Hot Stove 08-09

Lowerdeck

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the two people? It was called in by a reporter who was there to the radio station. I believe the person was being interviewed by MLB.com or MLBTV, so I'll try to find that. I will edit this post when I do.

That's the last story detailing the upcoming vote (as of 2/12)

While INSIDE City Hall may be full, support is sparse outside

Edited by CQI13

Well, as stated they'll probably get the 9 they need for the city. The county is where the team expects trouble. City vote started at 9am (have seen no results yet). The vote for the county (where they need 4 of 5) will start at 1pm, but some people expect it won't take place until much later than that.

As for cities, I don't think there are that many cities that would be able to support a team. There had been talks ages ago (when the stadium talk began down here) about San Antonio as a possibility (since they only have the Spurs and whatever minor league teams in other sports. Portland was another name floated out there. Obviously divisions would have to get moved around some way or something. But to be honest, if some other city could support the Marlins (or another baseball team) someone would have moved already. I always see that kind of talk as the owners trying to get leverage.

I am only a little excited for the Blue Jays. Last year was full of injuries and people underperforming. Vernon Wells had a good year despite the injuries. Hopefully he can anchor a line up with a returning Aaron Hill and players like Alex Rios, Scott Rolen and Lyle Overbay hitting better. Adam Lind and Travis Snyder are both expected to be in the line-up, with Lind at DH and Snyder in the field.

See, that's what I'd heard, but now apparently Ricciardi is saying that Snider has to "win his slot". Building a team based on spring is a terrible idea, but I'm assuming Ricciardi was just grandstanding there. Anyway, this team won't be terrible. They've only got two starters and a bunch of ifs, but the offense should be better based solely on the law of averages. The bullpen needs to come up huge this year, but I see us breaking .500 again this year. And beyond that? Well, it's a long season I guess. That's what I love about spring training. Everyone's got a perfect record. The perfect time for a longtime fanboy to delude himself yet again. :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

at this point, Manny is a fucking tard.

At first I was kind of on his side. He really wasn't bothered (too much) about the money issue. He wanted the years. After it became clear that he wasn't going to get 4 from anyone, he started to get stupid with turning down the 2 year offers. Time to "get real" Manny. Holy shit.

I don't see the Mets coming in at this point. They might have the money right now, but the whole naming situation with Citi up in the air really hurts their ability to project future revenue. They can't take a chance like this. The Giants can't sign him to more than 1-2 years and that is apparently out of the question for Manny. the only other teams with the money have zero interest in him.

that said, watch someone like the fucking brewers pony up for 2 years and an option and steal the bastard.

At first I was kind of on his side. He really wasn't bothered (too much) about the money issue. He wanted the years. After it became clear that he wasn't going to get 4 from anyone, he started to get stupid with turning down the 2 year offers. Time to "get real" Manny. Holy shit.

I don't see the Mets coming in at this point. They might have the money right now, but the whole naming situation with Citi up in the air really hurts their ability to project future revenue. They can't take a chance like this. The Giants can't sign him to more than 1-2 years and that is apparently out of the question for Manny. the only other teams with the money have zero interest in him.

that said, watch someone like the fucking brewers pony up for 2 years and an option and steal the bastard.

Do the Brewers even MAKE 45 million in a DECADE? :lol:

Do the Brewers even MAKE 45 million in a DECADE? :lol:

well now that Selig has is dirty hands out of the till .....

and fair enough on Manny, deferred money is shit

It's not going to happen but I wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers deciding to cut their losses and watch Manny sit out at least the first month of the season or something.

I usually don't mind Manny but Scott Boras is the prick of all pricks.

I hope these negotiations bite Manny (well, Boras, actually - I like Manny) in the ass if doesn't sign soon, and he ends up sitting out a while and taking less than the Dodgers have offered to sign him for so far. Because at this point I don't think any other team will sign him; if the Yankees really wanted him like some have claimed, he'd probably be a Yankee by now. He's going to end up out of baseball due to his own stupidity - and his agent's - if he isn't careful.

It's not going to happen but I wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers deciding to cut their losses and watch Manny sit out at least the first month of the season or something.

I usually don't mind Manny but Scott Boras is the prick of all pricks.

he's actually not really. not at all. He just does his job so well, his job is to get his clients as much money as possible, he's good at it too.

It's his job to make his clients as much money as possible.

No, he's a prick. Everybody in baseball thinks the guy is a prick because of the way he does his business, not because he's good at it. There are plenty of agents that do their job well that aren't pricks but he's by and large, considered a huge one.