Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I never understood why Newcastle fans(not just the ones living there but the ones worldwide like in Bangladesh for example)think of themselves as a quality side,they have a great stadium and fanbase but is that enough? They cry and moan about not being in the top 5! just thank your lucky stars you are playing Premiership Football.

I never understood why Newcastle fans(not just the ones living there but the ones worldwide like in Bangladesh for example)think of themselves as a quality side,they have a great stadium and fanbase but is that enough? They cry and moan about not being in the top 5! just thank your lucky stars you are playing Premiership Football.

For this season at least :pervert:

EDIT: Also this decision by Mike Ashley is AWFUL. Yeah Shearer will get the fans back on side and may buoy up the dressing room BUT he's not NO coaching credentials AT ALL. No managerial skills.

BBC are likening it to a masterstroke along the same likes as Trevor Brooking taking charge of West Ham and NEARLY saving them from relegation. :shifty:

That doesn't bode well. Shearer's taken it cos he's got nothing to lose.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

It might turn out to be a masterstroke, without a doubt he'll get the players charged up and Ian Dowie as his assistant will probably do most of the tactical work.

Definitely going to pay an attention to Newcastle matches now to see how this works out

It might turn out to be a masterstroke, without a doubt he'll get the players charged up and Ian Dowie as his assistant will probably do most of the tactical work.

Definitely going to pay an attention to Newcastle matches now to see how this works out

:lol:

I completly agree with this assesment. It annoys me so much that they think they're a good side and expect to be challenging for everything, when in actual fact they're a lower mid-table side and have been for much of the last several years.

And I really don't see what Shearer is going to do other than placate the fans for a while. It puzzles me as to why Alan Shearer would take the job now when he's refused twice before when Newcastle we're in a better position

If that's the case then they can say hello to the Championship right now! Trips to the Keepmoat and Bloomfield Road must sound pretty attractive for the Toon :lol:

And I really don't see what Shearer is going to do other than placate the fans for a while. It puzzles me as to why Alan Shearer would take the job now when he's refused twice before when Newcastle we're in a better position

He can't lose by taking it now. If he took over earlier in the season there's an expectation on him to avoid relegation (as well as probably getting them into the top half as well). Now though he either keeps them up and becomes an even bigger legend there, or they go down and everyone can say 'well, they were fucked when he took over anyway.'

I think Ashley just knows it's a better prospect to sell the club to someone when a younger man is in charge that everyone likes than an old guy who is close to keeling over if the situation turns ugly. Plus Chris Hughton, as nice a guy as he is, isn't exactly a great manager by any means.

I get the feeling if this turns out true, then Ashley is simply giving in to every demand Shearer is placing on him in order to set the club straight. As this news shall tell you:

Wise parts company with Newcastle

Newcastle executive director Dennis Wise has left his position at the club with Magpies legend Alan Shearer poised to take the reins at St James' Park.

The former Chelsea midfielder had been a controversial figure at the club since being appointed by owner Mike Ashley in January 2008.

A statement on the club website read: "We can confirm Dennis Wise has left his position as executive director.

"There are no plans to appoint a replacement in this role."

The statement added: "We'd like to take this opportunity to wish Dennis well for the future."

Shearer had criticised the management structure at the club and Wise's departure seems to clear the way for the former England captain, who is expected to be confirmed as manager on Thursday.

Wise stood down as Leeds boss to join Newcastle as part of Ashley's plans to overhaul the management of the club, with Tony Jimenez and Jeff Vetere also joining the hierarchy.

With a brief to focus on transfers, scouting and youth development, Wise's role brought him into conflict with former boss Kevin Keegan, and he became a focus for discontent among the fans in the wake of Keegan's departure in September 2008.

CREDIT BBC SPORT

The wrestling fan in me wanted them to say "we wish him luck in all his future endeavours" :shifty:

If Shearer is getting as much leeway in how the club will be run, then he's being given the dream ticket of having the biggest of says in the club he manages - that's the kind of job very few people turn down. So it would make sense for him to take the reigns. Plus, it would take nothing short of a Benoit-esque self-destruction for his reputation to slide in the eyes of Newcastle fans, I'm sure. If correct, it's a very shrewd move for Shearer.

And if it goes tits up, blame Ashley.

EDIT: It's being confirmed on the BBC.

Edited by Jumping On The BSIG Wagon

A classy penalty from Robbie Keane and Spurs go 1-0. They haven't lost a game after going ahead all season so hopefully that will continue.

It was funny to see the Blackburn reaction to the ball being RIGHT on the edge of the penalty spot, especially considering that they didn't mind it when their corners were being taken by Diouf clearly from outside of the corner quadrant which by the laws of the game is more illegal :P

Mokoena's elbow on Palacios was DISGUSTING. Evil, late, cynjical and malicious. Commentators are right, the FA will punish him retrospectively and he's very lucky to get away with it right now.

Booking for Samba for shoving Jenas to the floor and Blackburn are losing it mentally.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I'm eagerly anticipating the 3pm kickoffs and most importantly Newcastle/Chelsea.

On the one hand I want Chelsea to stuff them to keep the daft geordies where I work quiet and on the other hand I'd love a miracle (which is what it'd have to be) Newcastle win to knock Chelsea off the pace at the top and shut up my boss who's a Sunderland supporter.

So in closing, a draw would be brilliant.

Blackburn really play ugly football though. Shame Spurs always struggle against ugly football.

:angry:

Actually feel physically sick now. Blacburn should be down to ten men and Spurs should still have eleven. Lousy Sam Allardyce all happy and air punchy too. Ugh.

Edited by Father Dougal McHamster