Epic games

So, yeah - I'm pretty sure everyone's had a game where you come away going "fuck, that was epic!" Maybe you survived being quadrupled teamed in Halo (god, somone must've sucked then), or maybe you defended your base from a Zerg onslaught in StarCraft.

My most recent "epic" game just happened. I was playing Battle For Wesnoth against my girlfriend, one on one. The game started out slow enough, with each of us capturing a decent amount of villages. About 20 minutes in I go down to capture a village around the middle of the map and, since Fog of War was on, the fog started lifting the further I moved my units - and I noticed a fuck-off huge army of trolls, orcs and goblins coming at my elves. Thankfully they were far enough way that I could bring down about twelve troops - rangers, hero units, horsemen, mermen - to the location. So I stationed the mermen in the swampy area with two lines of horsemen/heroes/rangers etc. lined up in front of the village I had just captured or in the woods near it.

Two hours later and her troops finally start pushing mine back, but not before one hero unit evolved into a champion and multiple level 1 units hit level 2 (the highest attainable level for a unit is 3). By the time she had to go to class she had only captured two of my villages and started the slow push forward to my base. We eventually called it a draw so she could go to class, but it was a fucking epic game, with about a dozen elves defending the same village against multiple waves of orcs etcetera for those two hours.

Last epic moment I had was running throught the city after the guys son in call of duty 4. This was so fun because I threw everything about the game out the window strategy wise and just ran through knifing and shooting people with the handgun.

Epic = Sports games.

NHL Hitz Pro. Man, I've had some epic games with it. 6 player, 3 vs. 3. Oh man. So much carnage. My friends and I used to play in highschool nonstop. Nothing spells productivity than skipping the last period of the day, bongin' it, then playing best of 7 series in Hitz.

If only scoring a goal in a video game could be as rewarding as scoring in street hockey. But it never will be. Ever.

Madden has been good for epic games. I played this game against one of my friends. I was my fantasy Toronto Argonauts vs. the Pats, at New England, in the snow, windy, at night. 2nd half was the most ridiculous, seesaw, 10 minutes ever. Lead changes, INT's, long bombs, blitzes like crazy, QB's everywhere but the pocket, it was carnage. I ended up winning the game in OT on a field goal. I think it was the first and only time I've ever felt physically spent after playing a game.

Again, if only it was as epic of a feeling as scoring a TD in a brisk, autumn afternoon football game in the park. We've had some epic football games in the winter and fall.

One of the first games of NHL 08 I played online. I was Toronto against Pittsburgh. I was playing poorly and losing by three going into the third and could hear the kid bad mouthing me. Instead of yelling back, I won the third period opening faceoff and immediately scored with Mats Sundin. I tied the game late and I started jumping for joy I was so happy. Even better was scoring the overtime winner, again with Mats Sundin, by pokechecking one of his forwards, getting a breakaway and then deking the shit out of their goalie.

Sports Games for me as well...in particular Pro Evolution Soccer I once had a match against my mate which went 7-6 with me winning after throwing Rio Ferdinand and Carrick forward. I actually jumped around batshit crazy for a while after the winning goal.

Probably the time me, my brother and best mate all played No Mercy. We were fairly equally skilled at the time, and we had a triple threat match. It nearly went 90 minutes with us all beating the living shit out of each other before I managed to scramble a win. Never had such a keenly contested match since on a wrestling game.

Sports games also does it for me. Mainly soccer games and such, mostly because that's the only sport I'm interested in. But a game that equals untilt he last minute just has me going up in smoke and gives an epic feel. But I echo the sentiments of the StarCraft stuff; god I need to play that game agian.

I agree with Toe. That, for me, was such a big moment in videogames.

The fact that this main character dies and you can't do anything about it....The nuclear bomb going off, you crawling out of the wreckage, slowly dying from radiation, before looking at the explosion in the distance. Eerie.

For me, when I first noticed I was still alive after the explosion I thought "hmmm, kinda cheap", but then I crawled to the heli exit and saw the nuclear wind blowing past and the decimated reddened city and then looked up at the cloud.....Just wow.

Other epic games for me are Ico (the scale, the story, everything really) and Shadow Of The Colossus (first time you run into the first beast and realise you're about to clamber up it and kill it) - they both make me long for the third game which is coming to the PS3 next year.

Metal Gear Solids, especially 1 and 3 also.

I think my first venture into an Oblivion Gate (Elder Scrolls) to the tune of D.R.I.'s Manifest Destiny playing through the X-Box was pretty fucking epic.

A friend of mine and I had a great game of Tecmo Bowl a few weeks back. I was San Francisco and he was Chicago, it was an evenly contest game with him going up 21-19 towards the end of the game. So I'm on my last drive of the game, I connect with two quick passes to John Taylor, with the clock an issue I get out of bounds. I have ten seconds, so I throw a nice long pass to Jerry Rice, he runs about twenty yards, and I get out of bounds with about a second or two left on the clock. I decide to set up for the field, the kick is up, AND...I missed. But still, it was an awesome game.

