The Summer Transfer Thread

What with the other signings you've made, and assuming Bentley is nailed on, I can't see Lennon having much of a future.

I can't see that tbh.

Modric - LM

Dos Santos - CM

No other new RM

Most of our other Midfielders are still young and will mostly be rotated.

Actually Modric is an attacking central midfielder while Dos Santos is a versatile attacker that can play in the center or on either wing though I believe his main position at Barcelona was on the left.

Regardless, you don't spend £15m-odd on someone if he's just going to add depth to the squad, you buy him to start in your first team (yeah Bent cost loads and was a sub but the board are retarded and hopefully aren't doing the same again). I hope Ramos is just thinking of changing Lennon's position, though, he said a few weeks ago he had no plans to sell him so hopefully the Bentley move doesn't shove Lennon out. I can see us going with one main striker (be it Berbs, Bent or someone new) and having Modric playing just off of him. Then Dos Santos on the left, Lennon in the middle & Bentley on the right with Huddlestone or Zokora in CDM.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with the 1 upfront is that it would mean bringing someone new in.

As I can't see Berba doing too well in a lone striker role.

Saying that, if AD is right in his assumption of tactic changes, I'd agree, although would Swap Dos Santos and Modric.

I feel Modric is much more creative from the left, and Dos Santos can be a much more prominant AMC, thus more than making up for the lone striker, and therefore making Berba a viable option up to.

I'd love to see Lennon playing centre mid with a bigger, taller defensive mid alongside him. Bentley on the right has better crossing than Lennon but Lennon's got a better run and dribble on him.

Thing is, I like Jenas at the moment after the last season and he's a dwarf too. We've got a really short team with only Huddlestone with any height and while he's a decent enough player I wouldn't want to build a midfield around him.

Eagles signs for Burnley. :crying:

Where the hell did that come from :(

I thought every time I've seen him play and especially this pre-season he's looking really promising so surprised to see him go. Didn't realise he was 22 now mind. Just read on Sky about his transfer and it seems fair enough that he wants first team football so he had to leave his comfort zone at Utd but to me he looked as though he was on the verge of breaking into the first team squad.

I'll always remember him for his awesome (and only, I think?) goal against Everton at the end of last season.

As I can't see Berba doing too well in a lone striker role.

I remember Berbatov playing the lone striker role for us before, I think it was against Middlesbrough, and he was fantastic.

According to Sky Sports, Kaboul's agent has said he's going to reject Sunderland in favour of Portsmouth and as someone has already mentioned, Malbranque's having a medical for the Black Cats today.

Also interesting is that Andrei Arshavin's agent has said Spurs are in talks with Zenit but they want much more than we've offered thus far. Good news is, though, that he is Ramos' number one target and both he and Daniel Levy are apparently doing everything possible to get him to White Hart Lane. Plus, Arshavin's agent has said he has chosen Spurs as his preferred destination now due to our style of play and Juande Ramos being in charge. Now if we can keep hold of Berbatov, he and Arshavin would be a superb striker duo for us.

• Admin

That's always the thing that worries me. Big summer signing turns into massive flop. "Kevin Davies Syndrome" I call it. Or "Corrado Grabbi Syndrome". Or "Barry Ferguson Syndrome".

That's always the thing that worries me. Big summer signing turns into massive flop. "Kevin Davies Syndrome" I call it. Or "Corrado Grabbi Syndrome". Or "Barry Ferguson Syndrome".

At least Davies and Grabbi tried. Ferguson was perhaps the worst signing, mainly for the money and his completely unprofessional attitude, that I remember Rovers getting.

Ferguson got badly injured quite quickly then became captain, Hughes wanted to build the team around him and there were a few other EPL teams looking for him aswell before coming back to Rangers.

I wish David Murray would part with some cash and quickly bring in Steven Davis don't think I could bear McCulloch playing CM.

bwahahaha

Villa say Barry isn't going to Liverpool and he is staying put.

..hahaha

Did we? Last I saw O'Neill said he wants Liverpoor to hurry up and make a decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...lla/7533851.stm

Aye, just checked. Also made an official statement on the club site.

The Sun look a tad silly now.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/