Hot Stove 08-09

Lowerdeck

No, he's a prick. Everybody in baseball thinks the guy is a prick because of the way he does his business, not because he's good at it. There are plenty of agents that do their job well that aren't pricks but he's by and large, considered a huge one.

No other agent gets their clients as much money as Boras does, and thats his job.

I don't see how he is a prick, everything i've heard people say bad about him, helps him do his job better. I could be missing something.

Anyways;

I'm so psyched that The Minnesota Twins actually spent some money and signed Joe Crede. I think if he stays healthy and preforms well we win the AL Central this year.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he's a prick. He's talented, but a prick.

See: Mark Teixeira and Boston

i'm not up on that, what exactly happened there?

Apparently Teixeira's (hot) wife decided Mark was playing in New York. But then waited about two weeks later, just so Boras could play Boston and get more money out of the Yankees.

So the Red Sox thought they had a shot, and didn't. And the Yankees, thinking Boston was still in there, threw in another 20-25M total.

No, he's a prick. He's talented, but a prick.

See: Mark Teixeira and Boston

i'm not up on that, what exactly happened there?

Apparently Teixeira's (hot) wife decided Mark was playing in New York. But then waited about two weeks later, just so Boras could play Boston and get more money out of the Yankees.

So the Red Sox thought they had a shot, and didn't. And the Yankees, thinking Boston was still in there, threw in another 20-25M total.

seems too be his wifes fault. plus if it is his, he got his player 20-25M more, that makes him great at what he does not a prick.

Manny signs with Dodgers 2 for 45.

Red Sox thought Boras was bluffing about having a better offer. Problem isn't Boras. Problem is teams outbidding themselves. If teams called his bluff more maybe he'd lose more. Only time I can remember is with Millwood. He said he had a 5 year deal for him a couple of years ago and ended up signing for one.

I just hate Scott Boras because he planted it in Manny's head that Boston was turning against him in order to get him to opt out, and then allowing Boras to actually make money off of having Manny as his client.

Totally unethical and people need to take a stand against something like that.

Edited by damshow

I just hate Scott Boras because he planted it in Manny's head that Boston was turning against him in order to get him to opt out, and then allowing Boras to actually make money off of having Manny as his client.

Totally unethical and people need to take a stand against something like that.

I've heard of agents doing worse. For instance, didn't Brian Urlacher (I think it was Urlacher) sign a new contract with the Bears, later changed agents, and that new agent got him to renegotiate a new one simply because that agent wouldn't be getting a cut of the money from the one he had already signed?

Seems to me that if a player signs a contract, then switches agents and the new agent tries to get him to renegotiate, the team (or Commissioner) should be able to just tell the agent to piss off.

I don't like Boras, either, for the record.

Are you fucking kidding me? You can't see how its unethical for an agent to convince a player to play like shit, so he can get traded and get a better contract elsewhere? You really can't see that? These fucks get paid millions of dollar to hit a fucking ball, and you see no problem with their agents getting them to weasel out of contracts and play like shit to get even more money?

Boras manipulated Ramirez into dogging his play and convinced him that everyone in Boston was against him, all so Boras could get more money for himself. How can you even think that isn't unethical?

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

Are you fucking kidding me? You can't see how its unethical for an agent to convince a player to play like shit, so he can get traded and get a better contract elsewhere? You really can't see that? These fucks get paid millions of dollar to hit a fucking ball, and you see no problem with their agents getting them to weasel out of contracts and play like shit to get even more money?

Boras manipulated Ramirez into dogging his play and convinced him that everyone in Boston was against him, all so Boras could get more money for himself. How can you even think that isn't unethical?

Because Manny did his own play dodging, he didn't have to. Boras's job is to make his player and himself as much money as possible. He did that, and if manny really was holding back then he's the worse one and he's retarded.

Bottom Line, Scott Boras did what he is paid to do, get Manny what he wants.

You're really misinformed about Manny Ramirez aren't you. You realize throughout his career there have been stories about him leaving his game checks sitting in his locker for weeks, or even longer, perhaps never even cashing them. So tell me, why would a guy who seemingly couldn't give two shits about money suddenly decide he wants millions and millions?

Do yourself a favor and read this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny

Get somewhat educated about the situation before you go defending scum, because thats exactly what agents like Boras and Rosenhaus are, scum. They feed off talented people to get themselves money. Thats why they drive up salaries, so they can get more money.

A player who lays down and dies because he wants to be traded or wants more money should actually be worth LESS in a trade or contract negotation (with the same team or a new one), because that shows what kind of character they have; that they care more about themselves than they do their teammates and don't mind blowing their chances if it means more cash or a new team for themself.

And like him or not, you have to admit that Manny wouldn't be nearly entertaining if he wasn't nuts. He's one of the greatest characters in baseball since Dizzy Dean or Yogi Berra.

Edited by GhostMachine

Maybe (ok he did, i'll admitt it) Boras manipulatated Manny into wanting more money, but the Red Sox could have prevented it, they could've/should've extended Manny and not told him to wait, they put it in his hands, and he being the nutjob he is was convinced that he could get a better contract and a team that wanted him. Manny is at fault too here, he took the bait, he played bad, he acted like a jackass before he ever signed Boras. But Boras put him over the edge, But once again Boras isn't scum, it's his job to make money (for himself and manny) and thats just what he did.

You do realize that him being good at his job doesn't equate to not being a prick right? I mean, you can be horrible at your job and still be a prick or you can be like Boras and Rosenhaus and be pricks and be good at your job. They're not hand in hand. I don't know how you don't understand that.

Again, to reiterate, I don't think Boras is a prick for being good at his job; I think he's a prick because he is a prick.

But it comes off as "He's a prick because he does his job" because all those things he's hated for may be prickish or whatever, but they are his job, no one here knows if he's really a prick or he is just willing to do whatever it takes to get his job done and done well.

All i'm saying is everything that i know of that people hate him for are his job, he could be a nice guy noone really knows here, it's all a matter of opinon.

You still don't get it.

Manny's contract with the Sox ended in 2008, with club options for two more seasons. Ramirez signed that contract with different agents, then switched to Boras. So if the Red Sox had exercised the options, Manny would have gotten a nice fat bonus and Boras wouldn't have gotten anything.

So, for some reason, Manny Ramirez, who's never cared about money before and would be making plenty of it if he remained in Boston, suddenly decides he doesn't like Boston, the fans and management don't respect him and its in his best interest to leave.

Why? Because Scott Boras convinced him to do it, so he could get traded, void the options and sign a fat new contract that would get Scott Boras more money. Manny was getting money regardless, the entire debacle was about getting Scott Boras more money.

You're making it sound like Ramirez was going to be in the poor house if he remained with the Sox and Scott Boras is some saint that got him the money he deserved. Not the case at all, Manny was going to make something betweeen 8 and 10 million per year had the Sox exercised the options. Scott Boras was going to make nothing.

He's scum because he weasels players out of contracts. Manny signed the contract and was making loads of money, but somehow its okay for him to go off and try and void he way out of the contract? No, not at all. Its a dirtbag move. You signed the contract with the team, the team payed you well, you fucking hold up your end of the bargain and play. Unless your agent is Scott Boras.

Lets also not forget Scott Boras is the guy who decided his clients are bigger than the game itself and chose to announce A-Rod opting out of his deal with Yankees DURING the World Series. Yeah, thats not scummy at all.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate