King Ellis

1) Download a program called steam through steampowered.com

2) Install it

3) Search the store page for football manager 2009

4) Add it to your basket

5) Pay through the checkout using your credit card

6) Wait for it to download and it'll install automatically

7) As soon as it says READY, double click it and play it

That's pretty much it, and you keep the game forever on your steam account so if you bought a new pc in the next 5 years and figured you wanted to have a nostalgia trip over Spurs 08 you just press install and download it again for free.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried using Steam to download the patch (I'd bought the game itself through Play.com). The damn thing annoyed me so much that I didn't even wait to get the patch before I unistalled Steam and went for another, more traditional, direct download method.

And having the game available to download again doesn't seem like much of an appeal to me when I can just keep the disc like I do with every other game/DVD/etc. I own.

Edited by stokeriño

Okay EWB, I need your help.

I'm going to buy Football Manager 2009 over the next few days but only if I can figure out how to get it to fucking work. I've read so much about how I have to register it and download through something called steam, but I've got no idea how to do it. I usually just buy the game a few days after release and away I go.

So I could really do with someone posting (or PM'ing) instructions on how I get the game up and running, preferably with the latest patches installed aswell.

:) Thank You

Steam is only one method of buying it, you don't have to use Steam at all if you don't want to. I just bought the retail copy as usual and then it asks you how you want to register it when you install it - I just picked Internet. Then when you play it for the first time you input the code on the back of the manual (check here: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ if it doesn't work first time if you have 0's or 1's that could be letters or numbers). Then after that you don't need the CD in your drive or have to be connected online.

Of course if you want to use Steam, you can just purchase it through there and it does all that for you. Alternatively, you can just register your retail copy through Steam. The advantage of Steam is that it'll update your game automatically for you with any patches. But if you don't already have Steam and don't want to install it then you can just register like I did above and download patches from the SI website and apply them yourself, which is straightforward anyway.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: The latest patch is here: http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=...84&file=482 if you want to install it yourself, it includes all previous updates so it's the only one you need.

Edited by Scott McFly

Okay EWB, I need your help.

I'm going to buy Football Manager 2009 over the next few days but only if I can figure out how to get it to fucking work. I've read so much about how I have to register it and download through something called steam, but I've got no idea how to do it. I usually just buy the game a few days after release and away I go.

So I could really do with someone posting (or PM'ing) instructions on how I get the game up and running, preferably with the latest patches installed aswell.

:) Thank You

Steam is only one method of buying it, you don't have to use Steam at all if you don't want to. I just bought the retail copy as usual and then it asks you how you want to register it when you install it - I just picked Internet. Then when you play it for the first time you input the code on the back of the manual (check here: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ if it doesn't work first time if you have 0's or 1's that could be letters or numbers). Then after that you don't need the CD in your drive or have to be connected online.

Of course if you want to use Steam, you can just purchase it through there and it does all that for you. Alternatively, you can just register your retail copy through Steam. The advantage of Steam is that it'll update your game automatically for you with any patches. But if you don't already have Steam and don't want to install it then you can just register like I did above and download patches from the SI website and apply them yourself, which is straightforward anyway.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: The latest patch is here: http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=...84&file=482 if you want to install it yourself, it includes all previous updates so it's the only one you need.

Ta Scott.

I was getting very confused with this steam business, but I think I get it now. I've ordered the game off Play and I'll get it tomorrow I reckon. So I can just install it like FM08 and then install the patch easy enough?

If I get any problems, I can guarentee you'll be getting a PM <_<

Got this and started a game a few weeks ago. Just wrapped up my first season as Newcastle this morning, my brother's been playing a game as Newcastle too, he won the league, I came 6th...I'll take that happily though.

TRANSFERS

SUMMER 08

:::IN:::

Dennis Rommedahl (Right Wing) - £2.2m - Ajax

Jorge Ribeiro (Left Back) - £1.1m - Benfica (Premier League signing of the season, not bad for someone originally signed purely for cover)

Matías Lequi (Utility Defender) - FREE TRANSFER

Fernando Couto (900 Year Old & Still Kicking!) - FREE TRANSFER

:::OUT:::

Habib Beye - £3m - Marseille

Steve Harper - £1.7m - Man City

+ some bum-fucks out on Loan

WINTER 09

Antonio Barragán (Right Back) - £1.4m - Deportivo

Gabi (Central Midfielder) - £1.4m - Zaragoza

Álvaro Saborío (Striker) - £1.2m - Young Boys (Fans think he's a flop, but he only played 5 games and scored 2, what more do they want?)

