Eddie George Heads to Dallas

Maxx

Ready For Eddie; Cowboys Sign RB

Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

July 23, 2004, 11:03 a.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys were prepared to enter training camp with only three healthy running backs, who had a total of 358 rushing yards.

Now the Cowboys can add more than 10,000 yards to that total, with the signing of Eddie George, an eight-year veteran who gives immediate experience and credibility to the position.

Now George certainly won't be the team's long-term answer, signing just a one-year deal, reportedly worth $2.2 million. The veteran back is expected to receive a $1.54 million bonus to report to training camp, along with his $660,000 minimum base salary.

And signing George doesn't diminish the Cowboys' faith in rookie Julius Jones, the second-round pick from Notre Dame. Jones will likely get plenty of opportunities to prove himself, only now the Cowboys have more of a fallback in George.

Before this signing, the Cowboys had just Aveion Cason and ReShard Lee to back up Jones, now that Erik Bickerstaff is out for the season after rupturing his Achilles last month.

George, who was released by the Tennessee Titans Wednesday for salary cap reasons, still thinks he has a few years left in the tank. And while that has yet to be determined, the Cowboys are in a position, both financially and from a roster need standpoint, to take a close look.

And why not take a chance on a running back who just surpassed the 10,000-yard rushing mark in just eight seasons?

George, who turns 31 Sept. 13, rejected the Titans' attempts to reduce his base salary to $1.5 million. George was willing to accept a reduced contract, but wanted at least $2.5 million in base and security beyond the 2004 season.

Quickly after releasing George, the Titans agreed to a one-year deal with free agent running back Antowain Smith, who helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl last season. Smith, a player the Cowboys were keeping an eye on, signed for just $660,000 with the Titans and is expected to compete for carries with both Chris Brown and third-down back Robert Holcombe.

George, who actually started his career in Texas when the Titans were the Houston Oilers, is the franchise's all-time leading rusher. He is also the only running back in NFL history to record more than 300 carries in each of his first eight seasons. While his foot has been a concern the past two years, George has never missed a game in his entire career.

The former Heisman Trophy winner (1995) out of Ohio State, George has earned four trips to the Pro Bowl, but none since 2000.

George averaged just 3.3 yards per carry last year, the second-lowest average of his career (3.0 yards in 2001). His longest rush from scrimmage was only 27 yards.

But despite his numbers being on the decline, the Cowboys, especially with Bill Parcells in charge, might be a good spot for George to land. Parcells has a history of squeezing life out of aging backs, as he did with Ottis Anderson, who joined the Giants when he turned 29 back in 1986. While Anderson was more of a role player for his first two years with the club, Anderson rushed for nearly 2,000 yards and had 33 rushing touchdowns in a three-year span, including 1,023 yards and a career-high 14 touchdowns in 1989 at the ripe age of 32.

Parcells also milked production out of Keith Byars with both the Patriots and Jets in the mid-1990's. Byars played two seasons in New England and then finished his career with the Jets at age 35. That season he caught 26 passes as a third-down back and scored three touchdowns.

And before the Cowboys signed George, don't forget Parcells was willing to let the 32-year-old Anderson get a few more carries.

So signing George makes sense for the Cowboys, who have plenty of salary-cap room available. Also, they have the need to add another back.

Especially one with more than 10,000 career rushing yards on his resume.

*dances*

He's still currently better than never was running core the Raiders have. Save maybe Tyrone...

As long as he doesn't have to do 30 carries a game, he should be a solid play.

haha i feel sorry for the titans, signing Smith is a mistake. He's washed up, and anyone thats watched Smith play recently knows thats true. His backup (in NE) got more yards than him with way less carries too. Thats just kinda pathetic.

He's there just in case Chris Brown can't handle all the carries.

There is no was Smith will beat out Brown for the starting role.