I remember I've had some great games on Smackdown! games, NCAA Football games, Halo, and the like.

Smackdown! I remember prominently on Here Comes The Pain it was Kurt Angle (Me) vs. Chris Benoit (my friend) in an ultimate submission match. It started with me beating the hell out of him and going up 3-0 early on. He came back shortly after somehow and started beating the shit out of me. He ended up tying it up with 5 minutes left and it became both of us trying to get the other one into a finisher so they'd hopefully tap. I ended up locking in the Ankle Lock with 30 seconds left and won 4-3. One of my favorite matches ever.

NCAA football I remember a UNC vs. Virginia game the first day that I bought it. I wasn't the best because it was the first NCAA game I had bought before (It was 06 I believe) and I was playing against Virginia who was #22 or 23 in the dynasty. I was down by 21 at the end of the first half but I ended up tying it up and then taking the lead by a field goal near the end of the second half. Virginia makes a 40 yard field goal to send it into over time and they get the ball first. They get a bomb thrown into the endzone and I somehow pick it off with my CB and get the ball. I missed a 30 yard field goal to send it into 2OT. I stopped them from getting into the endzone then I finally hit the field goal to win it in Double OT. I never had a game better than that in 06.

I had a epic NCAA football game earlier tonight against my friend. He was West Virgina and I was LSU. The first half he totally kicked my ass as my defense couldn't stop him on the important third and forth downs and my offense couldn't move as he was getting pressure with just his front four. I went into half time down 20-0 with no hope of improving.

Third quarter we both can't score as I get horrid field position and he can't move on me. Finally I get a pick but can't outrun Slaton and Pat White so I end around the 30 yard line. I decide to sub in Perriloux as he was running with Pat White and I wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine. I end up throwing a lucky td and just celebrate not getting shut out. He responded with a quick td and it was 27-7 going into the forth.

I end up working well with Perriloux getting some good rushing yards and passing when I need to and I get back into the game due to some lucky picks when I needed them and I score twice to make it 27-21. I stop him on forth down(he was to far for a fg yet to close for a punt) and get the ball with two minute left. I work down the field a little to fast and end up having to score with around thirty seconds left to go up by one. He gets the ball and two dropped inteceptions and two lucky catches later and he is in field goal range but he becomes a idiot and kicked a field goal with six seconds left on the clock when he could of kicked it with 1 or 2 seconds left. He makes the field goal with his punter as his kicked was injuried and I get the ball with three seconds left.(I fair catched it so time wouldn't tick off as i couldn't return it on him all day. ) The last play is a hail mary yet my guys are more than covered so I attempt to run it with my fast qb and a few moves later I am about to take it to the house when his DE who some how tracked me all the way down the field made a shoe string tackle and I lost 30-28.

Guest homerjfry

God of War 2 just felt epic, due to the size and scale. Just impressive on all accounts. And i agree with the Shadow of the Colossus mention too. That game was insane.

LAN battles in Medieval II with bigass castles, three players to a side and a points advantage to the attackers. Shit gets so ridiculously massive that you start thinking that losing two thousand peasants to take one castle gate is totally acceptable.

Crazy how the game comes close to the real thing, eh.

Following on from the Mass Effect talk, I recently started up a fresh game on the second hardest difficulty (the hardest one is just silly), and got to...Feros? I think it is? Not only is the AI stupidly good on this difficulty, there are loads more of the bastards, I got to this large room with a number of crates giving both myself and the enemy cover, it was a bit of a stalemate, with my guys taking a load of damage then having to get into cover, then the same for them. Then i made a stupid move by sending both my guys to the other end of the room, whereby they got absolutely slaughtered. Then the enemy starts doing some major advancing on me and back me up to a wall, so I take it upon myself to make a run for it back to a safe house and they all start chasing me, Im lobbing grenades and using every skill I have just to keep them back but theres just too many of them, then I make it back to base and all of my allied NPC's just blast the fuckers as they come out of the door, it was amazing.

I gotta say, shooters and RTS's do tend to have the most epic moments in them.

There's a map on Starcraft called River Battle, I think. It's only for two players, if I remember correctly. Well, me and the guy I was teamed up against weren't all that good, so I guess that lent to the epicness of it. We both sit up our main lines of defense right in the middle of the map, on opposite sides of the river. Missile turret rows three thick lined the back and a mass of bunkers guarded the two bridges that linked our two sides.

The battle was stalemated for the better part of an hour, with every assault--including nuclear on my part--being beaten away on both sides.

Air assaults proved pretty invalid, despite his use of carriers at the first.

It finally ended when he sent what looked to be an entire fleet of carriers, followed by a swarm of ground troops to mop up my devastated defensive line. The funny thing is, about 15 minutes before that, if I hadn't had been so cautious, I could have sent in my ground forces and totally decimated him.