Toonami Cancelled

The Mask of Norro

Just caught wind of this from someone, but apparently yesterday was the last airing of Toonami on Cartoon Network. I can't say I'm not surprised, the whole thing's gone downhill over the years, but it's actually kind-of sad to see it go. I spent a good chunk of my childhood watching that segment of Cartoon Network, it used to have an excellent line-up of shows and really could draw you in for a couple of hours of fun.

Over the years they've been trying to keep up with modern trends, but... they really haven't kept up all too well. What was their biggest selling point as of recent times? Naruto, I believe. They kept DBZ on this whole time which, while awesome, is an interesting decision all things considered, because other, newer animes could have drawn in more of an audience had they given it a shot.

Guess they were just going for the old loyals in the DBZ fanbase or something. Anyway.

So yeah, share your memories of the old late '90s and early '00s of Toonami, back before it began degrading itself in the sad thing it became before it was canceled (my opinion, of course >_> ).

I have to admit though, having just caught the final segment they aired... the ode to Cowboy Bebop by TOM at the very end was fucking immense, all things considered. Seriously, looking back over the years and the shows that were aired on Toonami... they had some really, really great moments. It's just a shame that in recent years it's fallen as hard as it has.

Like I said in Donators, Toonami was a fair part of my childhood. I still have fond memories of coming home from school, getting a snack and sitting down to watch stuff like Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo etc. so it holds a place in my heart as silly as it sounds. It is sad to see how far it's fallen though.

And where the fuck am I gonna watch episodes of Samurai Jack now?

Thinking about it; in general there were some really awesome child TV shows. As a child I was insanly into Pokemon, DBZ, Beyblade, Spiderman, Medabots, and mainly Yu-Gi-Oh. It's so weird to look over this kind of stuff. Each oen of those I went through a phase where I was just in love with it. It's a shame, really. You really got some special TV programs for kids. I could never get into Ed Edd and Eddy and Dexter's Lab. I always prefered the shows I mentioned above. Toonami will be missed.

At the end of Toonami's final airing, the host, voiced by Steven Blum, ended the block with a final monologue and then "bang", echoing the final word of his character Spike Spiegel at the end of Cowboy Bebop.

And I missed it! Bastards.

Kind of sad that Toonami died so quietly. It was the only cartoon channel I liked, it had some great shows. Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, Clone Wars, Pokémon, Teen Titans, even One Piece I could easily watch. And they still showed Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls.

I was wondering why I couldn't find anything to watch today.

R.I.P. Toonami. Childhood and recent memories too.