Epic games

Rainbow Six Vegas 2, where:

the terrorists actually succeed at throwing a chemical weapon into an arena full of people, and you arrive there just in time to hear them scream and die.

My friends and I were sitting there, shocked. Like the COD4 thing, its something you don't normally see in video games. I also remembered an epic moment from NHL 07. A friend and I had played a season with the Leafs and made the finals where we faced Calgary. Down 2-1 with maybe five minutes left, I took the puck with Jeff O'Neill and skated towards the net. I had never scored a goal with the spin-o-rama before, but I just went for it and ended up slipping the puck underneath the goaltenders pads to tie the game. It felt great. We won it in overtime.

Guitar Hero 3, hard career mode, I got 99% on 'One' by Metallica, and failed. Tried again next day, and somehow, someway I got to 100%, hitting the last note, then FAILING. Epic, for all the wrong reasons. I even have photo proof. 'One' and Slayer's 'Raining Blood' have put me off the game/s.

Edited by TheModernWay

For me, nothing was more epic than Super Metroid on the SNES.

I mean the opening level where you practically get killed and then have to escape is awesome and then at the end when the metroid comes back and saps all your energy only to become your friend again and kill the Mother Brain... Just awesome... Timeless.

Guest homerjfry
Guitar Hero 3, hard career mode, I got 99% on 'One' by Metallica, and failed. Tried again next day, and somehow, someway I got to 100%, hitting the last note, then FAILING. Epic, for all the wrong reasons. I even have photo proof. 'One' and Slayer's 'Raining Blood' have put me off the game/s.

I haven't played GH3. How is this possible?

I was indeed referring to the EU3 game where, God knows why, my annexation and/or vassalisation of Spain, England, Austria, Sweden, and virtually the entire of North America to create a French hegemony left everyone else feeling somewhat miffed. They opted to express their displeasure by lobbing several hundred thousand soldiers in my general direction.

I should point out that the war only lasted 80-odd years because I installed a new patch which screwed with that save file's dynamics, not because I actually made peace or anything.

I haven't played GH3. How is this possible?

First time I saw the end notes and died on them, getting 99%.

Tried again, scraping through, got to the last notes (which were all the same) and though "right, this is the end, fucking hammer it". I strummed too many times, getting the final note, but still died. And at first I thought I'd done it still, until it popped up "FAILED 100%". Grr. Haven't tried since, and that was in January.

• Admin
Other epic games for me are Ico (the scale, the story, everything really) and Shadow Of The Colossus (first time you run into the first beast and realise you're about to clamber up it and kill it) - they both make me long for the third game which is coming to the PS3 next year.

:o

Tell me more.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old, but fuck it... it's 4am and these things must be told...

Team Fortress 2, Arena Badlands (for those who don't know Arena: No respawning, no medipacks, fight either until your entire team is dead, or someone captures the single capture point on the map).

I'm playing as a Medic, as usual. My medic-buddy Heavy is dead because he's a tit (two sentries and a heavy in the room ahead? Yes, let's just waltz straight in there when the medic is 4% away from an uber... you utter, utter prick). Anyway, fast forward to the end, the CP is unlocked and it's 2 on 2. Me and a spy on Red vs. a Pyro and a Sniper on Blu.

I'm on the bridge, running towards the CP from where Red originally spawns. There's a sniper in the room overlooking the CP, who I just see at the last second and take evasive action. He wings me, I survive with 25ish HP. The sniper duly gets backstabbed by our Spy disguised as their pyro, and in horrifically unfortunate circumstances their Pyro is standing RIGHT behind him when he does so, so bye bye spy. Me vs. Pyro.

