UEFA Champions League 08/09

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was pretty awesome. However, not one to lavish praise on teams I'm not entirely keen on (but more than willing to support for the good of the nation), I have a question:

Have Lucas and Ryan Babel, collectively, ever done anything useful, ever, at all, in their entire combined careers? They just seem to be the biggest freeloaders in football history. Liverpool played most of the second half with 9 men (Lucas counts as minus one, since he wasn't just invisible, but actively shit). That young English chap showed them both up, in his... what... second game?

Right, yeah. 'cause if Dirk Kuyt, who'd been running up and down all match, had just sprinted his balls off to get to a ball and pass it towards me, I'd totally stand there with my hands on my hips while two Madrid players jogged past me to intercept it.

If I was feeling REALLY up for the game, I might even make a pass of my own. Ya know, for posterity's sake, just to show I was earning my wages.

Right, yeah. 'cause if Dirk Kuyt, who'd been running up and down all match, had just sprinted his balls off to get to a ball and pass it towards me, I'd totally stand there with my hands on my hips while two Madrid players jogged past me to intercept it.

If I was feeling REALLY up for the game, I might even make a pass of my own. Ya know, for posterity's sake, just to show I was earning my wages.

It's amazing how dead set people are against Lucas, seemingly because he's committed the crime of being Brazilian but not being able to do super cool awesome tricks like Ronaldinho. He came on and did what he was supposed to do - sat in front of the back four, broke up play, won headers, and kept things ticking over when he got it. You must have missed the one touch, first time pass he made that set Kuyt free in acres of space on the right flank. Not really surprising though.

And if that Kuyt pass was the one I'm thinking of, it was a poor pass. It was further away from Lucas than it should have been and in the wrong direction, so he was on the back foot.

It's amazing how dead set people are against Lucas, seemingly because he's committed the crime of being Brazilian but not being able to do super cool awesome tricks like Ronaldinho. He came on and did what he was supposed to do - sat in front of the back four, broke up play, won headers, and kept things ticking over when he got it. You must have missed the one touch, first time pass he made that set Kuyt free in acres of space on the right flank. Not really surprising though.

And if that Kuyt pass was the one I'm thinking of, it was a poor pass. It was further away from Lucas than it should have been and in the wrong direction, so he was on the back foot.

I saw Lucas a little bit at the Olympics and wasn't that impressed. He just doesn't seem to be anything special, in any way, and he's been played because he 'has potential'.

Oh, and he's a dirty sod too.

I saw Lucas a little bit at the Olympics and wasn't that impressed. He just doesn't seem to be anything special, in any way, and he's been played because he 'has potential'.

He does have potential. His problem is when he comes in he's replacing either Alonso, Gerrard or Mascherano, who are three of the best players in the world at what they do. Then he's expected to morph into one of them even though what he's actually good at (constantly passing and moving, ghosting into the box) is completely different to all of them.

RE: Lucas, he gets a lot of stick because he's compared to Masch, Alonso and Gerrard and he's Brazilian and thus expected to be world class. He's not brilliant, but he's an alright squad player and he's young, and thus he should become a bit better as he becomes a more rounded player.

Second leg in Turin should be mighty interesting. I still think Juve can snatch it at home, could depend on what type of Chelsea team turns up on the night though.

And to no surprised, Madrid were shit. Why so many people make them out to be great still is beyond me. I know they're still regarded as a massive club, yet I don't rate them as one of the top clubs any more what so ever. Don't think Liverpool will have any problems at home.

As I thought. Once again Madrid are proven to be a joke compared to what they once was. I wouldn't even class them in the top ten teams in Europe for that matter and people only make a big deal about them because they're 'REAL MADRID'. In terms of how good they should be for a club as big as them, they're shit. I'm happy that I can laugh at a few of my mates who claimed they'd challenge Liverpool, anyone who felt they would win here really don't watch this team enough.

Juventus/Chelsea was immense. What a game. That was a fucking battle, just madness. I actually started to feel Juve could do it, Chelsea were good enough though to take this game it's fair to say. I love Ranieri, but what a foolish mistake to play Trezerguet. A picture of his former self and he's just not good enough anymore. He scores the odd few important goals from time to time but simply isn't good enough for top level stuff like this, it's been that way for two years now and they still fail to realise. Plus, a half fit Trezerguet is the last thing you need. Should of started Amauri if you ask me.

