Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

In my England game, I've been drawn in my World Cup 2010 group along with...Brazil, South Korea and USA.

Holy fuck that's a tough group. :(

I mean Argentina get drawn with Switzerland, Saudi Arabia and Honduras. Honduras for fuck's sake.

Hey, hey . Honduras has David Suazo and Wilson Palacios, shush! Your group should not be a problem at all to be honest, have a little faith :pervert:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I called up Almunia too!, he's a pretty handy goalkeeper to keep until Foster and Hart fully develop.

Into 2011 with England and qualifying has been very nerve wracking!, My group consisted of a few jobbers(Kazakhstan,Hungary) but then some tricky teams like Sweden,Ireland and Switzerland, Rooney was out for most of the matches so I had a tough time scoring goals although Michael Owen came out of nowhere and had a brilliant run of games which saw him finally overtake the England goalscoring records.

So towards the end, Sweden had top spot while me,Hungary and Switzerland were fighting it out for second place, I drew with Hungary who then went on to lose against Switzerland, my next match was away to the Swiss and the winner would basically get second place...I had Rooney and Walcott both long term absentees back in the squad although they were both unfit and kept on the bench.

Crouch and Owen started up front with a 36 year old(but quality)David Beckham on the right and Bentley on the left with Gerrard and Barry in the centre. It was a very nervous game and they completely overran my midfield(exploiting the lack of pace). Barnetta tore past Beckham and Barry almost everytime he got the ball. On the stroke of half time, Michael Owen tracks back and gives away a penalty.

Reto Ziegler missed to my relief, then in the beginning of the second half I got a penalty but with my usual penalty taker Lampard out through suspension...Bentley took it and missed. They kept on pressing until I gave in and threw on Walcott and Rooney for Crouch and Bentley, instantly Beckham puts in a cross which Rooney flicks on and Walcott volleys in!, Switzerland switch to the 4-2-4 and I throw on Curties Davies for Owen and just defend like a pussy for the rest of the game.

Fuck that got too long, sorry for rambling but I have sealed qualification so you'll have to experience a bit more of this>_>

Started a new game the other day, got bored with my Sao Paulo game.

Starting Club: N/A (Unemployed)

Starting Reputation: Sunday League Footballer

Got given a job with Stranraer in the Scottish Second Division, 4 league games played so far, 1 win and 3 losses :(

We do seem to be playing well in cup games though.

League Cup second round, I was against Hamilton, everyone was expecting us to lose heavily, 90 mins, it's 0 - 0, I was like sweet, we're doing well, but then last minute of stoppage time they scored, and I lost 0 - 1. :(

I got bored of my Sao Paulo game too. It didn't feel the same on FM09, I did have my computer die and lose a nice run of games I had but didn't save and didn't want to replay them but damn. FM08 I was quality with them, but the team just didn't feel the same or as entertaining as it did then.

Hernanes is still the fucking boy though.

Edited by IAceI

My league form is getting better. :D

Scottish Cup 3rd round, we were drawn against Livingston, as well as everyone, I too was expecting a heavy loss, but no, we won 4 - 2!

Game after that, league game vs Stirling, once again we were expected to lose, but we won 1 - 0.

Hopefully we can keep this run going and avoid relegation.

Currently 8th in table with 14 points, Ayr are below me with 11 points, then Queen's Park are bottom with 9 points.

EDIT: Fuck Yeah! Just beat Peterhead, who were 2nd in the table, 2 - 1! It would have been 2 - 0, but my keeper made a mistake at the end.

Edited by Sick N Twisted

Well I've only played one game so far that I've won 5-1. Against Slavia Prague though. >_>

I'm doing 4-4-2 which is always my preferred but it doesn't look like it will be too good seeing as I only have Anelka and Drogba as competent strikers and Drogba is injured for ages.

Begged Abramovich for some more money with which I got Zhirkov for £10 million so I've got around £15 million for another striker.

So I've got my latest transfer budget. £55m to improve on near perfection? Interesting.

