Recommend me new metal

Liam

Not nu-metal, NEW metal >_>

Basically, I sometimes find it hard to keep up with extreme metal releases and bands. I've not heard much released in 2008, twould seem, and am looking to check out some bands.

So yeah, new releases, new bands, whichever you prefer.

As for bands I like, My Dying Bride, Mastodon, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, The Project Hate (and the roman numerals that follow), Torche, Emperor, Nachtmystium, In Flames, Neurosis, Cult Of Luna, Isis, Nile, Behemoth, Mayhem......so yeah, covers most of the extreme metal categories, except for Grind, which I'm not a huge fan of, though I do have CD's by Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

Gallhammer are quite interesting, they're a female Japanese doom band. If that doesn't sell them, nothing will.

Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine are good, although I have a feeling you've heard them - members of Cathedral, Iron Monkey/Electric Wizard, Khanate, Goatsnake, SunnO))), Burning Witch.....lovely.

Burial Chamber Trio are brilliant - Oren Ambarchi, Atilla Csihar of Mayhem and Greg Anderson of SunnO))) in a collaborative mood.

Torture Wheel, Asva, Lotus Eaters, Goatsnake and Nadja (more lady doom!) are all damn good doomy droney bands too.

Also, Sigh. They're a brilliant Japanese black metal band who incorporate countless other genres and ideas into what they do - black metal doom with a seamless surf guitar interlude is something to be amazed by.

Edited by Skummy

Gallhammer are quite interesting, they're a female Japanese doom band. If that doesn't sell them, nothing will.

Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine are good, although I have a feeling you've heard them - members of Cathedral, Iron Monkey/Electric Wizard, Khanate, Goatsnake, SunnO))), Burning Witch.....lovely.

Burial Chamber Trio are brilliant - Oren Ambarchi, Atilla Csihar of Mayhem and Greg Anderson of SunnO))) in a collaborative mood.

Torture Wheel, Asva, Lotus Eaters, Goatsnake and Nadja (more lady doom!) are all damn good doomy droney bands too.

Yeah, I liked Gallhammer....should probably re-download thier CD.

I've heard of Teeth Of Lions....., but not actually heard them. Will look into it, as I've got stuff by most of the bands you mentioned.

I'll have a look into the other stuff as well. What Nadja would you recommend? I know they seem to have a fairly productive workrate, and a lot of albums.

• 2 weeks later...

Hayaino Daisuki. Get their debut EP now. They're a sort of thrash/grindcore outfit featuring the singer from the now-defunct grind band Discordance Axis. More accurately than that, their sound can be described as playing 80's power and speed metal at triple speeds with guitars wailing all over the place and Jon Chang handling his duties on the mic like a proboscis monkey hopped up on LSD. It's only four tracks long, clocks in at under 15 minutes, and is still one of my personal top 3 extreme metal releases this year.

Other worthwhile bands to look out for:

Mistress (great sludgy thrash from the guys behind Anaal Nathrakh)

Coffins (another great Japanese metal band! Mid-paced death/doom metal that is just fucking PUNISHING)

Wold

Darkspace (Wold is to Darkspace what Darkspace is to Sunn O))) what Sunn O))) is to regular doom metal, pretty much. Insanely isolationist, cold and bleak stuff)

Hate Forest - Raw black metal

Skeletonwitch - Awesome black thrash

Bestial Mockery - Awesome black thrash

Warbringer - The first decent thrash band in years

Machiavellian - Death/trash with some doom/sludge/stroner thrown in for good measure I've heard they're awesome. :shifty:

Spearhead - Probably the best black/death metal band in the UK at the moment.