Best season of a series EVAR?

Liam

I was thinking about this myself, and thusly won't actually give an answer now, but I was just wondering what people thought was the best season of a TV show. I mean, people tie themselves to the mast of the TV shows they like, but with so many running up several seasons, I was looking for people to pick out the exact season that they like more than any other.

Preferably one season, with a reason, but you know, go crazy >_>

Arrested Development, Season 2

Dexter, Season 1

Lost, Season 1

Veronica Mars, Season 1

The Simpsons, Season 4

The rule for me is that dramas usually start hot and then gradually get worse once they stop having one set, defined purpose, while comedies usually get a lot better after a season or two to get their feet on the ground.

The rule for me is that dramas usually start hot and then gradually get worse once they stop having one set, defined purpose, while comedies usually get a lot better after a season or two to get their feet on the ground.

Maybe add a clause of *except sci-fi dramas. :shifty: For example most of the Star Trek series (I'm thinking more of DS9/Voyager) reached their peak around season 5 or, in DS9's case, 6. Babylon 5 was comically poor at points in season 1 and was probably at its best around season 3.

The only exception I can think of for that rule on comedies is Black Books, which really just hit the ground running and I can't pick between the 3 seasons. But yeah, for the most part that's right. i.e. Red Dwarf V/VI, Yes Prime Minister season 1 [season 4 effectively, after Yes Minister 1-3], Blackadder the Third, etc.

I won't even try to identify a 'best season' of all TV series. That's just ludicrous. >_>

Just going off the top of my head, I only picked these shows, since these were the easiest ones for me to choose from.

Alias, Season 2 (really, this is the show at it's absolute peak, a perfect season)

The Simpsons, Season 8 (toss up between this and Season 7, but this one had more of my favorite episodes than 7)

The Shield, Season 4 (great storylines that season, and Anthony Anderson made a great bad guy.)

Nip/Tuck, Season 2 (I stopped caring for Nip Tuck around the Season where Christian hooked up with the black chick with the old husband. I'm not sure if this (Season 2) is the Season I'm thinking of, but it's the one where Sean finds out Christian and Julia had slept together, and Matt's not his son.)

Just going off the top of my head, I only picked these shows, since these were the easiest ones for me to choose from.

Alias, Season 2 (really, this is the show at it's absolute peak, a perfect season)

The Simpsons, Season 8 (toss up between this and Season 7, but this one had more of my favorite episodes than 7)

The Shield, Season 4 (great storylines that season, and Anthony Anderson made a great bad guy.)

Nip/Tuck, Season 2 (I stopped caring for Nip Tuck around the Season where Christian hooked up with the black chick with the old husband. I'm not sure if this (Season 2) is the Season I'm thinking of, but it's the one where Sean finds out Christian and Julia had slept together, and Matt's not his son.)

Was that the black guy from IA who was hellbent on destroying Mackay (Macky? Mackey?)? If so, then hell yes I agree, dude was frustrating as all hell.

Twin Peaks Series 1

Six Feet Under Series 1

The Simpsons Series 8

South Park Series 6

I'm Alan Partridge Series 1

Six Feet Under series 3, without a doubt. It starts on such a downer, it ends on such a downer, the middle is wonderfully down. It's just a brutally brutal chain of events that is just very wonderful.

Was that the black guy from IA who was hellbent on destroying Mackay (Macky? Mackey?)? If so, then hell yes I agree, dude was frustrating as all hell.

Dragsy, I think you mean Forrest Whitaker, who was also awesome in The Shield. Anthony Anderson (who used to be in Hang Time) plays Antwon Mitchell, the black man who goes 'straight' but is basically running areas of the city, taking on Mackey. Fat bloke.

But yeah, the Forrest Whitaker one is probably my favourite series (number 5 I believe), or maybe 2, with the build up to the Armenian money train.

Was Season 2 of The Shield the one that had that dude Vic beat the shit out of with a Law book and then burnt his face on the stove, come after Ronnie? That season was pretty awesome as well. Especially with Claudette investigating into the Strike Team, only for her bosses to make her stop her investigation.

Edited by Baby Hewey

Firefly season 1 ¬_¬

Honestly, I'm not big on watching television, what I do watch is mostly select shows that I end up watching over and over because I'm not really the kind of person that can just sit down and watch anything, so I don't really come into contact with many shows that I didn't already know about, or get told about by friends. That being said...

