Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

It wasn't a ten man Bolton for the first half.

We looked great going forward. Modric was actually played in his proper position, Bentley seemed interested and Huddlestone was mighty.

We'd already won when the penalty was given - it was the icing on the cake after a gutsy performance by a team severely lacking in confidence.

And I was just about to praise Villa too you cynical arse :shifty:

It wasn't a ten man Bolton for the first half.

We looked great going forward. Modric was actually played in his proper position, Bentley seemed interested and Huddlestone was mighty.

We'd already won when the penalty was given - it was the icing on the cake after a gutsy performance by a team severely lacking in confidence.

And I was just about to praise Villa too you cynical arse :shifty:

Oh, I know. & I know there was an improvement, but I 100% feel you'da won this game with Ramos in charge anyway. Hence my statement.

Glad to see that Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are starting to pull a few clear of the scum; Man Utd will drop very few points from Xmas -> April, so if the other 3 can put some breathing space between them before then I'll be muchly happy.

Edit: And Hull too, of course.

Edited by - Matt -

I think that United won't win it this season. I think they'll be close but with the World Club Championship (or whatever the fuck it's called) I think they're in trouble.

Oh and Fergie seems determined not to play Tevez and Rooney together even though they won the double last year <_< And is it me or does anyone else think Ronaldo & Berbatov seem to hate each other?

86 home league games and looks like it's coming to an end. Just a shame it's Liverpool who look like they'll beat them. Liverpool fans are horrible winners.

Which is funny coming from a Spurs fan, who are in general the most deluded in England.

I think that United won't win it this season. I think they'll be close but with the World Club Championship (or whatever the fuck it's called) I think they're in trouble.

Oh and Fergie seems determined not to play Tevez and Rooney together even though they won the double last year <_< And is it me or does anyone else think Ronaldo & Berbatov seem to hate each other?

You can pretty much guarantee that isn't going to get in the way of things all too much. During that I think we'll see, as Fergie would say, "a mixture of youth and experience." - United will send out Carling Cup-esque teams for that one would think.

SAF is known for making a mistake with something once, but he doesn't often do it twice, which is why he won't go all out for that this time around.

86 home league games and looks like it's coming to an end. Just a shame it's Liverpool who look like they'll beat them. Liverpool fans are horrible winners.

Which is funny coming from a Spurs fan, who are in general the most deluded in England.

Newcastle?

Edit: Actually fuck that, Huddersfield, who's fans maintain they are a big club that people care about because they won the division 1 title 3 times consecutively... back in 1926.

Edited by - Matt -

86 home league games and looks like it's coming to an end. Just a shame it's Liverpool who look like they'll beat them. Liverpool fans are horrible winners....I can foresee a sickening rendition of "You'll never walk alone" wafting across the away end of Stamford Bridge.

230px-Shankly_Gates.jpg

When you walk through a storm,

Hold your head up high,

And don’t be afraid of the dark,

At the end of the storm,

There’s a golden sky,

And the sweet silver song of the lark,

Walk on through the wind,

Walk on through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

Walk on, walk on,

With hope in your heart,

And you’ll never walk alone,

Walk on, walk on,

With hope in your heart,

You’ll never walk alone.

There you go Hammy, and Robbie makes a very nice cog by the way.

I'm seriously starting to think that third is a real possibility if Fergie doesn't begin to play Tevez. Not every game requires a big man upfront. We didn't have one last year and we did pretty good. The Celtic match just showed how eager Tevez is to impress and the effort he'll put in that we're not going to get from Berbatov and Ronaldo. I just hope SAF will pick him enough to convince him to stay beyond this season.

Tevez is great, but it's not been like he's been out for months on end. He's missed some games, simple because there hasn't always been room to fit him in right now. He's settled at the club IMO and I don't feel they could bring in Berbatov and just start resting him here and there, because they're trying to get his fitness to their level, make him into one of their stars and get the goals rolling. Same with Ronaldo, he's returned from injury, coming off of the Madrid rumors throughout the entire off season and needs to be playing to find his best form again. And Rooney, not an option when he's playing as pretty much the best player in the world right now IMO. Tevez is loved by the United fans after just one season and Ferguson clearly has a love for him too, but right now he cant play as many games as he would like. The guy can be a fantastic player and within time it'd be nice to see him starting games yet again, but it's a time to be patient and show you're worth it. Not to mention it's great knowing there's a world class player on the bench ready to come on to work his ass off, which can be crucial at times when United are struggling.

