Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

I've considered that, and may do that. May just keep a Man Utd save because I want to see how many trophies I can amass. Plus I keep my stats and stuff, it just seems a bit odd leaving Man Utd after hauling in every trophy in the first season and heading for Lincoln.

At the same time my dilemma of which team to go as may be eased by the fact I'll go through the job search therefore I don't get to be overly picky as not all jobs are on the go.

I didn't click I could still have my Man Utd game on a different save.

EDIT: Although I always pictured myself taking over a UEFA Cup kinda team after Utd, Betis/Deportivo/Sampdoria/Fiorentina level. But that can come later I guess, I do enjoy keeping games going.

Edited by IAceI

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got the game today, and started a game as Sheffield United. Only had the chance to play a friendly, a 0-0 draw with Ferenchvaros or however it's spelled. From the player ratings and the assistant feedback, it would appear that our passing is weak, our finishing is weak, we defend well in the air, but not on the ground, and we need a creativity injection stat.

In good news, Stephen Quinn played damn well.

I've signed Darron Gibson on loan for six months, I intend to bring in someone who can score, and someone with a bit of creativity in the midfield.

Was that like the 3rd season you got him? Villa have him early in the 2nd season on my game (between the first and second seasons) and I don't think it was much more than £10-12m.

Milevskyi? Yeah, after the second season. He'd been in awesome form for Dinamo Kiev in the two years before (27 in 33 and 23 in 27 (19 in 17 in the league)) which could've put his price up a bit as well as me having to pay overs in the first couple of years to get good players to the club. Selling wise, I sold Modric to Barcelona for 20m, Bent to Sunderland for 16.5m :w00t: , Owen to Liverpool for 15.75m (after getting him on a free the year before) and 14m for a 30/31 year old Woodgate to Aston Villa.

I know some of you are going to cringe at the unrealisticness of this but I put in a joke 103 million bid for Messi and they accepted!, during the contract offer he said he had no intention of moving but I offered one anyway and next thing I know I have Lionel Fucking Messi with Man Utd!.

I was surprised but decided to roll with it, he's played 5 games(3 goals, 2 assists)and I have finally succeeded in playing sexy football it's actually fun to watch Rooney-Ronaldo-Anderson-Messi swapping positions all over the place while Berbatov just stays in the middle and taps it in after their hard work!.

EDIT: Shit you made a profit on Bent? would you like to become Bangladesh's prime minister please? :w00t:

Edited by The Future

Just got the game today, and started a game as Sheffield United. Only had the chance to play a friendly, a 0-0 draw with Ferenchvaros or however it's spelled. From the player ratings and the assistant feedback, it would appear that our passing is weak, our finishing is weak, we defend well in the air, but not on the ground, and we need a creativity injection stat.

I've signed Darron Gibson on loan for six months, I intend to bring in someone who can score, and someone with a bit of creativity in the midfield.

Ah, so you managed to get the game to work? Nice.

Yeah, that's pretty much how United are summed up. You have to tweak with individual player's tactics to make it work. For example, Kilgallon's passing is shocking, so you put him to only make short passes, else he gives the ball away ALL the time.

EDIT: Shit you made a profit on Bent? would you like to become Bangladesh's prime minister please? :w00t:

Some other good deals include:

- Getting Jagielka AND 4.3m for Michael Dawson in the January transfer window of the first year. Jagielka became my captain in pre-season 10/11 and he's been first choice since he started. Out with a back injury for a month which has seen him lose his starting spot as Jack Rodwell and a Spanish regen are now my starting centre backs (even over Corluka). He's 33 now, so I'll probably take the captaincy off him end of this season (15/16, so five years of captaincy) and just have him as a back up. Has made near 340 appearances in that time.

- Selling Jenas for 8m. Suckers (H)

- KiddMatt.jpg

For 275k from MK Dons when he was 17/18. After a few years of being Bentley's protege he's now taken his spot in the first team. He's now worth 25m and I've received offers of about 40m for him.

The pic isn't entirely clear but he doesn't have a stat below 12.

Yeah, that's pretty much how United are summed up. You have to tweak with individual player's tactics to make it work. For example, Kilgallon's passing is shocking, so you put him to only make short passes, else he gives the ball away ALL the time.

