The Console Wars - The Debate

apsham

It's probably been debated about a thousand times over, but i'd like to do it again. In here make cases for\against the three major consoles, i'll start us off.

----------------

Microsoft's X-Box (X-BOX)

I'll start out with the console that i've played the least, and i'm glad about it. I don't own one myself, but have had many chances to play one, and i'm not impressed at all. I'm very aware of the advanced graphics capabilities, as well as the advanced everything on it over the competition, but I think that all those bells and whistles are overrated if the games aren't good.

For one thing, I don't see as much selection with the X-Box as I do with the other systems, this could be just because I don't actually own the system, but whenever i'm in a video game section, the Box always seems to have less of a selection. As far as I see it, here are my Pro's and Con's

PROS

- Halo, and soon Halo II.

- It's the system with the most advanced hardware.

- Plays DVDs, which is a big bonus

CONS

- The controller, as well as the controls.

- Bad game selection

- You have to pay for X-Box Live

- The size of the friggin' thing

My ending place for the X-Box is a third place.

------------------------

Nintendo's Gamecube (GCN)

This one, I own. It was my first of all the first generation systems, and I bought it at first for only one reason. Super Smash Brothers Melee. The Gamecube has been an up-and-down ride for me ever since then, it's given me a lot of gameplay, but i'm not really sure if it's worth it.

Nintendo has the credit of being the first company to ever really get me hooked on anything (the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) was worse that anything else I could've got hooked on) But I think they're losing their standing in the gaming world.

The Gamecube itself is amazing, mainly in size of the console itself and the size of the discs. It's a technical wonder, however that also makes it hard to find the discs when you want them. The controller is decent too, and very durable as is with all Nintendo products.

The games themselves are.... not what I hoped. All of them are cartoony.... even if it's a conversion. The graphics on the Gamecube are in no way bad, but there's just no way that they can match up to what's on the PS2 or X-Box, but that's ok, some people like it like that, i'm not one of them however (for the most part). Many of them are also set on multi-player-ness, something that i'm not that big on either, unless it's something that can be done in one sitting (ex. Mario Party)

PROS:

- Unique titles, that are Gamecube only.

- Unique, fresh design.

- Can make very well defined, nostalgic games.

- Has frickin' Harvest Moon in a great form.

- System and controller durable.

CONS:

- Too cartoony for some peoples tastes.

- Not as much power as the other two.

- Many games are worth less without multi-player.

- Small discs can be easily lost and\pr destroyed.

- Can't play DVD's :(

To me, the Gamecube will always be second place.

-------------------------

Sony's Playstation 2

Stand back, as you may think that this review is biased, and it may be a little, but it's just what I think. I also own this console, obviously, and at first this time, it was for the Grand Theft Auto series which I followed on my computer, but when it broke into full-3d, I just needed a PS2. And the system has continued tobe faithful to me.

It's impossible for anything to compete with the Playstation 2. Seriously. I'm speechless in what to write for it, and if you've ever played one, then you'll know what I mean. I mean, where to start?

Perhaps with the hardware. The system itself is very well designed and good looking, especially in black, and the controllers in my opinion are flawless, and very durable as long as you treat them correctly (READ: Don't drop them in water)

Ah, and now the games... the games, where do you start? Well, the Playstation 2 is the premier console on which to play all the great series of games which are contained in it's massive library. While these games may be on other consoles, the controls, controllers and overall feel of the system make it a much more enjoyable experience. Series such as Metal Gear, the Hitman series, the Final Fantasy series, the Gran Turisimo series, the Smackdown! series. There's something for everyone, and the PS2 is very willing to share.

PROS:

- Very nice looking, feeling console.

- Durable, like the GCN.

- Vast game selection.

- DVD capabilities.

- Has many great series of games.

- Online play is fun and addictive

CONS

As you can probably tell by now, the Playstation 2 is, in my mind, the dominant console.

Now, what do you think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it´s flameware time

i say screew the system, play what you want, what you like ect.

i love RPGs so i am screewed with every other console than PS2/PSX as long as i don´t reach back to SNES.

i never had anny disc read errors with PS2 paul :/ honestly never.