Pyro taunts, so I start opening up with the Blutsauger (God I love that thing), Pyro does the only thing he can reasonably be expected to do under the circumstances and runs towards me, flamethrower ablaze. I back off and smugly think I have it won (Blutsauger is healing me as it damages the pyro, I'm almost faster than a pyro even going backwards, so chances are he'll die before he gets to me). Then I hit the wall, and shit myself. Blutsauger runs dry, so I sprint like hell for the CP, but the pyro catches me with a flame. Pyro then falls off the bridge in a moment I'll never forget, and assuming I'm going to die, starts laughing about it over chat instead of running back up onto the bridge to finish me off.

With THREE HITPOINTS LEFT, I cap the point, and then die from the flames. We fucking win. Now THAT was epic.

Also, while not a computer game, I might as well brag about my epic Warhammer battle last night :shifty: Well, the epic part of it, anyway.

So we have an Organ Gun. Or, more precisely, we have two members of the crew of an Organ Gun, since the gun and the other crewman were long-since destroyed. Charging them we have 3 remaining Chosen Chaos Knights of Khorne. Basically, two essentially unarmed (they have little blacksmiths hammers and stuff), and essentially unarmoured Dwarfs vs. 3 of the best models in the entire game in combat. The Knights charged, so they get another extra attack each.

So that's 6 attacks just for the horses, for fuck's sake. But at Weapon Skill 3 they needed to roll 4 or more to hit. Two of them did, one of which wounded and I failed the save. Great, so that's one Dwarf down just from the horses attacks.

Then it was the Champion's turn. Four attacks just from that one guy, with WS5, so only needing a 3 or more to hit. Four 2's. He rolls four fucking twos. Officially the most fucking retarded Chosen Chaos Knight Champion in the entire world. Khorne will have special 'gifts' set aside for him, I'm sure.

Then the 'regular' Chosen Knights, same stats as the Champion but only 2 attacks, so six overall. All six hit. Not great for me. Five fail to wound. What the fuck weapons do these guys have? By some miracle I pass the 6+ save on the one that does.

So, two Dwarfs started the combat, faced with SIXTEEN attacks. Of those, an entire two managed to wound anything at all, and only one of those managed to kill something, and that was from one of the fucking horses. Not the most utterly brilliant round of combat ever.

So then my one guy gets to strike back, with his pissy little smithy's hammer and no armour to speak of. One attack, at WS4, Str3. That's a 4+ to hit and another 4+ to wound, and then even if he manages that it's a Chaos Knight on a Chaos Steed with barding, which is a 1+ save (1's always fail, so essentially all the guy's gotta do is NOT roll a 1, and he's fine. I think you can guess what's coming). Roll to hit, 6. Roll to wound, 4. Knight's saving throw... 1.

Cue raucous laughter from just about everyone in the room. So let's resolve this combat: Three knights charged two Dwarf Organ Gun crew members. They inflicted ONE unsaved wound, courtesy of one of the steeds. One Dwarf was left to fight back, and he managed one unsaved wound. Neither side had a standard, but the Knights outnumbered the Dwarfs, and the Dwarfs were on higher ground so each side gets a bonus point for that. End result: Draw.

180 points worth of prime killing machine, draws a combat with... well, we can't even give the Dwarf crewmen a points value; they're the most basic unit available, even a basic Dwarf warrior gets Heavy armour so isn't comparable. At a guess, let's call it 10 points.

Of course, the poor lone crewman got absolute DECIMATED in the next round, but who cares? It's one more round where the Knights can't kill anything else.

...I still lost the game though :(

Edited by Farmer Reil

I can't believe the knights didn't have full command group. I never leave home without it, still one of those moments worth actually playing the game for.

I've lost count of the number of epic games of FM & EU3 I've had. Most recent FM 2008 one FA cup final against Arsenal as Championship Stevenage. Gooners run into a two-nil lead, Henry with a brace. I throw on James Fletcher, 17 year old England U21 striker and demand to see more of the team, Fletcher gets one straight after the break and Roberto Palacios (Costa Rica FTW!) get us level on 80. Fabregas nets a third for them on 85 before Fletcher nets a brace on 90 and 91 to steal the cup. I've since started shocking this season but don't mean diddly. Stevenage in Europe.