Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I know that the POTY awards only have six nominations each, but Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill from Everton have both been different class this season and in my opinion shouldbe in instead of a few of the United players (VDS and Giggs).

Meh I think VDS "had" to go in because he was the keeper during that 14 game spell, but Giggs probably doesn't even come in the top 20 players this year. I think Ronaldo will win it again this year but I really don't think he deserves it, he's not been anywhere near as clinical in front of goal this year and his effort has been lacking in a few games I've seen him in, probably deserves to be nominated though.

Ferdinand's still slightly better than Vidic, it's just that Vidic was fit for more of the streak of clean sheets.

EDIT: I've been really impressed with Fellaini in every game I've seen him as well. Probably not top 6 in the country, admittedly, but you always get questions asked when there are baffling inclusions like Giggs.

Edited by -A-

Anyone else think that this constant cheering and chanting during the memorial service at Anfield is a bit... disrespectful for want of a better word? It's almost like a pop concert for Live Earth or something, I dunno, I just think that, especially since all the families are there, that this should be a little more downbeat.

For instance they've just been chanting "Rafa, Rafael, Rafa, Rafael, Rafa, Rafael, Rafael Benitez"... I mean really, is that necessary? I can accept the mass-singing of You'll Never Walk Alone but a lot of the other stuff has just irked me.

They were hardly cheering and chanting all the way through, most of it was polite clapping. The only two chants were the 'Justice for the 96' one aimed at Andy Burnham, and the Rafa one at the end, although the memorial service was well over by that time and some of the victims/family members were joining in as well.

Meh, I was only casually listening to it over the radio but it sounded like there was a huge round of applause every two minutes cutting the speakers off. It just seemed that after the prayers and the names being read out that it took on a more light-hearted approach.

I know that the POTY awards only have six nominations each, but Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill from Everton have both been different class this season and in my opinion shouldbe in instead of a few of the United players (VDS and Giggs).

Meh I think VDS "had" to go in because he was the keeper during that 14 game spell, but Giggs probably doesn't even come in the top 20 players this year. I think Ronaldo will win it again this year but I really don't think he deserves it, he's not been anywhere near as clinical in front of goal this year and his effort has been lacking in a few games I've seen him in, probably deserves to be nominated though.

If Ronaldo wins it I'll be in shock. He's been nowhere near the POTY if you ask me, so I cant ever see him winning it this year. I haven't seen the list but I'd more than likely say Vidic. Despite the last month or so of really poor form, the guy was part of the reason why we were close to unstoppable at points this season.

And Giggs being in there is fine with me. We usually see some shit inclusions in these things, I don't think that's one. He started the season around average, then just rocketed from there on. He's been almost as important as anyone for us this season and has put in some of his best performances this season in years upon years. I don't think he'll win it, but I don't see the problem with him being there.

Has anyone got the full list? Surely Torres will be a close runner as well, huge season for him.

Van der Sar and Giggs should not be in there at all, and thats coming from a Utd fan. Giggs just hasnt played enough to be in contention, and Van der Sar is in there for a record that was created by Rio, Vidic, and a midfield full of confidence who protected the backline. There are quite a few worthier people who missed out on that list, but thats what you get when the voting happens in Feb/March.