Covers of Songs You Like, That You Hate

Hobo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muse's cover of House of the Rising Sun was pretty good, I thought.

Cash's cover of Rusty Cage was abysmal, I'll agree.

Didn't Korn do a cover of Comfortably Numb? That was fucking awful. My opinion's probably void though, cause I liked Scissor Sister's version.

Worst Cover Ever...

"American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz. Fucking moron never understood the whole concept behind the song or the worlds And heather graham gyrating in a stars and stripes bikini was fucking hilarious.

Also, I've learned from this thread.

Manson is the most famous karoake artist ever!

I say this every time but I hated the whole Ramones tribute album, the one with Manson, RHCP, Kiss, Eddie Vedder, and a bunch of other groups.

Didn't really care for Guns and Roses Aint It Fun or Pearl Jam's Sonic Reducer originally done by the Dead Boys (or Rocket From the Tombs really).

That Ramones tribute album was basically a waste of space, you had Manson "goth"-ing up The KKK Took My Baby Away in the most horrible and obvious way possible, while practically everyone else did a boring straight cover...Rob Zombie's Blitzkrieg Bop was an interesting take, but nothing spectacular.

Tom Waits' Return Of Jackie & Judy, though, was fucking brilliant, and was my first real introduction to the great man.

Worst Cover Ever...

"American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz. Fucking moron never understood the whole concept behind the song or the worlds And heather graham gyrating in a stars and stripes bikini was fucking hilarious.

The first part was bad enough, it's not a bad cover, but to insult Heather Graham? Sir, you have taken a step to far and I DEMAND satisfaction!

title-idemandsatisfaction.gif

Worst Cover Ever...

The first part was bad enough, it's not a bad cover, but to insult Heather Graham? Sir, you have taken a step to far and I DEMAND satisfaction!

Oh fuck, right. Okay, I don't actually like the original all that much, but motherfuck A Perfect Circle for their shitty cover of "Imagine" by John Lennon. And then fuck Green Day for their cover of "Working Class Hero." And I don't even feel that I have to hear Christina Aguilera's cover of "Mother" to render a "fuck that noise" since that's such a intensely personal song.

Honestly, until I heard Donny Hathaway's incredibly beautiful-sounding cover of "Jealous Guy" I was starting to think it was impossible to actually cover a solo-era John Lennon song well.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Honestly, until I heard Donny Hathaway's incredibly beautiful-sounding cover of "Jealous Guy" I was starting to think it was impossible to actually cover a solo-era John Lennon song well.

Neil Young's cover of "Imagine" isn't bad, either.

Oh fuck, right. Okay, I don't actually like the original all that much, but motherfuck A Perfect Circle for their shitty cover of "Imagine" by John Lennon. And then fuck Green Day for their cover of "Working Class Hero." And I don't even feel that I have to hear Christina Aguilera's cover of "Mother" to render a "fuck that noise" since that's such a intensely personal song.

I think I've mentioned it before, but Lemmy's sings on the Numbers From The Beast version of the Trooper turns a song that's face-rockingly kickass into something I could do better, because his singing is god-awful. He even manages to make mistakes in the lyrics, as does the guy who does the vocals on Fear Of The Dark.

Worst Cover Ever...

This thread is kind of difficult for me. Not because it's difficult to come up with cover versions that fit the description, but because I'm a huge fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and keep buying tribute and cover compilations by a bunch of no-name groups that think they can do justice to Priest and Maiden classics. I wouldn't even know where to start. Maiden must be the most covered band in the world.

Here's a good list of Maiden tribute albums. I've managed to hunt down a significant amount of them, and I genuinely like a lot of the songs on a lot of the compilations, but there's at least 50 or so cover versions I could list that should not have been recorded.

I see your Iron Maiden and raise you a Misfits.

Seriously... I have more cover versions of their songs than songs BY them. My library of Misfits stuff, live, studio and rare... eclipsed by the library of Misfits Cover Stuff.

Some of it is horrendous, some of it is fun, and some of it is just straight up cover songs. The latter two are my favorite. Alkaline Trio's version of Halloween is hella-fun with just the piano and vocals.

I see your Iron Maiden and raise you a Misfits.

Seriously... I have more cover versions of their songs than songs BY them. My library of Misfits stuff, live, studio and rare... eclipsed by the library of Misfits Cover Stuff.

Some of it is horrendous, some of it is fun, and some of it is just straight up cover songs. The latter two are my favorite. Alkaline Trio's version of Halloween is hella-fun with just the piano and vocals.