Metal Gear headed to 360?

PkmnTrainerJ

nextmetalg287633l.jpg

Konami has teased the next Metal Gear game with a mysterious image over on its Japanese website.

There's not a lot to go on. Just an equation that reads "¡ + ! = (power button symbol)", followed by the phrase "A NEXT METAL GEAR IS..."

It's about as enigmatic as a teaser image can get, but the colouring of the equation looks reminiscent of Xbox 360 branding - particularly with the power symbol. Unless the colouring around your 360 power button is red, that is...

Of course, the power logo itself is used on a wide range of consumer electronics including, of course, the PlayStation 3.

Rumours have abounded that Konami is looking to stick MGS4 on the 360, but it seems unlikely that the publisher would call it the "next" game. That said, the use of the word "A" suggests there could be more than one new game in the pipeline. Or it could be bad use of English, given that this is Konami's Japanese site - a possibility that throws all kinds of confusion into the mix.

In case it helps in your rampant speculation, SPOnG pulled the Konami's Flash file location out of the web page's code. It ends: /mgst/images/mark.swf

We get an added 's' - probably for 'Solid'. We also get a 't' - more than likely for 'teaser' and the word 'mark' - probably because of the exclamation marks.

There was a spot of Apple branding in MGS4, with Snake using an iPod. Maybe an iPhone entry to the series could be on the way with a version of Metal Gear AC¡D?

Whatever it is, we have to admit that a bit of pre-Xmas teasing certainly gets the juices flowing.

The teaser thing is here - http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/mgst/?ref=kjp_jp

As me and Benji were discussing, if it does head to 360, what franchises does that leave Sony with that are just their own?

Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, God of War...

I think it's sillyness. It's a power button logo.

Oh yeah, I forgot God Of War. Uncharted and LBP don't have sequels released yet, so don't register for me as a franchise yet. Last I remember the Heavenly Sword 2 thing seemed to be going down the pan.

There's also Gran Turismo , Ridge Racer, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone , and er, Singstar.

Uncharted 2 has been announced, and has a teaser trailer out, and if you don't think LBP will be getting a sequel, you're nuts.

Yeah that's a PS3 power logo.

I heard there may be some MGS stuff coming on phones or something like that though.

Also there WAS the ipod crossover on MGS4 with the ingame ipod, advertising etc so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something linking the PS3 with ipod with regards to MGS.

You have to realise that in Japan folk get excited about the same game getting released in a different colour box. An MGS-decorated Ipod would excite far too many people, for example. I believe that one of Konami's plans following MGS4's release was an MGS4 ipod.

Also as far as Sony franchises:

Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Singstar, Buzz, Killzone, Resistance, Motorstorm, Everybody's Golf, Uncharted (to come), LBP (no doubt more to come), Way Of The Samurai, the new Yakuza, Formula One, Eye Toy stuff, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Ico corp stuff, God of War, SOCOM, numerous other smaller franchises.....

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Yeah that is the power button symbol that's on the PS3. I doubt it means anything.

But the power symbol is green, and the PS3 has a green light that come on when the power is on. So maybe you can only play the next Metal Gear when your PS3 is actually on..... :shifty:

Besides, we all know the XBox power button is red. :pervert:

If it's anything but a 360, Konami are fucking genius' for tricking people, because only a fool would dominantly suspect otherwise when that button is basically the X-Box 360's perenial logo and they're on what is considered their closest rival.

If that sentence made any sense, go me.

Surely if anything is a perennial logo for the X-box it's, well, the X?

The sheer ambiguity of the equation is frustrating and I'm not even a fan of MGS. The i could suggest an apple product, the green could suggest X-box, the power button could allude to any number of things. Fair play to them for generating interest, but I can't help but feel it's a big fuss over nothing.

M$ does use a logo just like that for some of their marketing so it's easy to see why people might think this. There are a couple of shirts that have this logo on the avatar creator, I think Maxx is using one ATM if you look in his sig.

Surely if anything is a perennial logo for the X-box it's, well, the X?

The sheer ambiguity of the equation is frustrating and I'm not even a fan of MGS. The i could suggest an apple product, the green could suggest X-box, the power button could allude to any number of things. Fair play to them for generating interest, but I can't help but feel it's a big fuss over nothing.

Yes, but what's going to generate more interest? A subtle power button that gets even people not interested in MGS chatting about it, or a giant X that's so obvious that it's only really pre-existing fans that get hyped about it? Like I say, it COULD be something else, but it seems like that should be the dominant thought, why all the hype over MGS on an iPod or anything else (except, perhaps, the Wii)? It'd just end up a massive dissapointment to the advertisement in my book.