Jerzy Dudek (Goalie) - £250k - Real Madrid

José Enrique - £5.23m - Spurs

Joey Barton - £4.5m - Fulham

Charles N'Zogbia - £3.5m - Spurs

Tim Krul - £2.3 - Rennais

Frank Wiafe Danquah - £300k - Derby

SUMMER 09

Owen Hargreaves (Defensive Midfield) - £13m - Man Utd

Oscar Cardoza (Striker) - £11.75m - Benfica

Ryan Taylor (Right Sider) - £2.4m - Wigan

Glenn Whelan (Central Midfielder) - £575k - Stoke

Macauley Chrisantus (Striker) - FREE TRANSFER - HSV

José Ángel Fernández Ruiz (Right Wing) - FREE TRANSFER - Betis

Daniel Sturridge (Striker) - FREE TRANSFER - Man City

Fabricio Coloccini - £15m - Inter Milan

Xisco - £11.5m - Spurs

Geremi - £5m - Nantes

Alan Smith - £5m - West Brom

Ben Tozer - £1.4m - Stoke

Mark Viduka - £300k - Hull

Michael Owen - FREE TRANSFER - Real Madrid

David Edgar - FREE TRANSFER - Falkirk

Chelsea were absolute cunts and tried to sign Martins using his minimum fee release (with me having no time to really find a good enough replacement before the new season), but thankfully I managed to keep hold of him with an epic new contract.

Rommedahl/Couto/Lequi/Cacapa all basically have a season at the club and that's it. Using the older defenders to tutor some of the younger ones, Rommedahl...I have Duff and Gutierrez who unlike Rommedahl can seem to score (although Rommedahl has a good number of assists), plus by the end of the season 'little LuaLua' and youth signing from Betis, Ruiz will be near enough ready to start in the first team. So I'll sell him, Lequi and hopefully Cacapa while I can still get some form of money for them.

Edited by YI

Ta Scott.

I was getting very confused with this steam business, but I think I get it now. I've ordered the game off Play and I'll get it tomorrow I reckon. So I can just install it like FM08 and then install the patch easy enough?

If I get any problems, I can guarentee you'll be getting a PM <_<

No problem. If you're buying the retail copy then all you need to do is install like normal, pick Internet for activation method when you're installing and then when you start playing it for the first time it should ask you for the code on the back of the manual. I'm assuming you have Internet access on the computer you'll be playing it on?

But yeah, I'd start up the game once to make sure the code business goes OK (check the link I posted if you've got 0's and 1's that could be numbers or letters since it's a bit unclear) then just exit out and install the 9.2.0 patch you download from the SI Games website.

Also, if you want a proper German national team and Oliver Kahn to have his real name etc. then I think Kraigy posted something earlier on in the thread that fixes all the names and data that had to be changed for legal reasons. Here's the post: http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index....p;#entry1591868

And here's instructions on how to put it in, I think your folder would be 920 instead of 910 since it's a different patch: http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index....p;#entry1593420

Other than that there may be some updates out there with the January transfers, but I've no idea which ones are any good. sortitoutsi.net have a few if anyone's tried any?

Edited by Scott McFly

Rommedahl/Couto/Lequi/Cacapa all basically have a season at the club and that's it. Using the older defenders to tutor some of the younger ones, Rommedahl...I have Duff and Gutierrez who unlike Rommedahl can seem to score (although Rommedahl has a good number of assists), plus by the end of the season 'little LuaLua' and youth signing from Betis, Ruiz will be near enough ready to start in the first team. So I'll sell him, Lequi and hopefully Cacapa while I can still get some form of money for them.

I wonder why you got Rommedahl anyway. Even at Ajax he never plays, he's really poop in the game :o

Yeah, the goalkeeping AI is shocking on this. I was playing a game as Middlesbrough, we're leading Man Utd 1-0 in the last couple of minutes and VDS smacks a long ball over our defence. My keeper (Lobont) rushes out to meet it, he gets to get there well ahead of Rooney, but then decides to leave the ball where it is and jog back towards his goal. Inevitably, Rooney lobs him and we lose two points.

Logo Pack (unzip it into your FM 2009 folder, usually in your My Documents folder)

All Nations

All Confederations

Competitions:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Croatia, Ireland, Iceland, Lithuania, N.Ireland, Norway, New Zealand, Scotland, Switzerland, Ukraine, Wales, World Cup (Finals and Qualifiers for 2010), European Championships (Finals and Qualifiers for 2012), Champions League, Europa League, Intertoto, Super Cup

Clubs:

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Belarus, Denmark, England (Premiership plus most missing Conference ones), Estonia, Finland, Germany (Bundesliga - Oberliga), Croatia, Ireland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, N.Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, San Marino, Switzerland, Ukraine, Wales

Face Pack Pt1

Face Pack Pt2

Face Pack Pt3

Face Pack Pt4

Face Pack Pt5

Face Pack Pt6

Face Pack Pt7

Face Pack Pt8

Leagues: Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, England, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Russia, Bulgaria, Norway, Peru, USA, Ukraine, Croatia, Hungary, Chile, Germany)

Fix for fake player names (German + Dutch national team etc.)

Goes in "Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\updates\update-910\db\910\lnc\all" or, if you're using steam: "Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\data\updates\update-910\db\910\lnc\all"

Other Important Instructions