I'm letting a lot of my youngsters and reserves go as they'll never make the grade, but I don't really need... anyone. But do I just let £55m sit there and wilt?

hullshitty.jpg

That was the table when I took over in December, just started playing the save again after a break and finished the season:

2jscjl.jpg

Made a couple of loan signings in January which really helped. Donati came in from Celtic and was miles better than Boateng, so we actually had a central midfield that could tackle and keep the ball. Christian Dailly came from Rangers, he only really started one in every three games but always played well. Seemed to get fouled a lot quite high up the pitch as well, which was useful. I also got Daniel Sturridge from Man City but he was quite poor, scored on his debut but then didn't score again and eventually was just backup to Manucho and Daniel Cousin.

Manucho was awesome though, finished the season with 20 league goals (joint second highest in the league), didn't really see him much but always popped up with a goal. One of the few FM players I've head that can actually score from one on ones with the keeper (touch wood). Boaz Myhill was excellent throughout as well, I signed Basso from Bristol City originally to be number 1, but he got injured and Myhill excelled so I couldn't really think about dropping him. He finished home draws against Chelsea (2-2) and Arsenal (1-1) with an average rating of 9.0 in each game, and given that we stayed up with two points those results were massive.

In the summer I've got rid of a lot of the deadwood from last season. Giovanni's gone to Betis for £2m and Bullard left after his contract expired, he would have signed another one but he was awful in practically every game he played and finished the season with a 5.22 overall average rating. Also raised some funds by selling Fagan (£1.1m) and Anthony Gardner (£1.3m) to Wigan, Folan (£1.3m) to West Ham and Boateng and Wayne Brown (reserve team CB) for a combined £1.2m-ish) to AZ and some Championship team.

Replaced them all with much better players. Signed Manucho and Donatti on permanent deals and re-signed Dailly on loan because he covers a fair few different positions. Got a few players in on frees, Andy Dorman (AMC) from St Mirren, Benoit Pedretti (MC) from Auxerre and Jérémy Mathieu (WBL/ML) from Toulouse. Really pleased with Mathieu, I tried to sign him in January but they wanted £7m for him, and now that I've got him Newcastle and Fulham are both interested. Also signed Scharner (£1.5m) and Carlton Cole (£2.5m) from Wigan and West Ham, as well as Simon Cox and Gary Taylor-Fletcher from Swindon and Blackpool to pad out the team.

First game of the season was away at Liverpool, and we drew 1-1. They took the lead through Babel but Manucho equalised in the second half. Got Man City at home next and then Villa away, so not the easiest of starts but a point against Liverpool was a bonus.

Actually sounds like your having a game that you enjoy and are playing really quite realistic. Not sure whether that's intentional or not but it certainly is nice to see a team made up of players other than the usual names you see in most players teams in some places. The way the game should be played as well, signing players Scharner and Cole is something Hull would definitely do. And selling others to make sure the books balance is something they'd not only do, but have to do. Looks like a fun game for sure.

Definitely better than just selling anyone to fund a top striker signing with mass pace and finishing to win you the league in two seasons or whatever.

My Man Utd game has ground to a bit of a halt, I'm slowly taking my time through pre-season. I picked up Sofiane Feghouli after some scouting and falling in love with the French U21's in real life. His wage demands are quite small as well so I figured he'd be useful to sit on the bench and come in to the team slowly. Obviously being an AM RLC his position is quite stacked so I sold Ji Sung Park to make way. Not to mention I'm fending off near £20m bids for Zoran Tosic, I'm quite sure he'll continue to develop into a phenomenal player.. but at the same time.. Ronaldo, Nani and Feghouli are all sitting there. Is it worth taking perhaps?

EDIT: Okay perhaps not yet. Would appear it didn't save properly, so I still have Park for the time being. And am awaiting my intake of youth again (after I'd been given two quality WBR and fuck all else), wonder if it'll be any different? So will need to do a few things over again (and tell pretty much every reserve/U18 player I don't want them)... fun fun.

Edited by IAceI

So I became a follower of MachedaMania and took him on loan in my Wigan game and he scores the only goal after coming on as a sub against Charlton :D

Does he develop into a decent player later on?

I doubt anyone knows since no-one knew who he was until yesterday <_<