Star Wars question

Hewey

Ah, right...well, yeah, the 2006 editions have the original versions as bonus features. But the 2001/2002 SE stuff was seen as the definitive versions, with the 2004 trying to incorporate too many things from Episodes 1-3.

I'm not bothered at all by the added digital effects. I know a lot of people that are bothered by them, but they don't bother me at all.

Ditto. I first saw Star Wars at the cinema when the special editions first came out in the late 90s. I then got the trilogy on tape, also special edition, so I fell in love with them anyways. Changes which were huge to some people I had no knowledge of. The one that seemed to rub EVERYONE the wrong way was the Solo/Greedo scene. Does it really matter who shot first? Either way, Han is a badass. I liked a lot of the new things. The improved scenes of the Sarlacc for example, and the shots of Mos Eisley making it seem more 'busy'. And the elaborated finalé of Return of the Jedi. Many minor things overall improved it. But that's from a guy who didn't see the originals first.

One thing that really bugged me was changing Vader's force-ghost to Anakin for whatever reason. Made no sense at all. Unless he traveled back in time and died somehow, and I missed it. I didn't see a young Kenobi or Yoda at the end.

This makes absolutely no sense:

HaydenJedi2.jpg

I always thought that the whole "originals are better" thing was a load of crap. Then I got the DVDs, and the originals are so much better it's not even funny. It's not until you see the originals again, you realise just how much the CGI interupts the flow of the films, and stands out like a sore thumb. The originals with purely model based sequences just FITS better, and there's not that noticable jump to where a CGI section is used.

The only thing I ever really liked from the special editions was the shot of the Falcon lifting out of Mos Eisley spaceport. I could live with that. The rest of it just ruins the pacing, which is one of the best things about the Star Wars films.

Oh, and the re-shot Emperor dialogue in Empire Strikes Back is a huge pile of poop. Honestly. Poop.

I think that got retconned as an extension of what Obi-Wan says to Luke:

"Anakin was seduced by the dark side of the force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed."

And so the last time 'Anakin' was alive was when he was played by Christensen.

Yeah. It makes fuck-all sense, but I think that's what the official reasoning was.

Except that he repented just before his death, of course. Though I guess that's the best reason they could use if they ARE trying to bullshit a reason for doing it.

Really, it was just them trying to link the two trilogies together - much like how they redubbed Boba Fett/the stormtroopers, much to my annoyance.

Edited by stokeriño

Except that he repented just before his death, of course. Though I guess that's the best reason they could use if they ARE trying to bullshit a reason for doing it.

Really, it was just them trying to link the two trilogies together - much like how they redubbed Boba Fett/the stormtroopers, much to my annoyance.

Well, see, Boba Fett being redubbed does make sense, since he's a completely unaltered clone of Jango Fett and so should logically have the exact same voice when he's an adult. I didn't notice any of the stormtroopers being redubbed though.

My memory about whether the troopers were or were not redubbed is hazy. I can't remember whether it was just one of those things I was told they might do it, as opposed to one of the things they actually did to it. :shifty:

The one line I am thinking of is "Look sir, droids!".

Davin Felth!

Edited by stokeriño

Some of the changes I enjoyed, others were bad ideas (Greedo shooting first);

I don't really mind the CGI, there are certain parts of the first film where I think they could've done some better work other than throwing in animated dewbacks (The scene on the Falcon where look is training with the remote, the lightsaber effect looks like shit).

The Emperor bit in Empire; I'll take Ian McDiarmid there, as long as they kept the original dialog in. I just love the way they said it, that "search your feelings Lord Vader" reminded me too much of the prquels, and that isn't a good thing.

And Hayden Christiansen in Jedi = (N) . Bad idea, George.

Redubbing was just awful, too. I love the stone cold way Boba Fett spoke. I don't care if he's a clone of Jango, he's a different person. Let's give him some identity!