Coin Op's greatest 100 videogames. As voted for properly by you.

I may be stepping on Zero's feet here a bit but it seems like people fancy this channel 4 style top 100 list in Coin Op so I thought I'd start it and Zero can joint run this with me if he fancies. If not then he can still be the beautiful face of the poll that people love and trust.

It makes sense to use the YI way of working out the ratings (although it scuppers the chances of my own personal choices heehehe).

So choose TEN GAMES that you think are the BEST TEN GAMES OF ALL TIME!

This doesn't mean your current "oooh I'm enjoying this" games. I'd also humbly suggest that this doesn't mean the "Oh yeah man, Pong was so important to the genre - number 1" because while Pong was all we had at the time and it's iconic, it's also far from the BEST game ever made.

You can vote for numerous games from a single series if you want to as the Final Fantasies, Metal Gears etc are completely separate games from eachother. Please vote for a separate GAME rather than a SERIES. Don't just put 1) The Final Fantasy Series....Which one is the best?!

So, your number 1 game gets ten points and your number 10 game gets one point and then everything else in between.

In YI's cunning way we then multiply the game's total score from all it's voters by the number of people who voted for it.

So for example if 3 people vote for Suburban Commando on the Amiga - one person rating it 4th best game (7 points) and two people rate it 9th best (2 points) then it scores 7+2+2=11. Multiplied by the three to make 33 total points. Simple.

Anyways you've got a week or so to vote so tally ho!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool.

1. Xenosaga Episode I (PS2)

2. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)

3. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)

4. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES/SNES etc)

5. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)

6. GTA: San Andreas (PS2)

7. Super Mario Brothers (NES)

8. WWF Smackdown! 2 (PS1)

9. Grandia II (PS2)

10. Duck Hunt (NES)

My nominations:

1) Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

2) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)

3) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

4) Pro Cycling Manager '08 (PC)

5) Monkey Island 2 (Amiga/PC)

6) Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga)

7) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

8) Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

9) Ico (PS2)

10) Call of Duty 4 (PS3)

Hmm four appears to be the magic number.

I have a sneaky feeling that Fallout 3 will blast it's way into this list. I'm SO excited about it right now.

1. Earthbound (SNES)

2. Super Mario World (SNES)

3. Grand Theft Auto 3 (Playstation 2)

4. Call of Duty 4 (XBOX 360)

5. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)

6. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)

7. Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation)

8. Guitar Hero (Playstation 2)

9. Doom (PC)

10. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)

1-10. Pong

Because fuck you, that's why.

:shifty:

...okay, for real this time.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

3. Katamari Damacy (PS2)

4. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)

5. Pac-Man (Arcade)

6. Sim City 2000 (PC)

7. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

9. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

10. Super Metroid (SNES)

1. Metal Gear Solid 4

2. Chrono Trigger

3. Xenogears

4. Shadow of the Colossus

5. Kingdom Hearts II

6. Half-Life

7. Final Fantasy VII

8. Ico

9. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

10. Kingdom Hearts

EDIT: Completely forgot about Kingdom Hearts I and II

Edited by CKN

1. Final Fantasy VII(PS1)

2. Kingdom Hearts II(PS2)

3. Star Wars Battlefront II(PS2)

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City(PS2)

5. Madden 04(PS2)

6. NASCAR Thunder 03(PS2)

7. Kingdom Hearts(PS2)

8. Final Fantasy Tactics(PS1)

9. Halo 3(360)

10. Rock Band(360)

Edited by Kyle_

I thought 04 was awesome, mainly the soundtrack. Obviously the gameplay is better now, but for the time it was made, it was awesome.

I've only once blocked a field goal in Madden. It was in Madden 04, the day I bought it, I jumped up and down celebrating, and then the power went off all over town and my blocked kick was gone forever. My brother makes fun of me to this day for being so bummed about it.

1. Super Mario 64 (N64)

- This game is always fun. Whenever you play. Ever. It's easy to play, yet challenging at the same time. Pretty revolutionary in it's style of game play, and is still the best of it's kind. The greatest Nintendo game every made, if not ever, in my opinion.

2. Metal Gear Solid (PS)

- Once again, another revolutionary game, which featured the best storyline in video game history, as well as unique and innovative game play, and introduced us to some of video games greatest heroes and villains.

3. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (XBOX 360)

- The greatest next generation game, that will probably be made for the 360 and PS3. I have it for 360, and it is absolutely addicting and amazing. It's customization is great, as well as the vast majority of quests and storylines you can encounter. Plus, the game world is gigantic. This game will only be up showed by Elder Scrolls V, if it is not an MMORPG.

4. Zelda: Oricana of Time (N64)

- Surprised I haven't seen this on anybodies list yet. This is one of the best games in it's era, and is still great to play today. It's storyline never gets old, and its characters will always be remembered.

5. Halo 2 (XBOX)

- I think this is the greatest FPS game ever created, even though CoD4 is fantastic and I love it just as much. The multiplayer is what really made this game. Great maps, weapons, and has provided me with great memories of playing with friends I don't see anymore. The storyline wasn't too shabby either.

6. Final Fantasy IX (PSX)

- My personal favorite FF, and really captured the Fantasy aspect of the game and story, with a great storyline and characters. And how can't you just love Vivi?

7. Medal of Honor: Frontline (XBOX)

- Straight up awesome. The best WWII game ever created, and from the start of the game, you knew this game was going to be action packed. The storyline itself wasn't amazing, but it kept you playing. One of the best XBOX games for sure, and one of the best FPS's ever created.

8. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

- This game itself made people buy the system and start playing video games. Created a whole new genre in games, and while I think GTA:SA and GTA:IV were better, this game will go down in history as changing the video game industry forever.

9. Civilization III (PC)

- This is another type of game that just never gets old. When it left it's smaller-bit form and entered the world of Windows 98 and XP it just made the series famous. I haven't played IV, which is probably better, but this game is just plain awesome.

10. Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX)

- Anyone who has ever played this game has to love it. The music makes the game itself, as well as the characters. The game is so unique and this just made the list because I personally think it is one of the best games ever made.

Edited by SKA

Thanks Hammy for getting this rolling... I just haven't had the spare time lately to sit down and start this up and I fear that I'd just let it linger about without someone to assist. I'll help out however I can.

Here's my list, voting based on quality of game, personal feelings toward it and overall impact:

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

2. Earthbound (SNES)

3. Super Mario World (SNES)

4. Shining Force II (Genesis)

5. Rock Band (360/PS3)

6. Twisted Metal Black (PS2)

7. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

8. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

9. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)

10. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

1. Final Fantasy IX (PS) - This is the one game that I've been able to play over and over and over again no matter what. I currently have about 7 save files for it and I've had a few overwritten and deleted. No matter how many times I play it, I can still play it again. The story, the character design, the ability system, Chocobo Hot & Cold, all of it is just so fantastic. It helps that I consider myself a romantic.

2. Final Fantasy X (PS2) - I don't wanna be typecast, but FFX is the game I've spent the most time on in a single file. There's always something to do in X, though I think that at about 150 hours with everything from Penance to Golden Omega (can't remember his real name) beaten, I'm finally approaching the end of the journey.

3. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) - I don't think there are words to properly describe the awesomeness of MGS4. The variety in missions, scenery and settings is enough without including story, music, gameplay and all that other ridiculous stuff. Needless to say, it deserves this spot, and would be higher if I didn't enjoy the other 2 games far more than is healthy.

4. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA) - Golden Sun was amazing, class customisation was fantastic, the music was beautiful, the characters were funny, and the story was your classic jewels and elements type affair, with it's fair share of twists. And quite amazing was how long the game was considering it was one GBA.

5. Metal Gear Solid (PS) - I love the boss battles. Simple as that tbh, though there's far more to it than that. For one, the voice acting, especially back then was superb. And liquid almost cannot be beat in terms of badassery.

6. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2) - They managed to successfully combine Final Fantasy characters from several games, and Disney favourites. Awesome. Kingdom Hearts 2 beats the original onto the list because of improved camera movement, better battle gameplay, and a more grown-up storyline, while still being suitable for children of a very young age. Also, it has that one markout moment for FF fanboys where Squall and Cloud go back to back against the heartless. Did I mention that Christopher Lee has a fucking awesome voice? No? Christopher Lee has a fucking awesome voice.

7. Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - Yeah, back to Final Fantasy. FFXII really would not have made it near my top 50 had you asked me about a year ago. But after having started over and played through properly, I can happily say that were it not for the lack of character involvement in the story, it would be in my top 5. The new battle gameplay presented quite an adjustment period for me, but I've come to realise that it's a change for the better, and I hope that future FF games continue to evolve FFXII's battle system. More strategy, and lots of fun, it was just the largely political storyline which irked me.

8. Pokemon Diamond (DS) - OK, I lied. I've played Diamond more on the one file than I have FFX, but there's 493 pokemon to catch on diamond. I feel that Diamond was the first pokemon game to really involve me since Silver, they tried to work with the story, and the villains and heroes weren't quite as 2 dimensional as the 3rd gen pokemon games. Why diamond over Pearl though? Cause Dialga looked cooler at the time. >_>

9. GTA IV (PS3) - This really is the first GTA game that I could play and not hate it after a few hours of storyline play. San Andreas annoyed me to no end, mostly because of it's RPG-like elements which really didn't belong. This is the first GTA game that I've never felt the urge to use cheats to spice things up and make things more fun. This is the first GTA game that I've actually beaten the storyline of because while it did challenge me, it wasn't hard, and finally, this game has so much variety online that with or without friends, it's always fun.

-I wasn't sure if we were to nominate one platform of a game over others, but if so, PS3 gets my vote, just cause it's the version I have, and cause online is free.

10. Tekken 3 (PS) - Yeah, there's more recent Tekken's, but they have some problems that stop me from fully enjoying them. Tekken 4, way too slow and unresponsive, Tekken 5, had a final boss that could kick your ass repeatedly with just 2 moves (if you were unlucky) on the easiest difficulty setting. So Tekken 3 wins out.

1. Metal Gear Solid 1 (Playstation)

2. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

3. Grand Theft Auto 3 (Playstation 2)

4. Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

5. Bioshock (Xbox360)

6. Escape from Monkey Island (PC)

7. Halo (Xbox)

8. WWF No Mercy (Nintendo 64)

9. Hitman: Blood Money (Xbox 360)

10. Championship Manager 03/04 (PC)

1. Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)

2. Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis)

3. Elder Scrolls IV (X-Box 360)

4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

6. The Warriors (PS2)

7. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

8. WWF Smackdown 2 (Playstation)

9. Bushido Blade 2 (Playstation)

10. Pit Fighter (Sega Genesis)

Edited by VerbalPuke

1. Deus Ex (PC)

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC/XBOX)

3. Super Mario World (SNES)

4. Diablo 2 (PC)

5. Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)

6. Civilization IV (PC)

7. DOOM (PC)

8. Pac-Man (Arcade)

9. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

10. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

Rather hard to choose just ten. Overall I'd say this is fairly accurate.