Edited by Michael Matzat

PS2 has really bad disc read errors amoung other things

Im happy with my X-Box. IT has a limited libary of game but they do have some really good quality ones. Although you have to pay for on-line the member on X-Box Live most of them are really friendly and helpful.

The only console I have a problem with is X-Box.

Goit has enough money, just fuck off and die.

Anyways, I own a NES,SNES,PSOne,Gameboy,Gameboy Color,Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Original,PS2,Dreamcast,N64 & Gamecube.

So apart from X-Box i'm fine. As a sidenote there is an x-box emotiocn in msn messenger 6 onwards.

(xx) I think it is.

I own a PS2 and an X-Box, whilst my brother has a GC. I play my two pretty regularly, and the GC every now-and-again. Out of the 3, the X-Box is by far the best. People bang on about its size but, really, how often are you going to be transporting it? The controller is big, but there's a smaller version out for half the past, so no real argument there. The games may have a smaller selection, but most of them are a lot higher quality than PS2 - purely because its got higher capabilities.

Ah, and now the games... the games, where do you start? Well, the Playstation 2 is the premier console on which to play all the great series of games which are contained in it's massive library. While these games may be on other consoles, the controls, controllers and overall feel of the system make it a much more enjoyable experience. Series such as Metal Gear, the Hitman series, the Final Fantasy series, the Gran Turisimo series, the Smackdown! series. There's something for everyone, and the PS2 is very willing to share.

A majority of the top PS2 titles will transfer over to X-Box by the end of 2005, when the game contracts for Sony run out. Its extremely naive to say 'PS2 has better games because its the better console'. Wrong, it has the better cames because it cornered the market with the Playstation. Had the current incarnation of PS been the first, then I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the top titles would have gone to X-Box.

Like I said, I own (and paid) for both, so that's a pretty objective view, in my opinion.

1. X-Box

2. PS2

3. Gamecube

Guest Sean O'Haire

X-Box has the better graphics hands down, obviously. But what I like about the XBox most is the hard drive. You can store thousands of saves and put in your own songs, so the annoying ones on games aren't a hassle.

On the reverse side, the machine is too big. I feel like I am lifting weights when I pick the thing up. Also, the controllers are bulky and the button layout sucks.

PS2 has so many great games, that it is hard to choose just one. GTA will be going to XBox soon, but PS2 will still have so many other games that it doesn't matter. They also do not charge for online play, which is a biggy for me. The controller layout is damn near perfect in every way, and they are an adequate size.

However, the graphics just don't compare to the XBox. If I want Eye candy, I choose the Box. Want better overall gaming, I take the PS2. But what do I know, I own both systems.

The games may have a smaller selection, but most of them are a lot higher quality than PS2 - purely because its got higher capabilities.

Thats just wrong, qualety dos not lie in the chipset, it lies in the qualety of the games, game qualety is not defined by it´s grafiks, grafiks only can pull it down, but still good grafiks don´t need no quadrubble mega chipset, good grafiks need good designers, wich brings us back to the game development.

Good Hardware dos NOT creat good games, good developers do. (if i would want to drag this into a flame war i could call you a tech whore now after that utterly stupid reason you gave)

A majority of the top PS2 titles will transfer over to X-Box by the end of 2005, when the game contracts for Sony run out.

Interesting, tell me more, for my gaming needs, everything that still is developt in Japan comes for PS2 (RPG´s, KoC and WE7 basicly fill all my gaming needs, all thes games ore gneres are Japanes Gneres, X-Box is dead in Japan so they wont change to that system becaus it kills posible buyers (look at square enix, they start developing multy platform games, for GC and PS2, not for x-box only, heck not even for x-box)

Its extremely naive to say 'PS2 has better games because its the better console'.

I am sorry, but why is some bundel of expensife high tech chips better than something I PERSONALY can have fun with ?

I mean if i have the decision to make, X-Box ore food and whater, you would pop up and tell me that x-box is the better thing to chose becaus it has more CPU power than the bread ? Still i will strave...

Something is good wen it is worth the monney for YOU, the production coasts alone don´t make a good console, with no software i can enjoy that thing might be able to launch rockets if i modify it the right way and i would not give crap about it, WTF would i do with a rocket launch station ? I want to play friggin RPGs...