Guest wCw4life2

I'm glad that Eddie went to Dallas, which is my favorite team. I think that Eddie will be effective as long as they give him 25-30 carries a game. Because that seems to be when he helps teams win games. I'm sure the Big Tuna will give him close to that many carries as he likes to pound the ball and control the clock. I'd say Eddie has an 1100 yard year.

I like the Cowboys to win the NFC East this year, but George was still a bad idea. Julius Jones is the future!

And I'll take Ty Wheatley over Eddie right now, I like more then 3.3 yards a carry out of my back. But, you know, if having a worse back statistically then that guy who came here to be a backup, then, you know, its all good.

Name does not equal production.

Yes and because he has one off year, clearly thats all he'll now ever be able to accomplish.

He's going to be used as a compliment to Julius Jones most likely. He'll LOSE carries, as he's proven recently that he needs less of a work load, so 30 carries for him a game is probably not a good thing.

Syco is mad because the Raiders running core is has loads of wasted potential. Don't worry, they'll draft one next year.

Guest wCw4life2

I think that Eddie will do good running to the left with Adams and Allen blocking. I think his YPC will be alot higher this year. I think he will get at least 15 carries a game. Of course Julius Jones will get some carries to, but I think Parcells will make Jones do more watching than playing.

Yes and because he has one off year, clearly thats all he'll now ever be able to accomplish.

He's going to be used as a compliment to Julius Jones most likely.  He'll LOSE carries, as he's proven recently that he needs less of a work load, so 30 carries for him a game is probably not a good thing.

Syco is mad because the Raiders running core is has loads of wasted potential.  Don't worry, they'll draft one next year.

Dude, how is it 'wasted' potential. Wheatley is a servicable starting back, Famous Amos split carries with The Bus, and Fargas is a second year pro...

And thats not 'one bad year' he's been like that for the last two or three. He got ran out.

Its one thing to be optimistic about your team, its another to be stupid and prove you don't know shit about football.

and wcw, Larry Allen is shit now. He used to be the best guard in the game, now he's pretty crap.

Eddie George will be lucky to get 850 yards this season. Fag cost me quite a few games last season in the fantasy league. I won't wish an injury on him since I like him, but I wouldn't mind if he ran for -20 yards total against the Giants this season <_<

Being a Titans fan, I knew George lost himself after 2000. He's a good back, but he's only living off of his past seasons, and hasn't been really great since his 2000 year. I'll admit, when I saw George get up in one of the Ravens' faces at the Playoffs this year, I knew he still had the heart, but it all depends if he has the talent to improve off of his last few seasons. From what I've seen of Chris Brown, we have nothing to really worry about. Smith will probably get less carries than Brown, and the Tennessee offense relies on McNair's passing game anyway.

+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 1996 hou | 16 | 335 1368 4.1 8 | 23 182 7.9 0 |

| 1997 ten | 16 | 357 1399 3.9 6 | 7 44 6.3 1 |

| 1998 ten | 16 | 348 1294 3.7 5 | 37 310 8.4 1 |

| 1999 ten | 16 | 320 1304 4.1 9 | 47 458 9.7 4 |

| 2000 ten | 16 | 403 1509 3.7 14 | 50 453 9.1 2 |

| 2001 ten | 16 | 315 939 3.0 5 | 37 279 7.5 0 |

| 2002 ten | 16 | 343 1165 3.4 12 | 36 255 7.1 2 |

| 2003 ten | 16 | 312 1031 3.3 5 | 22 163 7.4 0 |

| TOTAL | 128 | 2733 10009 3.7 64 | 259 2144 8.3 10

In case anybody gives a shit, here is Eddie's career statistics. His Y/A have never been real impressive, but he's always managed to put up pretty good numbers. I'd say this year he'll dip below the 1000 yard mark, due to sharing time with Julius Jones. This is a good pick up for the Dallas Cowboys. A question though, has anybody picked up Troy Hambrick?

Guest wCw4life2

I know Larry Allen has been shit the pasy few years, but I think now that he lost some pounds he may be a pretty good guard this year. I mean if he isn't at least Parcells will take the fucker out.