Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

Another draw. I'm getting pretty good player ratings, mostly about mid 7's, but we just can't seem to get a win. The fans are still pleased enough with all the results even though we clearly should be winning some of them. They must be very forgiving. I can only assume my strikers are just god-awful (4 goals in 7 games, 2 from strikers) and now I've brought a new coach in and had to pay compensation, I've literally got next to nothing to spend on loans in January - I make it about 16k. Got a couple of strikers on loan that seem to be banging them in albeit for lower league teams, so I'll try and get by until they return in January and try them out to see if they can do any better.

And the game is flying by for me processing-wise, it's just me looking at different things and browsing around that means I'm not going quickly through the season.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, I'm not sure if it was the same in previous versions, but I find it a bit annoying that a player's history (before the first in-game season) only includes league games, and not cup, continental and international. Might be a bit picky, but I'd find it better if it had all games in there.

Also, I'm not sure if it was the same in previous versions, but I find it a bit annoying that a player's history (before the first in-game season) only includes league games, and not cup, continental and international. Might be a bit picky, but I'd find it better if it had all games in there.

It's always been like that, I think - back to the very first game. It would be better if they had everything, I'm not sure why they don't - maybe it's because they don't have the rights to use stats from certain competitions?

Edited by -A-

I prefer it that way tbh, it's a better indication of how they did. You know how many games they could've played in, for instance, and what if a player has 7 goals to his name for a season, but thats because 5 of them came in the cups against lower league rubbish?

Ok, I got a few questions. :)

1) Is it just me, or do new players take longer to adapt to new teams compared to previous versions? On FM08, I used to be able to sign players and they would fit straight in, now it seems like they take awhile before they start putting in good performances. I prefer it this way and it's more realistic, was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed it.

2) I was thinking of starting a game, and using my formation as 4 - 3 - 1 - 2, without using any players on the wing, and 3 centre midfielders, or 2 centre midfielders and 1 defensive midfielder, anyone think it will work? or is it best to have players on the wing?

The next question, is just about creating a manager at start which I have wanted to ask since FM08 but never actually did.

3) If my manager speaks fluent English, and for example, Spanish and Italian too, is playing in the Spanish league and Italian league until he learns them, the only way for him to have them languages, or is it possible to select them at start. It's not a big deal, just wondering if it is possible.

1) Is it just me, or do new players take longer to adapt to new teams compared to previous versions? On FM08, I used to be able to sign players and they would fit straight in, now it seems like they take awhile before they start putting in good performances. I prefer it this way and it's more realistic, was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed it.

2) I was thinking of starting a game, and using my formation as 4 - 3 - 1 - 2, without using any players on the wing, and 3 centre midfielders, or 2 centre midfielders and 1 defensive midfielder, anyone think it will work? or is it best to have players on the wing?

The next question, is just about creating a manager at start which I have wanted to ask since FM08 but never actually did.

3) If my manager speaks fluent English, and for example, Spanish and Italian too, is playing in the Spanish league and Italian league until he learns them, the only way for him to have them languages, or is it possible to select them at start. It's not a big deal, just wondering if it is possible.

1) Not really signed too many players yet, so can't comment.

2) Works for me at Leeds (with the DM) but Andy Robinson (my AM) plays crap despite being possibly my best player statistically.

3) Umm... I'm pretty sure you can select two languages (and possibly more if you click advanced options) from the create-a-manager wizard.

Could be the player's adaptability stat being low (not sure if that's hidden or not...), but I guess that determines how well they fit into new teams.

Playing without any players on the wing gives you the numbers advantage in the centre of midfield, but you could get caught by the oppositions wingers. I'd only try it if your RB and LB are quite fast and generally quite good. No harm in trying it though.

Not sure about the languages. If you set their second nationality as Spanish though, then I'd assume he'd be able to speak that as well as English.

EDIT: And yes, I would get it but only if the demo runs OK.

And I won a game! Changed my tactics to have only 1 up front to allow a defensive midfielder to help my defence out and pushed up my MR and ML's to AMR and AML's to help support my striker. My striker had a lousy game, presumably because he had next to no support, so I subbed him and the sub snuck a goal in on 92 minutes. I'll take it though!