Buffy, Season Two

I don't know if anyone here really watched it while it was on, but Buffy to me is one of the bigger parts of my childhood for various reasons I don't really want to go into, so I'll always love this show and after years of watching it over and over (I must have seen all of it atleast 20-30 times now) Season Two really is unbeatable. Angelus will always be the best Bad Guy from Buffy, simply because he had a hold over her that she couldn't break, she couldn't bring herself to kill him which made the entire season more thrilling, because even when she had the advantage and the chance, you were still wondering 'Can she do it?' (with the answer often being no.) The episode Passion really is the height of television greatness for me, with Giles losing Jenny, his assult on the warehouse, the scene at the end where Buffy tells him that she needs him and the narration by Angel just all combines to make fantastic television. Buffy was always good (in my opinion), but none of the other seasons even touched on Season Two's greatness. Though, there were some episodes that were at that quality.

Have to agree with Buffy Season Two. Absolutely everything I loved about Buffy had at least a finger in the season two pie (except Tara), and there was none of the bad bits (like Riley, or Gloria) to sour it.

So I'd have to go with either Buffy Season Two, or Firefly Season 0.5 (:shifty:). I really don't watch much else... at least, not drama/sci-fi/comedy series'. The only other show I actually watch/watched regularly is Heroes, and that's above this lowly mortal thread. :P

Edited by Farmer Reil

Have to agree with Buffy Season Two. Absolutely everything I loved about Buffy had at least a finger in the season two pie (except Tara), and there was none of the bad bits (like Riley, or Gloria) to sour it.

So I'd have to go with either Buffy Season Two, or Firefly Season 0.5 ( :shifty: ). I really don't watch much else... at least, not drama/sci-fi/comedy series'. The only other show I actually watch/watched regularly is Heroes, and that's above this lowly mortal thread. :P

Riley? Never heard off him. I wiped that abortion from my mind :x

Though, Marc Blucas is a good actor, he just got the short end of the straw when he was brought in to replace Angel. :(

You also have my undying respect for listing Firefly and Buffy. ^_^

I'd say The Sopranos Season 1.

Honestly pretty well everything from the show up until the last season was fantastic but I feel Season 1 perfectly caught that balance between family life and mafia life. David Chase and company just never seemed to perfectly strike that balance again IMO.

It's a tough one choosing my favourite season of The Wire, but it's probably season 4. It's incredible to think of the number of kids they had playing convincing roles - not the typical 'children pretending to be adults' bollocks that you usually get. It touched all the bases that make The Wire great - the reality of living on the streets, the police department, drug dealing, politics and added the school system.

Teachers - Season 2

Waking The Dead - Season 5

Peep Show - Season 4

Men Behaving Badly - Season 4

Coupling - Season 2

Friends - Season 2

Black Books - Season 3

The Grimleys - Season 2

Life On Mars - Season 1

Mighty Boosh - Season 1

Monkey Dust - Season 3 (why they wont release seasons 2/3 on DVD I don't know. The "PAEDO-FINDER GENERAL!" is the greatest character in anything ever)

Veronica Mars - Season 2

The OC - Season 1

One Tree Hill - Season 3

How I Met Your Mother - Season 2

South Park - Season 4

Family Guy - Season 2

American Dad - Season 2

Scrubs - Season 2

I'm Alan Partridge - Season 1

Phoenix Nights - Season 1

Hustle - Season 2

I'm so missing some stuff. Meh.

Edited by YI

I believe that Frasier : Series Two is a masterclass in comedy.

I'm edging towards season two of Frasier also, the sad thing with Frasier in this catagory is that so many quality episodes are so randomly spread about through the seasons (i.e stuff like Moondance, season 3 and the Ski Lodge in season 5). Teachers season 2 is another good shout. Currently my choice is Dexter season 1, it's amazing how many twists and turns that program has.

I'll echo the Season Two of Buffy comments.

I'll also say Season Four of Angel...up until the pregnancy. The season was utter perfection for the vast majority and the whole story began in pretty much the first episode. I can only imagine how awesome it would've been if Charisma Carpenter hadn't gotten pregnant. Personally I think she should've been killed off because once she "turned heel" she was pretty much a useless shell of her former character and added nothing.

Heroes Season One is the best first season in history. Near perfection from start to finish which is amazing for a brand new show. However Season Two (and to a certain extent Three) have taken something away from it that. It's almost like Season One is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Season Two and Three are Star Trek: Voyager; they have the same name but are totally different.