Doctor Who

Benji

Finally watched Asylum of the Daleks on On Demand.

Thoughts:

I saw Harvey or whatever his name was being a coverted coming a mile away, but didn't figure out Oswin was a Dalek at all. My thinking was that she wasn't human but maybe a sentient computer program (part of the crashed ship or a Dalek security system gone wrong) that saw itself as human, NOT a Dalek.

The Daleks not remembering the Doctor will be interesting for a while, but....what happens when Davros inevitably shows up again with his Daleks? Will they use it as some way for all of the Daleks to have their memories restored?

I know Jenna-Louise Coleman's character as a companion is supposed to be named Clara, but now I'm wondering if there's going to be a swerve and it will actually be Oswin from an earlier time. Or maybe Oswin's twin sister, or (God, I hope not) a clone?

Trying to remember if this was actually the first time the Doctor has actively (sort of) killed Daleks or not.

Next episode looks intriguing, but I'm hoping we don't see River Song pop up any time soon.

Edited by GhostMachine

On GhostMachine's Dalek question (possibly contains a classic spoiler if I'm remembering it rightly:

Doesn't he blow up Skaro at the end of Rememberance of the Daleks? Been a while since I've seen it. I might watch it again at some point, I seem to remember it being fantastic.

Edited by Vamp

On GhostMachine's Dalek question (possibly contains a classic spoiler if I'm remembering it rightly:

Doesn't he blow up Skaro at the end of Rememberance of the Daleks? Been a while since I've seen it. I might watch it again at some point, I seem to remember it being fantastic.

Ye the Seventh Doctor uses the Hand of Omega to destroy Skaro in Rememberance. I guess it was brought back after the Big Bang 2 at the end of Matt Smith's 1st series or something

I was just linked to an article that was all about Moffat being the worst person in the world and how Dr. Who is the most misogynistic thing ever.

Why the fuck do people have to find reasons to hate everything?

To be fair the complaints regarding Moffat and the way he writes women mainly came about when he wrote Irene Adler, a character who's whole purpose is that she's better than Sherlock Holmes, and in his adaptation she gets rescued by Sherlock Holmes in a very shoddy conclusion. And the complaints were entirely justified. I think that's what resulted in people looking closer at Moffat's writing of women. I think the main problem is that Moffat's strength isn't in characterisation anyway. To some extent the new companion's first episode, if that does end up being the same character, seemed at an attempt to address those complaints by having her be able to do things the Doctor cannot. Unfortunately the writing, and the way it was delivered, made her sound exactly like River Song, which doesn't help Moffat much.

I've seen really misogynistic films, and no Moffat's writing isn't as bad as them, but I wouldn't say that there's no reason behind the complaints nor that looking into the matter further isn't worthwhile. At the end of the day he's one of the most prominent writers in the country right now, and he's the head writer for an incredibly popular family show, if people do feel there's something iffy about his writing when it comes to the portrayal of female characters (and there undoubtedly is in Irene Adler) then it's something that needs to be looked at and, if needs be, he should to be called on it.

Ye the Seventh Doctor uses the Hand of Omega to destroy Skaro in Rememberance. I guess it was brought back after the Big Bang 2 at the end of Matt Smith's 1st series or something

Then the writers of the 1996 movie just said `screw it' regarding continuity, because the Master was tried and executed on Skaro.

I have seen very little of the Seventh Doctor, and regard `Paradise Towers' as possibly the worst DW story ever, though `Love & Monsters' is right up there. `Rememberance of the Daleks' is one of the stories I have not seen.

I don't think this needs to be kept to spoilers...

I have seen very little of the Seventh Doctor, and regard `Paradise Towers' as possibly the worst DW story ever, though `Love & Monsters' is right up there. `Rememberance of the Daleks' is one of the stories I have not seen.

Remembrance is really good fun, well worth a watch. The Happiness Patrol is also worth a watch, it has one of the worst monsters in the series but it's also interesting in how it wears its politics on its sleeves.

In 'The Impossible Astronaut' near the start, The Doctor and River are synchronising their diaries together (Amy explains to Rory that since both are time travellers their shared experiences don't happen to them in the same order) and one of the events The Doctor mentions is asking if they've been to see Jeff the Fish recently.

Later in the episode, River asks a younger version of The Doctor about Jeff the Fish and the younger Doctor has no idea what she's talking about.

That was a fantastic episode.

Amy wanting to high five a Queen.

The Doctor's monkey joke that received no applause.

The Doctor being so excited about having a Christmas list.

Brian automatically being a Pond just for being associated with Amy.

Mr. Manners arguing with the robots.

And being able to pinpoint the moment The Doctor's heart breaks at the end when Brian is enjoying a lunch while overlooking the Earth :(

Really fun episode. Dinosaurs on a spaceship. Really nothing else to expect.