Crackdown 2 possibly in the works

zero

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171982

Everyone wants Crackdown 2. It's been said over and over again even though Crackdown developer Realtime Worlds has made it clear they're busy at work at APB. And while they've said they regret not immediately moving on to make Crackdown 2 (Realtime Worlds studio manager Colin Macdonald was quoted as saying, "It was a horrible, horrible decision"), they've also said that Crackdown 2 could still happen. When that was stated, it was pretty much assumed that it would be developed by Realtime Worlds. However, VG247 reported earlier today that Microsoft is funding a new developer by the name of Ruffian Games -- home to several former Realtime Worlds employees -- to develop Crackdown 2.

Realtime Worlds issued a statement following the report on Ruffian Games claiming that they "continue to have ongoing discussions" with Microsoft about a Crackdown sequel, although no offer has been made. They had some strong words over the suggestion that Microsoft would hand the game over to a new company. Macdonald said, "I also very much doubt that Microsoft would harm an otherwise fruitful existing development relationship by gambling on funding Crackdown 2 with a startup on RTW's doorstep, for obvious reasons."

Dave Jones, Realtime's CEO and one of the creators of the Grand Theft Auto series, said he would be "gutted" if he wasn't involved with Crackdown 2. He then said, "ut if it had to be that way, I would want to see it done justice -- by an established, renowned developer that had the track record of delivering the quality gaming experience Crackdown players would demand." That's not much of an endorsement for Ruffian, which Macdonald confirmed now employs "five or six" former Realtime staffers.

As a huge fan of Crackdown, I hope the discussions that Macdonald referred to ultimately come to fruition. I'd much rather wait for Realtime to finish up their current projects before beginning development on Crackdown 2 than to see the game show up sooner and not be quite as good as it could be. Good things come to those who wait, after all. Regardless, even if the rumor regarding Ruffian turns out to be true, it'll be some time before we're playing Crackdown 2.

Hopefully this one doesn't suck. A lot of potential in the franchise, but that first game was just a huge disappointment.

The first game was pretty much a turd, the main reason I bought it was because Halo 3 Beta access and it really sounded like it would be an awesome game. The most fun I had was jumping off the tall FBI-like building and getting an achievement from it. Other than that, I don't even remember anything about the story.

I liked Crackdown :angry: Story left something to be desired, but I got to defy conventional laws of physics and just kick the shit out of anything & everything. Only flaw was driving...it wasn't bad, but when you can hop from building to building why would you want to drive?

Crackdown 1 was pretty boss.

Crackdown came bundled with my 360, and without knowing what the hell it was .... I loved that it reminded me of GTA.

GTA with the bonus of having stuff to collect that improves the abilities of your character (The more agility you collect, the higher you can jump - etc) and had a simplistic story mode (Find bad guy, kill bad guy) that didn't frustrate or confuse. I don't like games that are needlessly difficult and realistic. If I need to consult a walkthrough to get to the next level, it isn't the game for me.

For me, Crackdown was a throwback to a time when games were fun. I could switch it on for 20 minutes and entertain myself by blowing shit up, and yet there was still enough optional short-term objectives (Orbs) to keep me coming back for more. Then there was the 2-Player mode, which was all kinds of awesome in a world that was pre-Multiplayer GTA.

Nowadays there are other games out there that do this genre better than Crackdown, but at the time... it was the bomb.

I didn't have any interest in Halo at the time either, so the beta didn't appeal to me.

Then of course I got Halo 3 and fell in love with that. Crackdown was then dumped in favour of the slightly hotter chick (Er, game).

Crackdown 2? Hmmm. I dunno if I'd buy it. Already got Crackdown 1 and GTA. What would I want another sandbox game for? Think they would have to go for a really surreal game to counterbalance GTAs grisly vacuum of realism and misery.

Crackdown was awesome, it was a sandbox/gta clone that actually did something different and fun, there's nothing more hilarious than leaping from ground level to a roof and proceeding to punt a bad guy three miles across town. Hopefully it does come back to Realtime and we get a proper sequel, but I'm definitely interested either way.

Think they would have to go for a really surreal game to counterbalance GTAs grisly vacuum of realism and misery.

:mellow:

Crackdown involves you playing as a super human with the ability to leap over tall buildings, that isn't surreal enough?

And Kaney is right, Crackdown = awesome. I know you guys are just desperate to find out what happens next after the complete and utter bombshell that was the ending to the first game.

Crackdown i thought was a good game the only problem was it did leave a bit to be desired like story mode but it had the right stuff and if it happens and they improve the correct areas the 2nd one will be awesome

Crackdown 1 was pretty boss.

Crackdown came bundled with my 360, and without knowing what the hell it was .... I loved that it reminded me of GTA.

GTA with the bonus of having stuff to collect that improves the abilities of your character (The more agility you collect, the higher you can jump - etc) and had a simplistic story mode (Find bad guy, kill bad guy) that didn't frustrate or confuse. I don't like games that are needlessly difficult and realistic. If I need to consult a walkthrough to get to the next level, it isn't the game for me.

For me, Crackdown was a throwback to a time when games were fun. I could switch it on for 20 minutes and entertain myself by blowing shit up, and yet there was still enough optional short-term objectives (Orbs) to keep me coming back for more. Then there was the 2-Player mode, which was all kinds of awesome in a world that was pre-Multiplayer GTA.

Nowadays there are other games out there that do this genre better than Crackdown, but at the time... it was the bomb.

I didn't have any interest in Halo at the time either, so the beta didn't appeal to me.

Then of course I got Halo 3 and fell in love with that. Crackdown was then dumped in favour of the slightly hotter chick (Er, game).

Crackdown 2? Hmmm. I dunno if I'd buy it. Already got Crackdown 1 and GTA. What would I want another sandbox game for? Think they would have to go for a really surreal game to counterbalance GTAs grisly vacuum of realism and misery.

I think you might enjoy the Saints Row games.

Also, chalk me up as a Crackdown fan, it was an original take on the genre, and how could you not enjoy throwing cars at people?

One of my roommates bought it used and though I haven't played it myself, it looked pretty fun. Jumping to the top of tall buildings unharmed, shooting rockets and throwing cars with your bare hands, how could that not be fun? But I could also see how it could get old quickly. Beyond that, there's not much that you'd actually want to do.

• 8 months later...

I think Crackdown was only big at the time due to circumstance, I played it once at a friends house and was meh'd off my ass.

I've never played Crackdown as I don't have an X-Box, but this is a phrase that needs to be in circulation.

The original crackdown was fun for a short time. I loved the abilities, but the whole boss fight thing sucked and the driving was absolutely horrible. If they can fix those then you'd have something really worth putting time into.