And I still think United will do the treble. Said the same last year, wasn't far off.

86 home league games and looks like it's coming to an end. Just a shame it's Liverpool who look like they'll beat them. Liverpool fans are horrible winners....I can foresee a sickening rendition of "You'll never walk alone" wafting across the away end of Stamford Bridge.

230px-Shankly_Gates.jpg

When you walk through a storm,

Hold your head up high,

And don’t be afraid of the dark,

At the end of the storm,

There’s a golden sky,

And the sweet silver song of the lark,

Walk on through the wind,

Walk on through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

Walk on, walk on,

With hope in your heart,

Walk on, walk on,

With hope in your heart,

You’ll never walk alone.

There you go Hammy, and Robbie makes a very nice cog by the way.

See, it IS very gay.

And while we may be, erm "deluded" as it was put, at least we're not horrible winners.

I see our Robbie's banging 'em in all the time for you.

Get the fuck in. Who the fuck are Chelsea? (H)

I thought Spurs would have beaten Bolton even if Ramos stays. I can still see them getting shat on in their next few matches. Fingers crossed.

Nah, I had my doubts that we'd win any Premier League game with Ramos really. I mean, eventually one would come along but games against Bolton are never easy because we like to play pretty football and Bolton like to kick people's shins.

You must be a genius to see us getting beat in the next few matches! Arsenal away, Liverpool, Man City, Liverpool again? That's easily 9 points and a place in the fifth round of the Carling Cup surely?!?! Seriously though, I'm not expecting much at all from the next four (a victory against Dinamo Zagreb would be nice, though) but if we can get 5-7 points from Everton, Blackburn and Fulham towards the end of the month I shall be a very happy chappy.

It's Bolton.

A ten men Bolton.

With a soft penalty given.

The real fight starts for Spurs soon.

Cunt Redknapp may do it, though.

Anyway.

Beating Steve Bruce is ALWAYS a pleasure. Zaki who?

When you've had the start to the season Spurs have had, you'd take a 1-0 win over Burton Albion. We're just glad we've finally got a W on the board.

And I believe it's just 'Zaki', no surname >_>

Get the fuck in. Who the fuck are Chelsea? (H)

I thought Spurs would have beaten Bolton even if Ramos stays. I can still see them getting shat on in their next few matches. Fingers crossed.

Nah, I had my doubts that we'd win any Premier League game with Ramos really. I mean, eventually one would come along but games against Bolton are never easy because we like to play pretty football and Bolton like to kick people's shins.

You must be a genius to see us getting beat in the next few matches! Arsenal away, Liverpool, Man City, Liverpool again? That's easily 9 points and a place in the fifth round of the Carling Cup surely?!?! Seriously though, I'm not expecting much at all from the next four (a victory against Dinamo Zagreb would be nice, though) but if we can get 5-7 points from Everton, Blackburn and Fulham towards the end of the month I shall be a very happy chappy.

It's Bolton.

A ten men Bolton.

With a soft penalty given.

The real fight starts for Spurs soon.

Cunt Redknapp may do it, though.

Anyway.

Beating Steve Bruce is ALWAYS a pleasure. Zaki who?

When you've had the start to the season Spurs have had, you'd take a 1-0 win over Burton Albion. We're just glad we've finally got a W on the board.

And I believe it's just 'Zaki', no surname >_>

It's Amr Zaki. And he's great.

Don't spoil my fun.

I just watched the extended Football First highlights of Spurs against Bolton and how anyone can say the Bent penalty was a soft one is beyond me. Jaaskelainen chases down the ball and clips Bent from behind in the penalty area, definite penalty. Yes, he tried to pull out of the challenge when he realised he couldn't get it but he did catch him and you don't avoid penalties just because you didn't mean to do it.

Defensively I thought Spurs were poor again, although it was awesome to see Ledley King play two games in a row (in three days no less). Assou-Ekotto again looks poor defending but has the ability to put some terrific crosses into the box. Maybe he should become a midfielder.

As for the attacking I thought it was pretty great at times, especially towards the end of the game when Aaron Lennon came on, reminded me of some of the stuff we were playing towards the end of 2007. Tom Huddlestone was fantastic, Jamie O'Hara was solid again and Luka Modric looked more comfortable in that more attacking position.

Gomes was terrible, though, maybe we should recall Ben Alnwick from his loan. Stupid flappy Brazilian.