Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

Crybaby Bunting

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with the game itself and stemming from the "how do you pronounce EWB?" thread in the lounge, I had the TV on in the background and could have sworn a 360 advert was on that referred to the game as "Pes 2009" as in saying it as a word "pess" instead of saying "P.E.S." or Pro Evo or Pro Evolution Soccer.

I thought everyone just called it Pro Evo or it's full name, I've never heard anyone call it "pess". I maybe just misheard the guy, but that's what it sounded like.

I call it Pro Evo cos I'm oldskool.

I would call it ISS but meh, can't be bothered.

It seems good. However it felt a little floaty for me AND after getting free down the wing and whipping one in, my centre forward scored a very nice diving header. In the previous version because I had to run upwards a little to connect with the header the ball would have gone wide - this time it buried itself stunningly into the opposite corner of the goal.

Now this is good and bad. It confused me though because I felt I hadn't handled the situation delicately enough to score and didn't deserve the goal. That's NOT a good thing.

It feels different somehow. I need to play it some more.

Played both demo's for FIFA and PES. I'm giving the edge to FIFA, for the first year in almost a decade, but not enough to make me want to but either. Coming from the PS2 verison to the 360, Pro Evo 2009 controls badly with the analogue stick, the controls don't seem to have ported well from the PS2, which is weird.

I prefer the camera's to FIFA, and the games feel more open, and everything on FIFA seems tiny, so I can actually see shit. I just feel the controls seem more natural on FIFA, and the moving and shooting on Pro Evo 09 are wildly erratic.

Also, while the games are more open, in that it feels like there's more space for players to move into, they don't, they just stand around and do nothing. FIFA feels like 22 players rammed into a pitch the size of a small elevator, but at least they move intelligently around the elevator!

Basically, if I was rich, I'd have a huge HDTV and I'd probably get FIFA, so I could actually see where the fuck the ball was half of the time and enjoy the default camera views a bit more. Of course, if I was rich, I could afford a PS3 just to play Pro Evo with a decent D-Pad and a control pad that fits it perfectly. Fact is, I'm not rich, so I'm not paying money for either version. I'll rent methinks.

And I could get Pro Evo on the PS2 I presume, but last years was the same as the year before with only slight tweaking while all the next gen consoles got the majority of the new features, so I'm not as eager to do that again.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I'll say it's grown on me a bit, possibly down to getting used to the analogue stick, possibly down to playing with a mate who can make the runs the CPU refuses too.

Tackling is awful, keepers are dire.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I reckon the tackling will grow on you, I'm getting meatier and meatier as I go along :shifty: . Lost my first two games without scoring on 'professional' level, before finally nabbing a scrambled goal with Robbie Keane and was delighted to see that cartwheel roly-poly again, even stood up to join in the pistol bit. So yeah, scoring goals is definitely satisfying. Drew 1-1 in the end though, which was upsetting.

Worst thing so far is the fact it took 5 hours to download, starting about 6 on Monday. Came in from playing footie about quarter past 7 and its at 51%, 4 hours later it finished...

This threads dropped quite a lot a week prior to release...

Has anyone pre-ordered it, where from, and are they usually quite good for same day releases? I've got the day off work on Friday (not solely for Pro Evo, expecting a heavy night on Thursday) and would rather it drop through the door than spend time trawling shops while hungover. But I do still want to make sure I get it on the day to give me something to do, any advice?

So, what are Hull City called in the game? That's the big question. My brother and I have been hoping that, in the tradition of "Merseyside Red", they'll be Humberside Amber.

Just Humberside is probably a good guess as to what it will be. That and Stoke being Staffordshire.

Whilst i'm here, if I am to get this, one of the factors is the Legend mode. However, after playing some of the demo with just one player selected i'm not so sure. My team mates proved fairly incompetent. Perhaps the team not playing to my style (and me not being able to dictate that style) is off putting, that and the fact that the games on the demo last all off about 5 seconds.

Edited by King eLLis

This threads dropped quite a lot a week prior to release...

Has anyone pre-ordered it, where from, and are they usually quite good for same day releases? I've got the day off work on Friday (not solely for Pro Evo, expecting a heavy night on Thursday) and would rather it drop through the door than spend time trawling shops while hungover. But I do still want to make sure I get it on the day to give me something to do, any advice?

You're best off going to somewhere like Asda on the Thursday, because nine times out of ten it's in there a day early. Then again, it's in most shops a day early, just so they can get one over on the other shops.

Looking forward to it. Played Fifa the other day after so much hype and found it to be almost laughable. It's not more 'realistic' what so ever in my eyes. And I feel for the people playing it on PS2, because it somehow seems it's got worst over last years. They apparently try to make it like Pro, yet somehow seemingly make some of the gameplay TOO slow. The problem I still have is it doesn't feel like real football what so ever. I'm no Fifa hater, because I wish they would make it awesome because they've got the potential but keep wasting it. Based on what I've played, I'll certainly be sticking to Pro yet again.

Oh and a question. Has any football game actually had the rule of back passing? I mean where the keeper actually picks it up and a free kick gets given inside the box etc? I know it doesn't happen a great deal in football, but would it really be that hard to have it put in one of the games where it happens every once in a hundred games? That's one of the things that actually annoy me at times, because they seem to try and push the realistic factor, when they really could help a great deal with just small things like this and the offside system and numerous other things.

I'll do what I've done the last few years, visit the small indy games shop in town on Thursday, in the hope they are selling it early to take some custom off chains like GAME and Gamestation, then failing that hit Morrisons as it's on my bus route home. Failing that, get up early Friday.