Knightmare

Herr Matzat

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... I can remember getting really worked up about that show - I even stopped the review when the kid was in 'trouble' and Treguard was going nuts. The only bad thing about the show to my mind was when the kid doing the actual physical stuff fell down a hole, 'cos that was always such a rubbish effect.

Did anyone ever actually win? It always seemed like they'd get through about two or three shows each time, and then there'd be some sort of jump and the kid in the helmet would fall in.

And long, long after the show went off the air I found a couple of the CYOAdventure books based on it, and found out that no-one ever took the sword/knife/whatever other weapon because they'd lose if they did - but one of the items available was always a weapon. And I never knew why they never took it...

But yeah - great TV.

Y'know, having watched the Knightmare review, I could've sworn it was CITV, not CBBC, like the guy says.

And holy shit, I did the same as you Keith, I thought that's how Knightmare ended where they all play pseudo-chess with those scary-ass knight dudes. That's a headtrip.

Edited by Dragsy

On a related note, there was a sci-fi game similar to Knightmare (although more like the Crystal Maze, I guess) on BBC in the mid-80s.

It was set in space, and the contestants may have been trying to escape from a malfunctioning space station by winning the pieces they needed to get free, or something like that.

Does anyone remember it?

Edit: Nevermind - it was The Adventure Game, it seems. I don't remember the celebrities at all, but as I was only 5 or so when it was on, that's not too suprising. And who calls their show The Adventure Game, anyway? How generic...

Edited by James Casey