Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

You should check out ONSIND/One Night Stand In North Dakota...one of my favourite discoveries of the year and they're local to me, amazing band, just put out a split CD with Ghost Mice.

You can download their newly released debut album (Dworkin's Bastards) and their demo (and an earlier split with other local artist, Short Term Effect) from archive.org;

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=ONSIND

They're much shoutier/angrier live, but on CD their tunes are still great.

Edited by YI

HOOOOOLY FUCK!!!! THE NEW MEW SONG!!! SWEET JESUS!!! HOOOOLY FUCK!!!

http://www.myspace.com/mew

That my friends...is some mean prog-funk.

The album cover is absolutely fucking disgusting though.

"Frengers" is an absolutely breathtaking album, given it's 'run-on' nature, "...And The Glass Handed Kites" had a bit of filler and tracks I wasn't feeling, but this song is absolutely stunning.

With new Dredg, Mew and Rx Bandits all due in quick succession, such an awesome time. :D

Edited by YI

I think Billy Talent III may be the first album I didn't mind on first listen, then didn't really like on the second. I gave it a second going over after thinking it was alright, and immediately it seems to have lost some appeal.

A few good songs on there but leagues behind their first two efforts if you ask me. Not going to be the worst release of the year, but kinda has that "middle of the road obscurity" feel to it.

BOOOO!!! BOOOO!!!! At the new Pipettes line-up. I mean Rose (fit brunette) is doing solo stuff and has an album out soon, so that's good;

800px-The_Pipettes-Turning-Point-Roundhouse.jpg

What the fuck's Efan Ekoku doing on the end?

So it's 'slaggy blonde', her legit sister and Efan Ekoku...not digging that...what's geggsy up to these days?

Singetrs got a haricuty. opened with "dog"...did msot (maybe all) the EP, but I can't remembetr the 3rd song. I could never understand how peopel on here had saw Reuben likje 8 times...but av seen PBC 3-times withbasiclly the same setlist, and they're just awesome. New album September, did a different new song, was epic. Finished with "Ballads", came back out and encored with !"Most Miserable"...fucking epic!!! Siner threw the mic in my face :D Crowd were a lot deader than Leeds back in March, but to be expected, cos Newcastle's ashit. Defeater FUCKING ROCKED!!! Riner, not so much, but still good. No GUK cover, but al live. Heard they'd been doing that last, came on for encore and said "we have 1 more song" thoguht they might do that, but did "Most Miserable life" and I fucking loved it. Did "Engravers" too. :D Seriosuly, not as good as Leeds for vibe, but the band still give it their all, could never get sick of seeing them/.

Fuuuuck. I just found out that Kings Of Leon and Crystal Castles are both headlining stages/tents on the Friday of T In The Park. I was well up for going to see both of them now I actually have to make a proper decision.

Cunt >_<

It all depends. I saw them at Evolution Festival last year, the open air, 'big' festival stage and the fact it was still light really dampened things. As a whole it was underwhelming and Alice fell off the stage. :shifty:. I'd go with KOL, but it really depends what you fancy. I just don't think Crystal Castles really make that awesome of a festival band. :/

Also there's a high change my throat may never work properly again after a run of "To The Engravers" -> "Parked In The Parking Lot Of Your Heart" (no cool intro though :() -> "Our Ballads" -> "Most Miserable Life"...glorious. If you haven't already...go see Polar Bear Club, seriously. Only got 2-shows left on this tour, Manchester and Norwich. But they're back over for Reading/Leeds, playing an Underworld show with A Wilhelm Scream and I'd presume some other dates. I think they've taken over from Frank Turner as the 'band' I'd happily see over and over again without them changing up a set. According to a draft text in my phone, the full set seems to be (although nobody cares besides Ace, who will purposely make himself not care cos he has sand in his vagina about no good bands coming to Carlisle, although Welsh Attack! Attack! and Lemuria are playing their soon, they're both good);