Now onto United, I cant wait. I'm worried. Most people I know think it'll turn out easy, I'm not so sure. I'm just worried they'll nick a skanky away goal, we'll see.

As I thought. Once again Madrid are proven to be a joke compared to what they once was. I wouldn't even class them in the top ten teams in Europe for that matter and people only make a big deal about them because they're 'REAL MADRID'. In terms of how good they should be for a club as big as them, they're shit. I'm happy that I can laugh at a few of my mates who claimed they'd challenge Liverpool, anyone who felt they would win here really don't watch this team enough.

What a load of bollocks! I'm sorry but I watch Real Madrid every week, alongside Barcelona on Sky Sports and I thought they would give Liverpool a real battle and could get a win. I'm looking at this from the start of December, but they have beat teams such as Villareal, Deportivo and Valencia all within that time, alongside going on a cracking run of winning ten games in a row. Christ they are second in La Liga behind a record breaking Barcelona, they've got cracking players and could go on and win La Liga. I actually guarantee you could not name ten teams better than them just now.

What they did tonight was come up against a good Liverpool performance and once that first goal went in, their confidence went. Looking at it, I had to agree with Raul when he got brought back for a small tug on the Liverpool defender when he was through on goal, when Torres did the same thing and got nothing against him for their first. The second goal was never a penalty, but the other two were very good goals. However, Real had the chances to get some goals, they just look like they are missing RvN, and probably putting Diarra instead of Huntelaar in the team was a mistake.

The only thing standing in the way of having all four English teams in the CL quarter finals is Inter, imo. I can't see Arsenal throwing away a 1-0 lead against Roma now that it's pretty much all they're playing for this season, and they have the advantage in that Roma don't have any away goals, so all Arsenal need to do is score one goal and Roma suddenly need 3.

Was I the only one gutted when Villareal got their second against Panathiniakos, too? I know their dirty greasy Greeks, but it'd be cool to have a new team in the quarter finals for once :P

Oh, and possibly the only thing more comical than Cannavaro's reaction to the penalty was the decision itself.

Edited by Farmer Reil

What a load of bollocks! I'm sorry but I watch Real Madrid every week, alongside Barcelona on Sky Sports and I thought they would give Liverpool a real battle and could get a win. I'm looking at this from the start of December, but they have beat teams such as Villareal, Deportivo and Valencia all within that time, alongside going on a cracking run of winning ten games in a row. Christ they are second in La Liga behind a record breaking Barcelona, they've got cracking players and could go on and win La Liga. I actually guarantee you could not name ten teams better than them just now.

What they did tonight was come up against a good Liverpool performance and once that first goal went in, their confidence went. Looking at it, I had to agree with Raul when he got brought back for a small tug on the Liverpool defender when he was through on goal, when Torres did the same thing and got nothing against him for their first. The second goal was never a penalty, but the other two were very good goals. However, Real had the chances to get some goals, they just look like they are missing RvN, and probably putting Diarra instead of Huntelaar in the team was a mistake.

It's not something I just made up though, I said days ago Madrid wouldn't stand a chance and it was proven tonight. They got outplayed from the word go and looked horrendous. Madrid have look awful for years now when it comes to Europe. I'm not trying to say they're outright shit, I'm saying they're shit in terms of how good they should be and how big of a club they are. When it comes to these big games it shows, have you failed to realise that for the last five or six years of Madrid being nothing but average in Europe? I wasn't really focusing on their work in Spain, more talk towards Europe. And yes I can name you ten teams, but you obviously disagree with me and will do on the teams, so why bother? They're supposed to be one of the top teams, when compared to the likes of United and co they just don't come across that way any more. It's not me trying to shit on them, it's just that I never felt they could ever challenge Liverpool tonight and the proof was there. Years ago people feared this team and while I cant say they don't anymore, they certainly don't on the level people used to. Liverpool getting Madrid was actually one of the easiest draws for the English sides and that's shown. Maybe that's just my opinion on how much they've fallen.

It's not something I just made up though, I said days ago Madrid wouldn't stand a chance and it was proven tonight. They got outplayed from the word go and looked horrendous. Madrid have look awful for years now when it comes to Europe. I'm not trying to say they're outright shit, I'm saying they're shit in terms of how good they should be and how big of a club they are. When it comes to these big games it shows, have you failed to realise that for the last five or six years of Madrid being nothing but average in Europe? I wasn't really focusing on their work in Spain, more talk towards Europe. And yes I can name you ten teams, but you obviously disagree with me and will do on the teams, so why bother? They're supposed to be one of the top teams, when compared to the likes of United and co they just don't come across that way any more. It's not me trying to shit on them, it's just that I never felt they could ever challenge Liverpool tonight and the proof was there. Years ago people feared this team and while I cant say they don't anymore, they certainly don't on the level people used to. Liverpool getting Madrid was actually one of the easiest draws for the English sides and that's shown. Maybe that's just my opinion on how much they've fallen.