I've always had the PS2 on the top of the list but for a long time XBOX was number 2. I didn't like Gamecube because of the cartoony kid crap. Then for Christmas my sister got a Gamecube. Of course I was reluctant with it but it has quickly shown the XBOX the curve for the number 2 spot. The PS2 and Gamecube both have exclusive games that make the XBOX eat shit. Fuck that over-rated piece of shit called Halo, Project Gotham is the only worthwhile permantly exclusive XBOX game. Ninja Gaiden might be too but I've never played it.

So it goes:

1. PS2

2. Gamecube (everybody that hates it hasn't played it)

3. XBOX

PS2 does everything I want in a console. It's backwards compatible, plays DVDs, looks cool, has a decen t image, decent adverts, is aimed at 20-30 year olds (which I'm in), has an amazing range of games, not relying on one game for a number of years (like Halo), has Dance Mat games, Light Gun games, Eye Toy (greatest software ever), Karioke microphone games and also very grown up games.

In my opinion as a 23 year old who enjoys a good game of Pro Evo 3 with mates, a good bit of Metal Gear Solid and some EyeToy action...It can ONLY be the PS2. Sony make the best consoles full stop.

If you want the strongest, most powerful system, go Xbox. If you want the greatest selection of games, go PS2. If you want nostalgia, go GCN.

Personally, I prefer the GCN, but I'm a harcore Nintendo fan, so I'm biased. I like PS2 as well. Fuck Xbox, I'd take an SNES over it anyday. I :wub: old school gaming.

Thats just wrong, qualety dos not lie in the chipset, it lies in the qualety of the games, game qualety is not defined by it´s grafiks, grafiks only can pull it down, but still good grafiks don´t need no quadrubble mega chipset, good grafiks need good designers, wich brings us back to the game development.

Good Hardware dos NOT creat good games, good developers do. (if i would want to drag this into a flame war i could call you a tech whore now after that utterly stupid reason you gave)

But there's only so far the developers can go on the system. The better the hardware, the better the possibilities. Oh, and please explain how I'm a tech-whore, which you clearly implied that I am, despite trying to cover it up. To me, a tech-whore would be someone who lives, breathes and sleeps everything technological - something which I certainly do not do.

Interesting, tell me more, for my gaming needs, everything that still is developt in Japan comes for PS2 (RPG´s, KoC and WE7 basicly fill all my gaming needs, all thes games ore gneres are Japanes Gneres, X-Box is dead in Japan so they wont change to that system becaus it kills posible buyers (look at square enix, they start developing multy platform games, for GC and PS2, not for x-box only, heck not even for x-box)

Like I said, the Playstation cornered the market for Sony, and the GC is an extension of the Nintendo franchise (which, to my knowledge, is huge in Japan). Its extremely ignorant to say that the X-Box isn't as good because its Microsoft's first console. If the playing field was level (i.e. No company had released a console before) then people would be turning to the X-Box.

Something is good wen it is worth the monney for YOU, the production coasts alone don´t make a good console, with no software i can enjoy that thing might be able to launch rockets if i modify it the right way and i would not give crap about it, WTF would i do with a rocket launch station ? I want to play friggin RPGs...

Which have more potential on the X-Box than the PS2.

Face it, the X-Box is more capable than the PS2 and GC. The developers of the games just haven't begun to realize the potential of the system yet, nevermind the mass public.

Guest rinkle

X-Box and Playstation 2 are about tied now. However, Playstation is really starting to decline. There is a major difference in MVP Baseball 2004 playing with both Playstation 2 and X-Box. The hard-drive is great for X-Box.

I really don't think that Gamecube is anywhere near as good as the other 2

But there's only so far the developers can go on the system.  The better the hardware, the better the possibilities.

Yes, thats why pixelart is so in today, i need my 60 frames per secong 5D grafiks... GOOD LOOKS DO NOT - i repeat NOT lie in the amount of mhz you need to have. Every Poster is simplest 2D art, yet our walls arrent coverd by TFT Screens filled with 3D art.

I don´t think you will get this sinc you relie on the technic stanpoint way to much, thats what is a tech whore by the way, reling on OMFG it needs 3247GHz it must be better. Good desing dossent need high tech, i´ed put secret of mana´s design over several games from every console around today, it dos not get bad looking becaus it´s techniq is outdated, get that.

