Kevin Smith

'That Guy'

I watched "Mallrats" again this morning...just...Dogma >>>>> Mallrats > The rest....still...but damn, it's so fucking funny;

Brodie: You're giving up? You? You used to be stand-up guy, what happened to him? The guy who punched Amanda Gross's mother after she called him "low class".

TS: That wasn't me. It was you.

Brodie: Oh, yeah.

TS: And it wasn't her mother, it was her grandmother.

Brodie: No wonder the bitch went down so fast.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all Kevin Smith=GOD. He's the reason i got into filmmaking. I love everything he's done, yes even Jersey Girl. I must say though Chasing Amy was the best, but i may be biased since I'm gay. I saw Clerks 2 like 5 time opening weekend, good times. I'm almost done with "My Boring Ass Life" right now, and it makes me love the guy even more, he just seems like a cool person to shoot the shit with. :wub: Kevin Smith

I'm not a huge fan of of Kevin Smith, but I will admit he has some funny moments in his movies.

My favorite is simply the fact that Brodie is carrying that Dixie Cup with him through the entire movie, and even asks someone to fill it for him at one point. The highlight of it is when they get to the mall and he runs into Afleck, he spills his drink, steps on the wet spot and slips. It all happens so quickly and the attention isn't on him, but my god its funny. Background humour rules. Mallrats was deffinatly my favorite, especially Micheal Rooker.

But I could personally have done without the necrophelia and beastiality of Clerks I and II.

I've just finished watching Mallrats, making that the third film I've seen of Kevin Smith's along with the two Clerks. Minus the first Clerks, its all pretty middling stuff really. I don't see why Smith has such a cult following but I do need to see (at least) Chasing Amy and Dogma, so I'll refrain from a definitive judgment until then.

Don't love him, don't hate him, just couldn't care less about his movies or those who he repeatedly gets to act in them.....Except Claire Forlani's appearance of course :wub:

I do have a a twinge of annoyance and "eh?!" over Jay and Silent Bob as characters for sure.

Smith is one of those guys who's tagged with the over-rated tag, mainly because every one of his movies are awesome. He's kind of like the Tarrantino of his genre. I love everything I've ever seen from him, including his "An Evening With Kevin Smith" documentary type stuff. He writes some of the funniest one liners, and come on, anyone who can make something out of Jason Mewes deserves to be heralded as one of the greatest. Not to mention, he was the first person to make me realize I love me some Ben Affleck.

I have loved Kevin Smith since I was first held hostage and made to watch Clerks in 1997. I own all his films, with the exception of Jersey Girl. I think where a lot of people miss 'getting' Kevin Smith movies is this........there are huge pay offs in the references to his previous films. If you don't watch the movies in secession and you don't have a good memory, then you miss out on 'in' jokes. Those and awesome witty dialogue is what make these movies so great to me. I remember sitting in the theater watching Dogma with my friend. We were howling and nobody, I mean NOBODY else in the theater so much as giggled. This made us laugh even harder and led to a snarky superior feeling of privilege. The whole experience of his movies is like when you and your buddies have stupid inside jokes that no one, but your group, will understand. The fact that outsiders don't get "it", makes it all the more funnier. That's why I love Kevin Smith. He made me feel like one of the gang.

Ah, Kevin Smith...He's a odd topic for me. There are at least some aspects of his movies that I really adore and for the most part, I love each of them. The only ones I'd say I was slightly in the middle about and/or neutral over was Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back & Jersey Girl. Though that might be because in the case of J&SBSB, it felt like a giant "Hey! Let's throw in as many cameos from my previous movies as we can!" and left me feeling let down at the time when it was going to be the "last" Jay & Silent Bob related movie.

That said, J&SBSB might also be the case of the ever revolving door on my tastes when it comes to his movies. Some days I'll prefer Clerks or Chasing Amy (where the duo have limited roles, especially in the latter), other days it'll be Mallrats or Dogma or Clerks II(where the duo are more apart of the main cast, in my opinion). Each of them have their own quirks to them and messages/views, some of them are a little more clear than other ones (like, Chasing Amy's message is far more clear than Clerks' to me). Plus, Dogma aside all of them involve the hopeless romantic loser, and I've been there, done that (thus can relate to it).

Jersey Girl on the other hand, I had wanted to see at the movies but it never got any where near me. By the time it was out on video, every one had already condemned it as a piece of crap. Granted, his other movies have been bashed about just as hard but never by his own fanbase. Eventually I saw it and went "This? This is the thing that people threw their arms up over?" and shrugged, and moved on.

But I'm well aware of the limits Kevin Smith has too, and realize he's not the be all, end all of directors despite my own liking of him. And, can see why some people don't like him, especially with his strong views & at times harsh (albeit witty) lines in his movies. Not to mention that much like video games, we are moving more & more towards a society that bases their enjoyment of a flick on the visuals rather than the plot. So, for those folks (that want C.G.I. up the yin yang, too many huge explosions to count, dramatic and innovative sweeping massive camera angles, ect)...Kevin Smith films aren't for them.

JSBSB was Kevin's "Hey, look how many famous motherfuckers I have in my cellphone" flick. It was mindless and somewhat pointless, but still pretty decent fun. Jersey Girl was sort of...meh. Carlin needed to be a little more angry-old-fucker. And Mallrats isn't one that I can watch over and over again (unlike my friends who between the two of them wore out SEVEN VHS copies), but when I do watch it, it makes me chuckle a lot.

The rest are gold...although I could have done without the Clerks 2 musical number. Serious "WTF" overload.

I love Smith just because he took so little and made so much with it. He is witty as fuck and just entertaining.

This a thousand times this. He took black-and-white film and a few people nobody had ever heard of and created something utterly hilarious out of it. Basically, if you don't like Clerks (or don't get it), you won't like any of his other movies with the possible exception of Dogma, which is somewhat different from Mallrats, Clerks and Chasing Amy in that it's...I think "grander" is the word I might be looking for. It's bigger, it's more plot-driven, there's less time for the characters to stand around and jaw about shit.

I like his movies, but am annoyed as all hell with him. Seemed during some point after Dogma, he turned into supermegafamous director guy and started loading his movies with celebrities and put his talentless wife in everything he could. Plus, seeing him fanboy it up on Degrassi made me lose a ton of respect for the guy. That being said, he's the only guy who has ever made Ben Affleck look like a good actor and Randal Graves is the best created movie character, ever. Also, he can write some funny if not unbelievably unrealistic dialouge.

Umm, I love me some Degrassi but the way he acted in that episode was creepy. To me, the guy seemed to think he was actually in the Degrassi universe or something.

Degrassi Junior High, now there's a television show.

Hey, piss off - Jennifer Schwalbach is at least hot and she's not on-screen for that long or is as bad as you make her out to be!

Just awful in Clerks II.