Doctor Who

Benji

The last episode was complete tosh; with only the last 90 seconds and the odd reference to past Doctors being good at all. It's a shame, because the deformed doom-like monster at the end could have made for quite a good horror episode.

And Sheep; we literaly discussed that last on page 25. General consensus seems to be start with Season 6; which is where the current combination of Steven Moffat as Executive Producer, Matt Smith as the Doctor and Karen Gillan/Arthur Darvill as companions starts.

If you like, go back further in 'New Who,' starting with Season Two which is the start of David Tennant as the Doctor. His run contains no small amount of things which get referenced (or play an active part) in the Matt Smith stuff. Plus, there's a lot of brilliant episodes and Tenny :wub:

Then Season One of New Who isn't entirely without merit.

And then random classics; there's very rarely a need to watch any Classic's in a particular order. We can recommend stuff if and when you get to that point.

See, the number of posts I see per page means that this isn't even ON page 25 yet, and I didn't see it discussed in the last few pages I'm on. But thanks for the recommendations. I'll give those a try.

Start with Season One, from 2005, starring Eccleston. He did a bang up awesome job as The Doctor, and it will help make more sense of other characters in future seasons such as Rose and Captain Jack. Then go backwards if you really like the show and are all caught up to date and see the other 8 Doctors. And have a blast watching Who for the first time, it's a fucking fun show.

Thanks. (Y) Seems like it'll be right up my alley.

Holy crap. There was a rumour going around that we'd get a multiple Doctor episode this year, but it was suggesting McGann - is there any more evidence around to suggest a Tennant/Davidson appearance, then? For now I'm leaning more towards this being somebody editing IMDB to fuck with us, but you never know...we haven't had a "serious" multiple Doctors story since "New Who" started, and it's possibly the only "big" story left.

Non-spoiler talk - I feel like an idiot, but I've only just realised that, what with the Doctor and Ganger Doctor swapping places, doesn't that mean that Amy told the Doctor about his own death?

I didn't think of that either until now. I am working under the...

...assumption that it was Ganger Doctor that was killed not The Doctor.

That's what I was assuming from the start of The Rebel Flesh, but didn't we see Ganger Doctor get destroyed in the end?

I think it's all going to hinge on whatever he whispered to River Song in the first episode. Amy having told the Doctor that she saw him die...I think he already knew she'd seen it, and the twist is something altogether different.

We didn't see an on screen destruction of the gangers if I recall, but they probably were destroyed, I guess the powers of deus ex machina could have him not killed.

I still don't think we saw the actual Doctor die. I'm not even going to bother trying to think how. Aside from Amy being pregnant which I caught right from the earliest mentions in episode one. I have been awful at predicting this show. Which is a good thing really.

On a side note, I really want to watch some classic Doctor Who, since as I was saying on Twitter the other day, the furthers back I've gone recently has been the TV Movie (I have seen earlier episodes but it's been an awful long time since I have). I regret not buying the Five Doctors and the Three Doctors when I had the chance. I really want to see those. Any other recommendations would be nice also.

Recommendations?

Well, I can't think of any First Doctors stories I'd recommend offhand. Its been too long since I've seen any. Definitely need to see An Unearthly Child, though, as it was the very first episode of Doctor Who.

Most of the Second Doctor episodes were taped over/destroyed.

I'm listing my recommendations in chronlogical order, as I'm getting them from my copy of The Discontinuity Guide. The ones I recommend most I've bolded....and Genesis of the Daleks isn't just a recommendation; its THE one classic story that everyone needs to see, as its one of the best Doctor Who stories, period.

Third Doctor: Spearhead From Space, Terror of the Autons, The Claws of Axos, The Daemons, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Spiders.

Fourth: Robot, Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, The Brain of Morbius, The Hand of Fear, The Face of Evil, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Image of the Fendahl (an actual Doctor Who horror story, more or less), Destiny of the Daleks, State of Decay (vampires!), The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis.

Fifth: Castrovalva, The Visitation, Time-Flight, Ark of Infinity, Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, Enlightenment, Frontios, The Caves of Androzani.

Avoid Twin Dilemma, which is actually the first Sixth Doctor solo story (The Doctor regenerates at the end of Caves of Androzani, but Twin Dilemma which came after it was the last story of the season instead of the first story of the next season), because its not good at all.

Sixth: The Mark of the Rani, Timelash, Revelation of the Daleks.

Seventh: Time and the Rani, Silver Nemesis, Battlefield, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric, Survival (series finale). And avoid Paradise Towers like the plague! Can't stress that enough, as it not only has Mel (worst companion ever, played by Bonnie Langford) in it, but the story is boring as hell. Even the MST3K crew wouldn't have been able to help.

If you're a heavy drinker, smoke pot or do any other type of drugs, add The Happiness Patrol to the Seventh Doctor list. Its one you don't want to see while clean and sober. The villain has to be seen to be believed....

Colin Baker, the Sixth Doctor, was the Doctor at a bad time because of all the problems the BBC was going through then, and his character never really got to develop properly. He's hands down the worst dressed Doctor, but in my opinion the Seventh Doctor is the worst Doctor (yes, I even prefer Paul McGann to him). I've heard nothing but good things about the Big Finish audio adventures that Colin Baker has done, because he got to develop the Sixth Doctor's personality better.

Edited by GhostMachine

Spearhead from Space, The Silurians (both Pertwee), City of Death, Talons of Weng Chiang (both Tom Baker) and Caves of Androzaani (Davidson) are the ones I would HIGHLY recommend. Then there are plenty of very good ones I can throw a mention at if those are to your taste. Weng Chiang in particular, is essential.