Well how can you say that anyone who thought they might have won hadn't watched them enough. I don't care whether they have been average or not in the past few seasons, I have watched them the past few months and they have been different class. The killer for them tonight was losing that early goal, which in my opinion shouldn't have counted (but hey, I would have gave a penalty for Blackburn against United at Old Trafford), for the fact that Raul did it at the other end and had a foul given against him. The second was never a penalty. Going in then at 0-0 at half time would have gave Real that boost they needed, they fell apart after conceding the goals knowing they weren't going to get the win.

Man United, Barca, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Lyon, Bayern, Juve. They are the only teams that I would class as better than Real just now, I may not even class Juve as better considering how well Real are doing in the league. That's only eight, if you class Arsenal as being better on current form then I will completely ignore your point :pervert: Failing that I can't see how you can get ten.

What Real are doing just now is going through a rebirthing experience. They have basically got rid of the Galactico image and moved on to bringing in younger players. Hell their average age out there tonight was about 22 outside of Cannavaro and Heinze. In a few years with the right manager, this team will be once again one of the best in the world.

Looking at it, I had to agree with Raul when he got brought back for a small tug on the Liverpool defender when he was through on goal, when Torres did the same thing and got nothing against him for their first.

Really? When Raul was penalised for tugging Carragher he actually had a hold of his shirt, albeit briefly. Torres did nothing more than put his hand on Pepe's shoulder, he didn't pull or push him at all. Pepe took the risk and went down because normally referees bottle decisions like that and give freekicks just in case, but the ref and the linesman got it right and realised the defender had gone down when he realised he'd messed up.

Well how can you say that anyone who thought they might have won hadn't watched them enough. I don't care whether they have been average or not in the past few seasons, I have watched them the past few months and they have been different class. The killer for them tonight was losing that early goal, which in my opinion shouldn't have counted (but hey, I would have gave a penalty for Blackburn against United at Old Trafford), for the fact that Raul did it at the other end and had a foul given against him. The second was never a penalty. Going in then at 0-0 at half time would have gave Real that boost they needed, they fell apart after conceding the goals knowing they weren't going to get the win.

Man United, Barca, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Lyon, Bayern, Juve. They are the only teams that I would class as better than Real just now, I may not even class Juve as better considering how well Real are doing in the league. That's only eight, if you class Arsenal as being better on current form then I will completely ignore your point :pervert: Failing that I can't see how you can get ten.

What Real are doing just now is going through a rebirthing experience. They have basically got rid of the Galactico image and moved on to bringing in younger players. Hell their average age out there tonight was about 22 outside of Cannavaro and Heinze. In a few years with the right manager, this team will be once again one of the best in the world.

I definitely don't agree that the result was a foregone conclusion, but Real Madrid have been dire for years now (despite winning the league last season they weren't all that impressive.) They haven't got a Champions League quarter final in 5 years. They lost both legs of their tie to Roma last year, before Roma then lost easily to United. The Spanish league itself has been a bit of a merry-go-round with Valencia and Deportivo on the decline, Villarreal basically being plucky underdogs punching way above their weight and Atletico being their old inconsistent selves despite being established in the league again. Real haven't even looked all that solid during their unbeaten run under Ramos, they were squeaking out victories against poor teams and riding on the wave of Raul-adulation and Robben-wankery. van Nistelrooj being out for the season and Sneijder disappearing means they've lost some of the quality they had last season. Sergio Ramos has been absolutely out of his mind for most of the season from what I've seen and Pepe is a complete liability. Lassana Diarra is the only strong defensive player they have any more and Casillas is one of few players with CL-winner quality.

I'd say that Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Inter, Milan, Bayern and Lyon are all definitely more dangerous than Real in European competition, and probably Juventus as well. I'm not sure how you can argue that Milan aren't, even though they aren't in the competition this year they won it two years ago and it's hard to argue that their experience wouldn't help them in the CL. Again - Real haven't got past the first knockout round for 5 years!