Hot Stove 08-09

Lowerdeck

Yanks signed CC Sabathia today... 7 years for 161 million total. So much for going to the west coast when the Yanks just come along and throw money until personal preferences go out the window.

The Mets get a closer with K-Rod for about 11M a year, question now is who are the other six guys joining him in the bullpen?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yanks signed CC Sabathia today... 7 years for 161 million total. So much for going to the west coast when the Yanks just come along and throw money until personal preferences go out the window.

That's not entirely true. This one I actually don't pin on the Yankees being the Yankees. They put that much out there because it would take that to get him there, not because it would be the best bid. The Angels/Dodgers/Giants had already priced themselves out of Sabathia due to other moves in recent years, or whom they wanted this year. The Yankees knew it would take more to get him to go to NY. It basically ended up being a 21m "new york tax" they paid to get him in pinstripes (the original offer was around 140m). Cashman even went out to the west coast to talk with his family.

they also traded cabrera for 70,000 year old mike cameron (who's 10m a year by the way). Yeah, I get that he's a great friend and all to sabathia, but seriously wtf ?

And yeah, the Mets are finally making the RIGHT moves, not just moves. It's about time.

Oh, and I bet Furcal is wishing he wouldn't have just shat on the A's like that. He might have to go back to the table with them with his tail between his legs.

The thing that irritates me about baseball (and the Yankees in particular) is the fact that one team can spend more to get a, what, #2 or 3 starter in A.J. Burnett than other franchises' entire two-year payroll. $80M offer to him on the heels of the 161 to Sabathia.

Bleh.

The NBA has it right, with a system that's more about keeping teams together than four or six franchises going out and raping everyone else. (And I include my two favorites, the Mets and Braves, in the list of rapists. Double bleh.)

I still would have loved seeing Sabathia stay in the NL, because seriously, that fucker can rake. I love pitchers who can actually be dangerous at the plate. Him and Zambrano are so fun to watch.

The thing that irritates me about baseball (and the Yankees in particular) is the fact that one team can spend more to get a, what, #2 or 3 starter in A.J. Burnett than other franchises' entire two-year payroll. $80M offer to him on the heels of the 161 to Sabathia.

Bleh.

The NBA has it right, with a system that's more about keeping teams together than four or six franchises going out and raping everyone else. (And I include my two favorites, the Mets and Braves, in the list of rapists. Double bleh.)

I still would have loved seeing Sabathia stay in the NL, because seriously, that fucker can rake. I love pitchers who can actually be dangerous at the plate. Him and Zambrano are so fun to watch.

Yeah, this baseball renaissance of the last few years is going to be shortlived unless the small-market teams are given more of an opportunity to keep their teams together. It's something I've been saying for awhile, and the gap between the teams in big cities and the teams not in big cities is growing every season.

I completely disagree. I don't believe the gap between smaller and bigger market teams is getting large in the least... in fact, I see the opposite effect. A lot of small market teams just seem to 'get it' now, and you see teams the smart teams like Minnesota & Tampa building teams locking up their major players eariler in their career. True, big market teams like New York(s) are always going to be able to buy a competitive team, but that's shown to be a double edge sword, because lately their teams have crumbled when they face teams with slightly less talent, but loaths more chemistry.

With that said, I love the moves both New York teams have made. They both had obvious holes in their teams, and filled them with the best players money can buy. The move I question is the BoSox going after Tex. If they sign him and use him to replace Lowell, that's one thing. However there are rumors going around that they want to use Tex to replace Ortiz... which is a HUGE mistake and would kill chemistry with the team.

I haven't heard anything about a replacement for Ortiz. It's usually Lowell that's the one that's the odd man out.

I fail to see the point anyway. We don't really need Teixeira. We still have Youks at 1B and Lowell at 3B for a couple years. And if Lowell goes away or craps out, we move Youks to third. Apparently there's a pretty good prospect down the line named Lars Anderson, who plays 1B.

Yeah but apparently they're worried about Lowell's and Ortiz's health (moreso Lowell though) and don't want to rely on somebody who could be good. Besides, what's a better counter punch to the Yankees CC move than by getting the best hitter on the market?

Guest TheHaitianCrustacean

The Yankees have C.C. and A.J., and I don't suspect Lowe will be far behind. I really think they did well with the Sabathia contract, but the Burnett contract is garbage. The Red Sox should be able to get Teixeira now, seeing as how they only have to compete with the Angels as far as realistic destinations.

I see things shaking out as follows:

Red Sox sign Mark Teixeira to an eight-year deal worth $184 million, with the possibility through options and incentives to be a ten-year, $250 million deal. With the Red Sox now sitting on Teixeira, Kevin Youkilis, David Ortiz, and Mike Lowell at the corners, they trade Kevin Youkilis to the Washington Nationals for Cristian Guzman. Youkilis has more trade value than Lowell and Ortiz is a 10/5 player, as well as the heart of the clubhouse. Now the infield is inhabited by Ortiz (DH), Teixeria (1B), Pedroia (2B), Guzman (SS), and Lowell (3B). Julio Lugo and his big contract may be hard to get rid of, but, packaged with the right prospect, it could happen. I do see it happening, with a three-team deal involving the Dodgers and the Rangers. The Red Sox get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Tony Abreu, and Juan Pierre, the Dodgers get Hank Blalock, Julio Lugo, and Jed Lowrie, and the Rangers get Clay Buchholz and Clayton Kershaw. It's a complicated deal, for sure, but the Red Sox get their catcher of the future, a young utility guy, and their fourth outfielder (whose $8 million contract figure helps with moving Lugo). The Dodgers get a run-producer in Blalock and two middle infielders in Lugo and Lowrie. The Rangers get two, young, cheap starting pitchers. Each team has their risks here, as the Red Sox are now thinner in the infield and lost two good prospects, the Dodgers are getting question marks in Blalock and Lugo, and the Rangers are getting question marks in Buchholz and Kershaw. However, I think needs are filled all around, and the numbers work.

Red Sox Lineup:

Pedroia, 2B

Drew, RF

Teixeira, 1B

Ortiz, DH

Bay, LF

Lowell, 3B

Guzman, SS

Saltalamacchia, C

Ellsbury, CF

Kottaras, C

Pierre, OF

Abreu, IF

???, 1B/3B

Yes, might all be crazy, but at least it's semi-different.

Also, shot in the dark, but I think Manny Ramirez 'retires' when the Dodgers only offer him two-years, $25 million, only to come back to play for the Nationals for three-years, $50 million.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, just when I give them credit for the Sabathia deal they turn right back around and show that they really are just the fucking Yankees throwing money around. I love the fact that they'll find a way to dick themselves out of the playoffs despite overpaying for Burnett and Texy.