Its extremely ignorant to say that the X-Box isn't as good because its Microsoft's first console.

No one said that....

If the playing field was level (i.e. No company had released a console before) then people would be turning to the X-Box.

Which have more potential on the X-Box than the PS2.

OMFG, a console that was released years later has the newer Technic in it, OMFG, OMFG, OMFG - SENSATION, SENSATION, SENSATION !!!!

ever tried thinking ? do you honestly think that technic whyse there would be such a differenc betwen thes consoles if they have come out on the same day ?! I mean THINK, you just pull things as you need them and compleedly ignore that there are several YEARS of development you just pull from the table. . . THINK.

Face it, the X-Box is more capable than the PS2 and GC.

to bad no one devlops annything for it

The developers of the games just haven't begun to realize the potential of the system yet,

to bad no one would buy the games I want for x-box becaus that thing just issent selling in Japan were almost all (if not all) the games i play come from

nevermind the mass public.

to bad that if the mass public dossent buy it it wont get the developers becaus they want to keep making monney.

Guest The Man They Call Puke

I have played all 3, and i own PS2, and i believe PS2 is the best system out right now, hands down. I usually only play sports games, and playing them on PS2 is better than playing them on xbox.

In my opinion as a 23 year old who enjoys a good game of Pro Evo 3 with mates, a good bit of Metal Gear Solid and some EyeToy action...It can ONLY be the PS2. Sony make the best consoles full stop.

I think this is essentially why PS2 sells so massively well in the UK. I've had mine for nearly two years and the only game I bought was Pro Evo 3 (got Timesplitters 2 with the console), as well as borrowing some off my brother. But given Pro Evo, three mates, a few beers, and the prospect of more beer later on, the average UK 20 something is happy.

Gamecube:

I have had limited time with the gamecube, but what I had with it it was just ok. Some of the games are great but others are lacking. I have just 3 major problems with the GC. 1. It lacks 3rd party support. 2. I don't like the controller. 3. GET WITH THE TIMES NINTENDO, GO ONLINE!

Pros:

- Cheapest of the 3

- Nintendo's great 1st party games

Cons:

- Lacks a lot of the 3rd party support

- Online is pretty much non-existant

Games to get: Any Nintendo games, Viewtiful Joe

My Placing: 3rd

E3 2004 Placing: 2nd, it had a decent line-up

PS2:

PS2, what can I say. It has by far won this generation of consoles in sales. It has the best 3rd party support. On the surface that looks good but dig deeper to find some cracks in the PS2. First of all they have been known to be very easy to get DRE or other mess-ups. I, myself didn't get them yet with mine but that's because I take special care of mine because I know it is really breakable. Another thing I think it lacks is a real support for online. It may have the biggest collection of online games but all they have done is copy anything Microsoft does with it's online like the Headset for most games. The only other problem is that there is a lot of extras to the PS2. Like the Hard Drive for PS2 is around $100CDN where as for XBOX it's free. Same with the multitap/4-player support. Free on GC & XBOX but another 40 bucks CDN.

Pros:

- Best 3rd party support

- Biggest Online Game Library

Cons:

- Known to break down easily

- Sony's 1st party support is kind of lacking

- Lots of extra costs

Games to get: Grand Theft Auto series, Devil May Cry, Platformers,

Overall placing: 2nd

E3 Placing: 3rd, lots of interesting sequals but nothing innovative

XBOX:

It's my favourite console. I think it has the best value out of the 3 consoles. Not a bad price and comes with a lot. I really think Microsoft has the best online too. Sure it costs but all the games are stored on Microsoft servers which means there is very little difference in lag from games. It has a decent 1st party and a decent 3rd party support. It does have it's problems though. It is heavier then any other system(reason is hard drive) & the DVD Player is 40 bucks. Other then that I don't think you can go wrong with an XBOX

Pros:

- Best Online Support

- Good 1st & 3rd party support

- 95% of multi-console games are better on the XBOX

Cons:

- Heavy and big

- DVD player is 40 bucks

Games to get: Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars:KOTOR, Shenmue II etc.

Overall place: 1st

E3 Place: 1st

Overall no matter what system you get, they all have there ups and downs