Edited by Scott McFly

Argh, bloody hell. How typical. 0-0 against Arsenal in the FA Cup e.on (>_>) 4th Round until the 5th minute of a 4 minute injury time and Toure scores off a set piece. Rargh :@

Edit: Damnit, must have missed it in the rush to sign him before the January window closed, but it appears Barry Ferguson will be coming in July of 2009 and not now which I wanted as a replacement for Jenas :( So I'm probably gonna have to give either Boateng or Taarabt a run off the bench every now and then instead :@

In good transfer news, I managed to sell Michael Dawson to Everton for 4.7m AND Phil Jagielka. Also sold Jenas to Portsmouth for 8m and signed Jaime Gavilan on loan until the end of the season. Tried to sign a back-up keeper for Gomes who isn't past his use-by-date but no one wanted to loan them to me <_<

Man City are bitches though, signing both Diarra (20.5m) and Kranjcar (15.75m) from Portsmouth who I tried to sign myself, just couldn't afford. Other big transfers include Newcastle buying Ferreira from Chelsea for 1.2m, Portsmouth signing Pennant for 4.7m, Aston Villa buying Rodrigo Palacio for 23.5m, Bolton signed Paul Caddis for 2.2m (pretty good deal there), Everton signing Ameobi for 1.2m, Fulham getting Landon Donovan on a free and Liverpool got Nigel de Jong for 6m.

Sunderland signed Gary Cahill (10.5m), Paul Scharner (6m) and Tranquillo Barnetta (6.5m) and this Argentinean bloke called Leonardo Ponzio for 5.75m for a grand total of 29m, don't know where they got the money from.

2nd edit: Probably had one of my best comebacks on the game. Versing Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup 2nd Knockout Round, at home after drawing the away leg 0-0. They go up after 66 minutes, so knowing I had to score 2 to go through I went all out attack, playing Bent and Pavlyuchenko up front, Gavilan, Modric and Bentley just behind them and Huddlestone covering everything behind them at central mid. Nothing happened until the 88th minute when Huddlestone played a beautiful 50 metre ball for Bent to run onto, who did a typical Bent finish low around the keeper. Then in the first minute of injury time Hutton got the ball in their half, played it straight up the middle, splitting the defence for Pavlyuchenko who did the rest. Don't think I've ever cheered like that for an FM goal before >_>

Edited by Zaz

Bought it second hand in the end, and have had no problems. Just running up towards December with Fulham, and had an awesome home record, and a piss poor away record, so pretty standard for Fulham really. Had a couple of really good victories, including 3-0 away at Tottenham, and 4-2 at home to Liverpool. Went 2-0 up against Man Utd, then missed a penalty, and lost 4-2.

Bought this Uzbek forward called Shatskikh, who has scored 5 in 12, and added to my defence with Nesmanchyi and Miguel Torres.

My brother bought this the other day and it runs fine in terms of processing speed and all that, but seems to crash and cut out after every other game. I'm assuming it's Vista because it's a brand new computer, but he's had no joy finding a solution for it. Any ideas?

Edited by Zombie Lesnar

Enjoying my Arsenal game. In late November my only defeat has been to Plymouth in the League Cup 4th round on penalties, but like Wenger i played a team consisting of kids and fringe players. Won 9 Drawn 4 in the league, sitting top. Oh, and I went 901 mins without conceding a goal in all competitions, and not conceded a league goal since the end of August! Nihat is a sensation at right wing (has also scored in both games i used him as an emergency striker), well worth the £15m i paid. Only concern is that Van Persie doesn't seem to be able to score for shit. Only 4 goals so far, 2 of those penalties. Thinking of dropping him for Eduardo once he's back match-fit.

Edited by SilentBob2004

My Fulham team has fallen apart somewhat. 5 losses in the last 5 games, but now at the January transfer window, so looking to bring in some players. Sadly, means I've had to take money for Simon Davies, just to hopefully free up some money to strengthen all areas (buying Maduro, Doyle and Sagnol, potentially).

Started a game as Rangers and im not doing a bad job. Second in the league after 10 games with my only defeat to Aberdeen but I am most likely going to get sacked cause there is a board takeover happening at the moment and they want Stoichkov to be manager when they eventually take control :(

My brother bought this the other day and it runs fine in terms of processing speed and all that, but seems to crash and cut out after every other game. I'm assuming it's Vista because it's a brand new computer, but he's had no joy finding a solution for it. Any ideas?

What's the PC specs? Have you installed the patch? Check this page for the problem:

http://www.sigames.com/sibase.php?type=subsection&id=31