I've played around a bit with individual tactics. Henderson only seems happy when he's told to chase down every single ball, so he can do that. Have beaten Wycombe 3-1, and then had our best performance and still lost 3-2 to Hamilton.

I've attended one of the England Trialists games, and I've offered trials to 5 players that played well in that game. Bar that, by transfer market dabblings aren't going to well, I want to sign the right player, but I don't know who.

In more positive news, Darron Gibson has played very well in the matches I've started him in.

I've played around a bit with individual tactics. Henderson only seems happy when he's told to chase down every single ball, so he can do that. Have beaten Wycombe 3-1, and then had our best performance and still lost 3-2 to Hamilton.

I've attended one of the England Trialists games, and I've offered trials to 5 players that played well in that game. Bar that, by transfer market dabblings aren't going to well, I want to sign the right player, but I don't know who.

In more positive news, Darron Gibson has played very well in the matches I've started him in.

Try and get yourself a parent club, as that makes it easier to loan players from them. I managed to get Man U and subsequently got Gibson, Possebon and Fabio for the season.

I signed Artem Milevski in season 2 for my City game, To replace An unhappy Vagner love. Subsequently Love has become happy and immense, along with milevski Adriano and Robinho i havent needed to worry about strikers.

I got ledley king on a free, january i sold him for 2.2Mil and steven taylor, Who i then sold at the end of the season for 4 mil.

The most ive ever spent i believe is Xabi alonso for 30 Mil or Niko Krancjar/stewart downing for 15 mil each.

The most ive ever spent i believe is Xabi alonso for 30 Mil or Niko Krancjar/stewart downing for 15 mil each.

I also bought both Kranjcar and Downing for Tottenham. Kranjcar was disappointing and I sold him again soon after (yet he was in Tottenham's favoured personnel for awhile for some reason, but he's gone now). Downing has been immense though, got most assists for the team for the last couple of seasons, a really good buy. Also, with Downing, Rose, Kidd and Bentley, it's meant I've had four really good English wingers for a good couple of seasons.

So having said I'd like to go to a UEFA Cup standard club one day after leaving Utd I got offers from Valencia and Sampdoria. And also Spurs who are 2nd bottom, just above Preston. However I want to aim lower so am waiting for a L1/L2 team to come up. I have a list of teams I would like to manage so the second one of them becomes available I'll swoop in.

I played off my time at Man Utd as interim manager for Alex Ferguson who fell ill (interim managers are all the rage), then I left when I found out Fergie wouldn't be returning as I was just wanting the short time job. Then Tomas Schaaf has taken over from Werder Bremen, I'll find another team and may return to Man Utd one day.

EDIT: And there we are. Gillingham, bottom of League 1. So task one, get us off the bottom, and then build on that. Just on 20th December so a little busy period coming up and then time to see what I can do with this team. Team is pretty thin on the first team, and the reserves are stacked but all pretty terrible. Time to get dirty, given that I've won most matches with Man Utd - this may be a change of pace, still world class manager at Gillingham - I'm assuming my reputation will help.. just a little?

Edited by IAceI

I cant decide what to do with Balotelli in my Inter game. I have 4 strikers, and he would be 3rd, maybe even 4th choice. His stats are good, but he seems to be underperforming a tad, being outscored by the other 3, and even one of my CM's. I also want to bring in Saivet, resume our working relationship, but that would then bring me up to 5 strikers, with only 1 over 30. Though, the amount Blackburn are demanding for Saivet is rediculous, like 20 times what I bought him for when I was at Blackburn. Oh, the pitfalls of managing a top club.

This game can be a cunt. As Sheffield United we were the better team away to Cardiff for 80 minutes, managed to concedge a goal on 82 mins, went down the pitch and equalised, then they scored a winner in the 5th minute of injury time after only 3 were announced.

Not going too well so far, 3 Championship games, draws with Preston and Charlton and the loss to Cardiff. Have knocked Leeds out of the Carling Cup though, which is great.

A few annoying things with the team, you can't win with Matt Kilgallons passing. You either set him to do direct passing and he "gives the ball away too much", you get him to play short passing and he is "used to a more direct passing game". Mixed passing is the worst of both worlds. Dick.

The other annoying thing, to be fair is entirely realistic and that is that Darius Henderson is a wasteful bastard.

So far, my team is like how I feel toward the game itself so far. OK, but under-whelming.

Edited by timmidian