Hot Stove 08-09

Lowerdeck

DMN, what are your thoughts on Chad Billingsley? me and a friend were argueing if he had the talent to make a run at the Cy Young this year. I told my friend of course he does, do you think he has a shot at winning the Cy Young?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodgers won this deal anyway you look at it, HttK. They didn't bid against themselves, anything else is minor quibbling. Boras took a gamble, and lost.

The one year deal thing is good for LA as well. Manny can't 'be Manny', because it'll ruin his chances for a future contract. He's gotta play all out all the time. Its as much a protection for LA as it is an out for Manny.

Now, if we can just scrounge up some pitching, we can make noise in the playoffs.

They won in the take that they didn't bid against anyone, yes. However, they went from a contract in which they controlled half the money in the deal to a contract in which Manny has the option for the second year and controls ALL the money in the deal. That's what I'm talking about. I'd say that 20m isn't minor quibbling but I guess that's because I'm a poor bastard.

DMN, what are your thoughts on Chad Billingsley? me and a friend were argueing if he had the talent to make a run at the Cy Young this year. I told my friend of course he does, do you think he has a shot at winning the Cy Young?

I think Cy Young is a reach. I just hope he wins 15 to 20 games this year. The Dodgers line-up is going to be a monster, top three in the NL, easily, but the pitching staff is the weak link. They're pretty much banking on Jason Schmidt to come back or Billingsley to become an ace.

I think Cy Young is a reach. I just hope he wins 15 to 20 games this year. The Dodgers line-up is going to be a monster, top three in the NL, easily, but the pitching staff is the weak link. They're pretty much banking on Jason Schmidt to come back or Billingsley to become an ace.

Well he did win 16 games last year didn't he? i wouldn't predict the cy young, i think Jake Peavy will take it again. Of course Zambrano, Harden, Webb, Hamels, Lincecum(Sp?), Carpenter(if he's healthy), and of course Johan, they could all take it.

It should be a good race this year.

Who do you think wins the Cy Youngs in each league?

I think Jake Peavy wins the NL, and AJ Burnett wins the AL.

Well he did win 16 games last year didn't he? i wouldn't predict the cy young, i think Jake Peavy will take it again. Of course Zambrano, Harden, Webb, Hamels, Lincecum(Sp?), Carpenter(if he's healthy), and of course Johan, they could all take it.

You would pick Burnett over Sabathia...or Burnett over Halladay?

I think Halladay is the better pitcher but won't get the wins because of a down year for the Blue Jays. I think Burnett has better stuff then C.C. and i think if he stays healthy will benefit from the Yankees lineup and will win 19-21 games this year, and will be top 3 in K's, which i think will give him the nod.

AJ seems to have matured and i think if he stays that way he will dominate hitters much like Beckett did during the Playoffs for Boston when they won the Series last. Burnett went 18-10 last year, if he pitches as good he should get remarkably better results. AJ has some of the best "stuff" in the league and unlike Oliver Perez he has shown he can put it together, i think pitching in NY, with the lineup they have that it will help him get wins and he will flourish under Girardi.

I think Halladay is the better pitcher but won't get the wins because of a down year for the Blue Jays. I think Burnett has better stuff then C.C. and i think if he stays healthy will benefit from the Yankees lineup and will win 19-21 games this year, and will be top 3 in K's, which i think will give him the nod.

AJ seems to have matured and i think if he stays that way he will dominate hitters much like Beckett did during the Playoffs for Boston when they won the Series last. Burnett went 18-10 last year, if he pitches as good he should get remarkably better results. AJ has some of the best "stuff" in the league and unlike Oliver Perez he has shown he can put it together, i think pitching in NY, with the lineup they have that it will help him get wins and he will flourish under Girardi.

Its going to be a down year for the Jays, but not Halladay. He had a weaker team last year because of the large numbers of injuries. Our line-up will be better this season. It is our pitching staff that is much weaker with McGowan gone for a few months and Marcum gone for the year.

Its going to be a down year for the Jays, but not Halladay. He had a weaker team last year because of the large numbers of injuries. Our line-up will be better this season. It is our pitching staff that is much weaker with McGowan gone for a few months and Marcum gone for the year.

fuck. i didn't hear about that what happend to Marcum? and where did McGowan go?

Well you still have Halladay, and Litsch looks to be improving.

I just think that with the Yankees lineup that if Burnett pitched like he did last year it's his Cy Young to win, i like Halladay he's my third favorite AL pitcher (Behind Scott Baker and Joe Nathan), But i just feel that this is Burnetts year to win it. Hell maybe he wont or will get hurt and i'll look like a complete dumbass(wouldn't be a first) but i just have the feeling he will win it this year.

I think Halladay will make a push though, and he may win it, he is def one of the better pitchers in the league.

Pfft.

Everybody knows that Zack Greinke will win it. :shifty:

Seriously though, I think that Scott Kazmir is a dark horse for the AL this year.

And I hope to god that Carpenter is at least CLOSE to being the pitcher he was a couple of years ago, the Cardinals desperately need him to stay healthy. But I could definitely see Lincecum repeating as I think he's only going to get better and that team will be a bit better this year too.