Jimmy Fallon Gets Chosen As Host of "Late Night"

ROC

Maaaajor bump, but his first show's on right now. The monologue was pretty naff, but for now I'm willing to chalk it up to that being the first day on the job. Didn't like any of the gags either. DeNiro's on now as his first guest, and Fallon's not doing too bad as a host.

I don't know why anyone would expect a trainwreck out of Jimmy Fallon hosting a late night show. It was far more likely to just be dull than outright disastrous.

For his first night, he was pretty solid. The monologue wasn't much good aside from the great Microsoft Store joke and Slow Jamming the News, but then I didn't like Conan's monologues that much either, honestly. Fallon's still visibly awkward but he had some good ideas, Space Train was just gloriously stupid enough to be funny, and probably the best sign that he could have legs as a host is that he did a good job of reacting to the crowd (I loved his deadpan reaction to the crowd cracking up at the implication that just maybe Robert DeNiro never saw Taxi). And yeah, the Roots are just so awesome as the house band, as expected.

He needs more funny stuff to happen during those segments. Like have the guy from the Roots have one ridiculously short turn to make it offbeat, or have those segments lead to something.

He needs to also stop interrupting his guests.

Other than that I was a pretty big fan. Loved a lot of it. (Y)

I always thought Fallon came off a little stiff while doing the fake news on SNL, and was even stiffer last night; you'd think being in front of a live audience on SNL those years would have loosened him up. I attribute last night to first show nerves, though.

I plan on giving Jimmy Fallon a couple of weeks before I make a full judgement, but frankly I'm already planning on watching Craig Ferguson more; I watched him if Conan was a re-run or had guests on I couldn't stand.

I thought he did a great job for his first show. I think with the interrupting the guests thing, I guess could be attributed to the fact that on SNL he never really had to interview anyone properly like he has to now, so I expect that to be something that will come to him in time. He also had a tough interview in De Niro, and really, I've seen people do a lot worse than he did with him. His interview with Timberlake was heaps of fun. I expect his interview with Tina Fey will be lots of fun too.

Yea he's awkward but it's a natural kind of comedic awkward. I thought the first show was ok - but it's clear that he's been practicing for this his entire career.

Not sure how familiar you lot are with his SNL stuff, but when he did weekend update, he would do all of those 'late night talk show hosts' mannerisms (the pen throwing ala Letterman, Conan mannerisms)...

Plus that whole SNL crew is very close to Conan and the Late night slot (both literally re: studios being in such close proximity to each other, and relationship wise - as we know, Conan was an SNL writer).

I like Conan, it just sucks that he's going to be in Hollywood. Hope he doesn't change!

Fallon will be fine. Slow jammin is cool - but not original. Haven't watched his 2nd show yet. Say hallelujah for TIVO.

I missed the dance-off because I was watching the Desmond Tutu interview on Ferguson, but tonight's show was a vast improvement over the first two. The monologue was solid for the first time and all of the sketches I saw, even when the gimmicks were dumb in theory, turned out fine. And thusfar, Fallon's had a really good rapport with every guest he's had on and has been funny in that environment. He's still finding his voice (I'm guessing his schtick is going to probably end up being how thoroughly dweeby and awkward he really sort of is), but after a second night that made me think that things may get worse before they get better, this was a good rebound.