Jimmy Fallon Gets Chosen As Host of "Late Night"

ROC

Jimmy Fallon will be in O'Brien's chair

Inks deal with NBC for 'Late Night'

By Nellie Andreeva and Kimberly Nordyke

April 24, 2008

UPDATED 6:16 p.m PT April 24, 2008

After months of speculation, Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving into the 11:35 p.m. slot next year after "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno's retirement, which was announced in 2004.

NBC is expected to make the announcement May 12 during its upfront event in New York.

The deal gives Fallon and "Late Night" executive producer Lorne Michaels enough time to assemble a team and prepare for Fallon's takeover after O'Brien's departure, expected in January.

It is not clear whether "Late Night" with Fallon will stay at Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, but it is probable as O'Brien will be moving to the new "Tonight Show" home at Universal Studios' Stage One.

NBC declined comment Thursday.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he inked with NBC in early 2007.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition that also is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent, with ABC and Fox reportedly already circling the top-rated late-night host. Meanwhile, NBC Universal is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

For the second time, "Saturday Night Live" chief Michaels -- whose company Broadway Video co-produces "Late Night" with Universal Media Studios -- has gone with an "SNL" alum to front the late-night talker. In 1993, Michaels tapped former "SNL" writer O'Brien as the inaugural host.

Fallon has more onscreen experience, having co-starred on "SNL" and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He also toplined several features, including the comedies "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi."

Additionally, Fallon, repped by CAA and Management 360, served as a guest host for CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" in 2003.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...2675ba1e7ac5004

So yeah, of all the funnymen of the world, Jimmy Fallon is your new Late Night host. Ehh...

Dude. Carson Daly is at 1:30 and could have very well been their choice. How can you possibly not look at this as a bullet dodged?

I'll give it that at least Lorne Michaels picked someone who did something funny at some point.

Ugh. Maybe he won't suck, but its doubtful. Reeeeaaaally doubtful. Conan being earlier is good though, I hope that they keep everything relatively the same for Conan, I don't like Leno but Conan is usually funny.

Dude. Carson Daly is at 1:30 and could have very well been their choice. How can you possibly not look at this as a bullet dodged?

Exactly. Anyone but Carson Daly is an awesome pick.

I'll give it that at least Lorne Michaels picked someone who did something funny at some point.

Jimmy Fallon was funny?

Jimmy Fallon was funny?

Well, he was in a few of the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches, so indirectly he was involved with funny.

On the good... More Conan. Who was shat upon during his debut (and with just cause) but his opening sketch made him, as did Andy Richter and his interview with David Letterman.

Conan at 11:30 only works if they let him keep being Conan.

The bad... Jimmy Fallon. Who... good fuck... he's just a pistol-whipping short of being an slack-jawed retard.

The ugly... Jay Leno being courted? When the funniest skits are 'Headlines' and 'Jaywalking' none of which require Leno at all... then you're about as racy as white bread.

The good, bad and ugly... Carson Daly. (Good he's not being promoted; bad and ugly that he's still on the air and employed.)

Jimmy Fallon was funny?

Well, he was in a few of the Celebrity Jeopardy sketches, so indirectly he was involved with funny.

Honestly, he can be funny, it's just that his unfunny shit overshadows it. He's a good impressionist and has done some very good stuff, but the moment he sort of became the focus of/most popular cast member on SNL after Ferrell left it all went to hell, especially the string of skits with Horatio Sanz where they couldn't stop fucking laughing at the lame jokes.

I say that in defense of Fallon, who gets a lot of shit and rightly so, but has done good stuff before. And that being said, he probably wouldn't make even a top fifty list for people I'd like to see host a talk show, let alone be worthy of replacing Conan O'Brien.

I'm indifferent on Fallon. I don't like his movies, but when I see him interviewed, he tends to be alright.

I'm also unsure on Conan's move. I would think he's gonna have to tone the show down just to appeal to a broader, older audience. I guess we don't really know til it happens though.

And I don't mind Carson, I've always liked his interviews just because a lot of the time, he's friends with the guests, so you get different questions and whatnot than the standard.

At least I'll be able to watch Ferguson without worrying about missing Conan though. :)

Point well taken. Besides, Fallon might actually be good. Was everyone going ga-ga over Conan O'Brien when he was first announced?

Nobody knew who the hell Conan was. He wrote some shit, like the really funny Monorail episode of The Simpsons. That was the world's grasp of Conan before Late Night.

Jimmy Fallon is not funny. But at least it's not Carson Daly!