Tekken: The Movie

Bigal

I don't see why people give Mortal Kombat a free pass--as an adaptation of the game goes it wasn't bad, but it was... well, it was still pretty bad. Mortal Kombat Annihilation is the money movie with its meteor ninjas, Sub-Zero leaping out of the asshole of space and time and then disappearing five minutes later never to be heard from again, pressure plate floor traps that cause Baraka to swing down on a chain, wretched CGI dragon transformations, awesome Jax YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I'M THE BLACK GUY lines, and Jade beating Sindel off-camera while Raiden beats down on three random goons for ten minuts.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation sucked for three reasons:

1. They killed off Johnny Cage! Linden Ashby was the best actor in the whole damn movie, and he didn't get to do much before Cage got his neck snapped.

2. The re-casting of Raiden. I don't remember if Christopher Lambert was unavailable, unwilling to do it/wanted too much, or if they didn't even bother asking him. But they could have done a whole lot better than James Remar. Don't get me wrong, he's a good actor, but was all wrong for the part.

3. See #1.

The Mortal Combat movie also came when standards were so different than today. Popcorn action flicks were all the rage during the 90's and they came a dime a done in the same fashion. That formula ultimately got played out and caused the industry to up their standards to keep the viewers happy and willing to pay.

Naturally, we are going to want a higher quality movie 15 years later (for the original, 13 in regards to Annihilation). Also, most of the fans of that series are now a decade older so Mortal Combat is more than likely going to be a 'young age favorite'/childhood classic to us. We are more knowledgeable 10+ years later and while adaptations are going to still target the gaming audience, that demographics for the audience have progressed with the years as well.

What was being targeted at 17 and under is more widely accepted for 18-35 these days. I'd wager that 7/10 times if I'm channel surfing and Mortal Combat is on TBS randomly then I'm going to stop and watch it for a least a few minutes, but that is because when the movie came out I was killing it on SNES and at the time really didn't know better. Now, I've been playing Tekken since I was in elementary school and still do to this day. With that said, I'm almost 23 years old now, I'm not going to want to see what I already saw with Mortal Combat with such a large amount of aging between.