Eat Dinner, Bury The Dog, And Run

Election Day

Another Night In The Rock

Hollow Place

Resent & Resistance

NEW SONG

Burned Out In A Jar

Bug Parade

To The Engravers

Parked In The Parking Lot Of Your Heart

Our Ballads

----------------------

Most Miserable Life

Defeater were seriously fucking awesome. Crowd were dead, but fuck...brutal shit. Opened with the acoustic part of "Prophet In Plain Clothes", singer's actually got an awesome voice...then he proceeded to shout and scream his lungs out for the rest of the set. :shifty:

While I'm here, tracklisting for forthcoming FYS CD;

01) So Much for the Afterglow [Everclear]

02) Absolutely (Story of a Girl) [Nine Days]

03) Ironic [Alanis Morissette]

04) Bullet with Butterfly Wings [smashing Pumpkins]

05) Semi-Charmed Life [Third Eye Blind]

06) Spiderwebs [No Doubt]

07) Roll to Me [Del Amitri]

08) Fly [sugar Ray]

09) In Bloom [Nirvana]

10) She Really Loved You [Reach The Sky]

11) She's So High [Tal Bachmann]

...oh man, "Story Of A Girl", "Ironic", "Semi Charmed Life" are going to be fucking brilliant, I feel it.

NEW ANDREW WK IN SEPTEMBER!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by YI

Yeah it's Alex the singer/keyboard girl. Don't really know if she's worth replacing to be fair.

Bass is the fittest anyway.

...I'm gutted though, as I just went on their myspace and found out they definitely wont be playing Leeds Festival this year because they're in California. :( BOOO!!! YOU'RE FROM WALES!!! STOP PLAYING AMERICA!!! :(

Better news, they're finishing up on a new record. :D

Edited by YI

Yeah, but you're then looking at what...3-years minimum? Lot of downtime, especially for a band who appear to be churning out 3 albums in 2 years, I honestly expect them to be broken up in about 4 years time. :shifty:

Slow Club's album's finished, it's called "Yeah So", released June/July, tracklist is;

When I Go

Giving Up On Love

I Was Unconscious, It Was A Dream

It Doesn't Have to be Beautiful

There Is No Good Way To Say I Am Leaving You

Trophy Room

Because We're Dead

Dance Till The Morning Light

Sorry About The Doom

Come On Youth

Apples And Pairs

Our Most Brilliant Friends

They've released "It Doesn't Have To Be Beautiful" as a single. Catchy stuff (had some lyrics in my sig the other week :shifty:). The other song "Wild Blue Milk" is a lovely acoustic track.

Edited by YI

Little Boots has leaked...all the first lot of links seem to have been taken down, but it's around, keep you eyes peeled. Fuck it, found it, that wasn't difficult. :shifty:

Also, stumbled across this picture in my search;

2a82hi8.jpg

...yes...definitely a fan. :pervert:

Fuck yeah, the Arthur & Martha album is out too, good times for bird based synthpop.

Edited by YI

"Tune Into My Heart" is now officially the best Little Boots song. Great pop album. Love the fact the song with the fella from Human League just sounds like the 'remix' of that song from Moulin Rouge...which was awesome...should have got Ewan McGregor to do it. :shifty:

Yeah. Actually, there seems to be a bit of a recurring theme of bands playing both Sunderland and Newcastle at the minute. Gig wise, Sunderland's really starting to pick up.

I can't believe that Brokencyde are going to infiltrate 2 of the 3 favourite venues of mine and 2/5 of my favourite drinking establishments in the area though. :( I feel violated. :(

Edited by YI

Okay these last 24-hours have just cemented themselves as the best in music this year. :shifty:

Saw Polar Bear Club and Defeater...Little Boots leaked...found out there's going to be a new Andrew WK album...discover Racing Exit 13...SLOW CLUB LEAKS!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Edited by YI