are now, *shoots a wink at someone in the crowd* entertain us, yeah"

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I also forgot about "It's My Life", where Paul changes the one line to "Frank said he did it my way" - Paul was the original writer of My Way. I can't decide if that's snarkily awesome or badly egotistical.