Most of the Second Doctor episodes were taped over/destroyed.

There are still some good stories, Mind Robber, War Games and Tomb of the Cybermen are all essential viewing.

If you can be bothered to hunt down the audio or even find the recons floating about online (Tardis Media, Matrix Archive & johnnyfanboy) have a look out for The Highlanders, The Macra Terror, Evil of the Daleks, The Web of Fear and Fury from the Deep.

If you want to look for some missing Hartnell stories I would recommend Marco Polo, The Dalek Master Plan and The Celestial Toymaker.

As for surviving Hartnell stories you cant go wrong with Uneathly Child, The Mutants/The Daleks, The Aztecs, Dalek Invasion Earth and The Romans.

And even though not canon the two Dalek movies are a good variant on the originals.

I don't like the implication that Paul McGann was a bad Doctor. He had a shit story, but he was perfect for the role, it's a tragedy he didn't get a proper run.

Genesis Of The Daleks, Pyramids Of Mars, Keeper Of Traken/Castrovalva/Logopolis and Robot are all brilliant - Baker is still probably my favourite Doctor (though Smith is sneaking up), I just think the writing for most of these stories was superb. Terror Of The Autons is another classic. Out of what I've seen, most of GhostMachine's recommendations seem spot-on.

My sister is a huge fan of the first Doctor, though I've not seen much myself - been meaning to ask her for ideas of where to start with that.

I'm still undecided on the Dalek movies - they can be a bit silly, and obviously they play around with canon and whatnot, but I like Peter Cushing as the Doctor - interestingly, Cushing considered the films to be canon, but based in an alternate timeline in which The Celestial Toymaker had essentially caused the Doctor to forget his past and believe himself to be human. No one else agrees with him, but it's nice of him to put in the time to think about it >_>

As for Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy - Baker was worse, in my opinion. McCoy was terrible, but he was memorable. Colin Baker is just the most forgettable Doctor there is. Actually, Sylvester McCoy was fantastic in the movie - he gave the role a little dignity at first, and then went out in a genuinely surprising - if unintentionally hilarious - fashion in a classy move that he didn't have to do. And the way he played the Doctor throughout his run was quite a good twist - he was a more vindictive, manipulative and altogether darker version of the same character than what we're used to, but unfortunately the series was up shit creek by that point, and was pretty much beyond saving for a long time.

Holy crap. There was a rumour going around that we'd get a multiple Doctor episode this year, but it was suggesting McGann - is there any more evidence around to suggest a Tennant/Davidson appearance, then? For now I'm leaning more towards this being somebody editing IMDB to fuck with us, but you never know...we haven't had a "serious" multiple Doctors story since "New Who" started, and it's possibly the only "big" story left.

Non-spoiler talk - I feel like an idiot, but I've only just realised that, what with the Doctor and Ganger Doctor swapping places, doesn't that mean that Amy told the Doctor about his own death?

If true, it would explain why River recognised the tenth Doctor as one of 'her' Doctors. That always irked me.

If you're a heavy drinker, smoke pot or do any other type of drugs, add The Happiness Patrol to the Seventh Doctor list. Its one you don't want to see while clean and sober. The villain has to be seen to be believed....

I'm curious now, is it the liquorice allsort beast occasionally seen in 'bad Doctor Who monsters' montages?

Thanks for the recommendations, guys, I'll see what I can get my hands on.

I don't like the implication that Paul McGann was a bad Doctor. He had a shit story, but he was perfect for the role, it's a tragedy he didn't get a proper run.

I'd agree, McGann fit his role. I like the TV movie. It's got some problems, but McGann isn't one of them.

I'm curious now, is it the liquorice allsort beast occasionally seen in 'bad Doctor Who monsters' montages?

Here it is....

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kandyman

I actually really enjoyed Colin Baker's run, and the Trial of a Time Lord arc was pretty swish imo.

As for out and out recommendations: Talons of Weng-Chiang is simply amazing. Tom Baker playing The Doctor... as Sherlock Holmes in Victorian London.

Best of the rest: Caves of Androzani, The Silurians, The Sea Devils, Robot and Genesis of the Daleks all stand out from the pack. I'd probably throw in State of Decay, Inferno, Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva too.

To be honest, most Pertwee and Tom Baker stories are worth picking up for the Docs themselves (even on the 'poor' stories, they are usually good enough to make it interesting). Most Davidson is pretty solid too.

Wow, hella stoked for the next episode now. Question though. In the Prequel from the BBCDW site, the big blue guy; isn't he the same one from the hospital in New New New New (whatever) York? Or do they just look similar?

Also, I assume the iMDB thing was a wind-up, as I can't see anything 'revelatory' on there now, unless I'm missing the obvious?

Possible spoilers, related to the IMDB thing -

Tennant and Davison were both listed among the cast for that episode.

As for the big blue guy, River bought her bootleg timey-wimey stuff off him around the Pandorica episode.

The Blue Meanie ( :shifty: ) was the guy who sold River the time machine thingy in the first part of the finale last season. Can't say I remember if he was in that episode.

Also, my thoughts on the situation which I will put in spoilers just in case I am right and/or anyone is trying their best to avoid the hype

I think Amy got switched during the three months they were running all over America. The Doctor seemed to think something was up when he put the chip into her hand on the Tardis judging by his reaction and his seemingly bizarre action not to look for the little girl straight away. Had he done so, he may have tipped off Amy's kipnappers too early he knew about the switch and he needed to know a bit more about the Amy ganger was.

However, I think it's possible if unlikely Amy was switched at the picnic just before the Doctor was killed. We see Amy see a Silence there which may prove more than a taster of what's to come. And I am not convinced the Silence are out and out evil.